Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

44 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

He probably is a better player tbfh roflroflroflroflroflrofl.

You missed the point. As an analyst, Gary Neville is the best. As a manager, his team just lost 7-0. His analyst expertise did not work in practice. The point is that it is easy to be an armchair player.

1 hour ago, momo said:

It is one thing being critical in an informed way, and critical like thinking you are better than a player or a manager. Ask Gary Neville.

So one cannot criticise Cameron/Corbyn because one has not been an MP.

That does not make sense, Momo, if you were correct, VT would be devoid of (insert random number) % of it's posts.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

So one cannot criticise Cameron/Corbyn because one has not been an MP.

That does not make sense, Momo, if you were correct, VT would be devoid of (insert random number) % of it's posts.

I agree that people should criticize/compliment, but I disagree when it is over the top and unjust. Gabby has been a good servant of the club. His stats have declined over the past seasons for various reasons, but as a striker/winger he actually has a decent all time goal scoring record, especially when we take into account that he has been playing in midfield for most of his time the last few years (aka the years of stats decline).

Edited by momo
  • Like 1

Have to say the guy looks to be out of shape and short of fitness but if Gestede and/or Kozak are out, then surely we have no option but to play him do we?   I did think he started the West Ham game ok but then the game changed as we saw.

2 hours ago, momo said:

Hypothetically.

But that's just it - nobody ever said, either hypothetically or otherwise, that they were better than Gabby. You can keep saying it happened as often as you want, but you will continue to be wrong.

8 minutes ago, Villanun said:

But that's just it - nobody ever said, either hypothetically or otherwise, that they were better than Gabby. You can keep saying it happened as often as you want, but you will continue to be wrong.

Hypothetically you/they were wrong.;)

Edited by momo

3 hours ago, Villanun said:

Or to put it another way, 73 goals in 316 appearances for Gabby, 147 goals for Frank Lampard in 429 appearances for Chelsea. And Lampard is a midfielder. Is Gabby's goal return good enough?

Just for accuracy, Gabby has 84 in 365.

He's got a similar record to Dicky York who has 86 in 390 or more recently, but not quite as closely to Brian Little who has 82 in 302.

Johnny Dixon has 144 in 430 and is probably the most similar in terms of stats to Lampard.

And just on the 'not in the top ten' thing from earlier in the thread, the most recent player in our top ten all time goalscorer scored his last goal for the club 54 years ago. There are three players in the last fifty years who've scored more goals for Villa than Gabby; Peter Withe, Dwight Yorke and Tony Hateley.

For completeness, Gabby is 21st on our all time goalscorer list* and 17th on our all time appearances list.

*Incidentally, that all time goalscorer list is on this site, in the Hall of Fame and it's a thing of wonder.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

He's got a similar record to Dicky York who has 86 in 390 or more recently, but not quite as closely to Brian Little who has 82 in 302.

Johnny Dixon has 144 in 430 and is probably the most similar in terms of stats to Lampard.

And just on the 'not in the top ten' thing from earlier in the thread, the most recent player in our top ten all time goalscorer scored his last goal for the club 54 years ago. There are three players in the last fifty years who've scored more goals for Villa than Gabby; Peter Withe, Dwight Yorke and Tony Hateley.

For completeness, Gabby is 21st on our all time goalscorer list* and 17th on our all time appearances list.

*Incidentally, that all time goalscorer list is on this site, in the Hall of Fame and it's a thing of wonder.

Oh so you expect that extra 11 makes everything ok then? Five seasons of dross means nothing then clearly. I have rarely come across a player afforded so much grace for so little in return IMO. It baffles me it really does.

4 hours ago, momo said:

I agree that people should criticize/compliment, but I disagree when it is over the top and unjust. Gabby has been a good servant of the club. His stats have declined over the past seasons for various reasons, but as a striker/winger he actually has a decent all time goal scoring record, especially when we take into account that he has been playing in midfield for most of his time the last few years (aka the years of stats decline).

Really please? Your not being serious are you?  You'll be calling him  a centre half next to boost up his record.

4 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Oh so you expect that extra 11 makes everything ok then? Five seasons of dross means nothing then clearly. I have rarely come across a player afforded so much grace for so little in return IMO. It baffles me it really does.

I didn't give an opinion. I just put the numbers up. I didn't say anything was or wasn't okay. The bafflement hasn't come from my post Dave. 

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I didn't give an opinion. I just put the numbers up. I didn't say anything was or wasn't okay. The bafflement hasn't come from my post Dave. 

Fair enough OBE point taken, however taking into account the extra 11 goals which I assume are cup goals ? Do you honestly think this equates to an acceptable goal return for the amount of games played?

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

He has played well over 50% of his games out wide. He has also played for 2 and half seasons under managers playing some of the most defensive negative football the prem league has ever seen (a season under McLeish and the last 18 months of Lamberts time). I think his return is ok. No more no less.

It appears that his time here may well be coming to an end but as I have said previously overall I will look back and remember him for the good moments and a number of those 80 odd goals he scored will have provided some very good moments and been winning goals in big derby games, games against top clubs or crucial goals to help keep us up, finish in the top 6 or progress in cups.

• Like 3

You do wonder just how bad this guy has to be before the blinkers come off some peoples eyes. He's been shit for YEARS. Nobody else wants him, there's a reason for that. An absolute waste of space Overrated, overpaid and now overweight. Hopefully the club can find some way to shift him out at the end of the season.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Really please? Your not being serious are you?  You'll be calling him  a centre half next to boost up his record.

Well, playing out wide is midfield. You know. Winger. Tracking back. Running up and down. Not playing on top. Not a striker. As close to the opposition goal as to his own goal. Midfield.

I took the liberty of quoting another poster and putting his first sentence in bold.

29 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

He has played well over 50% of his games out wide. He has also played for 2 and half seasons under managers playing some of the most defensive negative football the prem league has ever seen (a season under McLeish and the last 18 months of Lamberts time). I think his return is ok. No more no less.

It appears that his time here may well be coming to an end but as I have said previously overall I will look back and remember him for the good moments and a number of those 80 odd goals he scored will have provided some very good moments and been winning goals in big derby games, games against top clubs or crucial goals to help keep us up, finish in the top 6 or progress in cups.

I believe Rushain Murphy is injured so that's why he's not been making the bench.

Andre Green was on the bench Tuesday so he appears the youngster most in line to get some minutes over the next few weeks although Jerrel Sellars also mentioned.

Personally for Saturday it has to be Gabby by default really. The thought of Sinclair not just playing but actually having to do stuff like "hold the ball up" and "bring others into play" makes me chuckle, at least Gabby for all his faults can do that.

He did it fine for 60 minutes for Leicester away. I do agree with a poster who said we should resort back to that as it was one of our best attacking performances of the season. Just don't see Grealish starting as seems Remi had another go at him after the Wycombe game so don't see him getting a start anytime soon.

12 hours ago, Villanun said:

So what? The OP never claimed to be a better footballer than Gabby. The point he was making is that given the number of appearances Gabby has made we might reasonably expect his goal tally to be higher.

He has been forced to play on the wing that has effected his tally.....

I'll remember him for his 8 touches in a game.

he is an epitome of what we as a team have become.

Edited by TRO

Â