No Longer Interested: (Ole Gunnar Solskjaer - Molde FK)

VillaGoMarching

Although i feel i have been coaxed into the excitement of a young unproven manager by watching the video and seeing everyone else's excitement i am a little reserved too.

I can't let the fact that he is managing at perhaps league 1 level with some part timers as members of his playing squad. It is an awfully big step. Not saying it isn't possible for him to come in and work wonders but he also has an awful playing squad to deal with.

It is not going to be easy to offload some of the rubbish on our books even as free transfers as their wages are cost prohibitive for most sides.

So not only is he unproven but also has a mammoth task of stripping the squad and trying to buy layers that fit with his idea of how he wants to play.

I think the big question is Randy going to finance a complete overhaul?

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone like OGS comes in (although there is nobody quite like OGS):

5% Chance of Disaster. 10% Chance of Something Special

Someone like Lambert comes in:

2% Chance of Disaster. 4% Chance of Something Special

Give me Option A.

I want OGS as much as the next guy, but what a ridiculous 'formula'.

Did you have a theory, or did you just pull those figures out of your arse?

LOL.

It's an opinion. The figures aren't exactly a mathematical equation which will hold much water, however they could be used for representation of a point of view. A view which I think is valid and makes sense.

Villalion, I am not being the "The Grinch" here, I am just trying to temper expectations! :-)

Things like this gain their own momentum sometimes and if I am honest, I would be intrigued to see what OGS could do at VP. I think it would be a massive challenge for him but he has his head screwed on tight.

Just do not get too carried away, not convinced this is a done deal!

So I think for much part the reaction is towards OGS specifically, rather than just the element of different. He has single handedly managed to make every other potential candidate seem second best.

He really hasn't, he has been elevated to that status by VT members! :-)

Although i feel i have been coaxed into the excitement of a young unproven manager by watching the video and seeing everyone else's excitement i am a little reserved too.

I can't let the fact that he is managing at perhaps league 1 level with some part timers as members of his playing squad. It is an awfully big step. Not saying it isn't possible for him to come in and work wonders but he also has an awful playing squad to deal with.

It is not going to be easy to offload some of the rubbish on our books even as free transfers as their wages are cost prohibitive for most sides.

So not only is he unproven but also has a mammoth task of stripping the squad and trying to buy layers that fit with his idea of how he wants to play.

I can't remember the last time League 1 produced teams which regularly got into the group stages of the Champions League.

Someone like OGS comes in (although there is nobody quite like OGS):

5% Chance of Disaster. 10% Chance of Something Special

Someone like Lambert comes in:

2% Chance of Disaster. 4% Chance of Something Special

Give me Option A.

I want OGS as much as the next guy, but what a ridiculous 'formula'.

Did you have a theory, or did you just pull those figures out of your arse?

I've got a highly scientific method of reaching these figures, which are extremely accurate to 3 decimal points. WTF do you think?

The point is that, given the choice of an increased risk, combined with increased chance of seeing something special happening, I'd take it, and so would most of us, I think.

Houllier, tons of experience

McLeish, tons of experience

DOL, tons of experience

McCarthy, tons of experience

Etc etc etc etc. I know they are very specific examples and there are plenty with experience who have been successful and pleanty without who haven't. But I do doubt the importance of having loads of experience at the top level. Look at Mourinho, Guardiola, AVB etc. It seem that you're either cut out for management or you're not. And it seems OGS is.

If it all goes pea-shaped then at least we tried something adventurous. My biggest fear is that he wont be given time by the fans. If we were around 15th by December (which is almost a certainty without investment) people will be calling for his head and the Ole Out banners will be up. I think if we're serious about this it has to be viewed as a project

Villalion, I am not being the "The Grinch" here, I am just trying to temper expectations! :-)

Things like this gain their own momentum sometimes and if I am honest, I would be intrigued to see what OGS could do at VP. I think it would be a massive challenge for him but he has his head screwed on tight.

Just do not get too carried away, not convinced this is a done deal!

Not at all mate. I understand where you are coming from, and it is a very sensible place which I do agree with.

However we're all into this football lark for the emotional rollercoaster of it all and this is just one bend of that never ending rollercoaster...

:D

Another cracking post and the last point is on the money (excuse the pun). Another manager with more about him may just be asking for transfer funds that someone who is more keen just to be managing at this level would not demand

Here's a funny thing. People are now placing the fact that the manager should have some Premier League experience - Lambert,Martinez. Last year it was Randy's criteria of PL experience is narrow minded etc. How many wanted Lambert last year or the year before? How many wanted Adkins - he's not got experience at the top level. But many wanted him.

Now we have OGS - managing "a team equivalent to Championship/league 1" with part-time players not deemed good enough for Villa (Eikrem).

Yorke came from a "tin-pot" league - but turned out fair!

How many times have we moaned we should be looking at the unknown rather than playing "safe"?

People argued that Lambert won the CL with Dortmund - played at the highest level - etc - well so has OGS.

Wouldn't it be great to for once hear Villa being mentioned and being hated again rather than being a laughing stock because we have a young vibrant manager who may well be a success. He may fail but so would Lambert and anyone else. It is not an exact science - but taking the risk just might pay off!

This is gonna be a rollercoaster and I'm looking forward to it!

Another cracking post and the last point is on the money (excuse the pun). Another manager with more about him may just be asking for transfer funds that someone who is more keen just to be managing at this level would not demand

Can't disagree with that at all Richard.

However, Randy might view it as £100m spent does not guarantee CL football as he has already found out from his own experience, and as Liverpool have found out this season.

Perhaps Randy is thinking of attacking the CL problem from another angle. A manager who hopefully could bring with him lots of young exciting Scandinavian prospects, who have an excellent history of doing well in England, and mix it with a couple of biggish (£10m hopefully) signings.

Good post.

Obviously it's absolutely right to raise the question of whether he will be able to take the step up. The thing is that as a club we pretty much have a choice between people who would do "Okay" and people who might just be the next big thing. OGS seems very much like he might be the next big thing. He would also bring huge Feelgood Factor to the club. We have lacked this for so long, and it would help him to find his feet here.

As many have pointed out, experience in the PL proved somewhat overrated in the case of our last manager.

I have seen recently many an employer stipulate that for the job they are recruiting for they don't want someone who has been there and done that but someone who isn't the complete article as they have more drive snd passion that comes as standard for someone trying to prove themselves.

Isn't the art of great management more about galvanising the players rather than having heaps of experience

See RDM

Guess it helps if you have a talented squad of players too

I had a day out yesterday, and this thread jumped by over 50 pages.

Looking through few points.

I think that Mr Lerner's covert (not overt, CI) operation would have gone off completely without incident, had I not reported things on here. That isn't a declaration of pride, quite the opposite today, as I have given discomfort to Mr.Lerner, OGS, and a number of people in Norway, something of which I am not proud, and do not intend to repeat.

I misread two things.

Firstly, the feeling that the fact that the man was being collected was more than just for a chat.

Secondly, that this would not be 'Big in Norway'. On a week where our sports media were overindulging big time on the impending '6th place in the league final' and the managerial search of one of English football's red aristocracy, Villa stories were very low grade. I was foolish to not think about the consequences elsewhere.

Thursday was great. We had the fun of watching betting markets move, and we had the first really positive thread on VT for a long time, the AM departure notwithstanding.

As someone who felt that there was a strong possibility of Lambert being hired, with the prospect of more of the same, I was /am excited and seduced by the thought of OGS as our manager

As the frenzy built up through Friday, things began to get messy, to the point that perhaps an OGS appointment may have been jeopardised.

To those of you who may stand to lose money, I told you that he was coming, and he came. If you end up winning some, don't thank me, just make a donation towards the running of the site (repeating myself, in case anyone missed it last time). If you lose all your money, that was your choice.

I had another candidate for you Thursday, which I dismissed on a number of points, and therefore did not offer up on here. It was based upon the arrival for the day of a private jet that is owned by someone closely associated with a highly experienced and well known manager. That person does not show up anywhere on the bookies, but does actually meet one important element of VT criteria, the letter with which his name ends :winkold: .I concluded that the visiting aircraft was nothing to do with the Villa as said person is extremely busy at the moment, but then he may have been over for an 'informal chat'

:winkold:

All jokes aside, I will no longer be reporting unusual movements of Mr Lerner's private jet. I will restrict myself to using my knowledge to stand up for the owner on here when the 'no longer interested' criticism is levelled at him.

I gave you running commentary during the takeover, Carew, Houllier and now OGS. I am retiring :)

I hope whoever is appointed OGS or Lambert or whoever (youngish) is given time, years of time.

Relegated in the first season he should still be supported by us, it will take time for them to stamp their authority years not months.

Villa fans have been part of the problem for far too long, even now people are getting their little digs in and drawing their lines in the sand.

Even if your not impressed support whoever it is for **** sake!

I can't remember the last time League 1 produced teams which regularly got into the group stages of the Champions League.

Not sure that that is a valid point beating in mind all countries get a qualifying spot. There are some really poor league competitions in various countries that also get spots.

Trees, I don't think you should beat yourself up too much

The plane was spotted and reported by others in Norway so it's not like it was just you reporting Lerners movements