Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

I've got to be honest I find the whole thing quite embarrassing. The abuse he gets off Villa 'fans' on Instagram is unbelievable. Unsettling players with these kind of attacks does not help in any way and I don't see what they are trying to achieve. Everyone (me included) is quick to jump on the Delph loyalty campaign yet we have a player here who genuinely loves the football club and is victim to constant abuse. From an outsider looking in, it would look pathetic. This is a player who has won us games against our closest rivals! For that alone he should be given some respect. Not just Blues but WBA last season when we were on the brink of relegation and he dug in to get us a result. Of course there are better strikers but there are certainly a lot worse! And yes, I was the first moaning at half time at Palace. Leave it the concourse though and get behind the team.  I do think he still has a lot to offer and I will be getting behind him in hope of seeing the finger on the lips celebration over the next coming months.  

• Like 3

the wishes coming true i thought was a bit of a " well its me playing for the club i support " but at same time admitting hes well under performed and needs to do better with his comment bout fans being right.i personaly dont see him leaving we'll probably see him putting more effort in and trying his hardest to effect games if thats the case and he is gonna get game time hopefuly he can do something to get the fans on his side

Edited by Villan81
  • Like 1

I've got to be honest I find the whole thing quite embarrassing. The abuse he gets off Villa 'fans' on Instagram is unbelievable. Unsettling players with these kind of attacks does not help in any way and I don't see what they are trying to achieve. Everyone (me included) is quick to jump on the Delph loyalty campaign yet we have a player here who genuinely loves the football club and is victim to constant abuse. From an outsider looking in, it would look pathetic. This is a player who has won us games against our closest rivals! For that alone he should be given some respect. Not just Blues but WBA last season when we were on the brink of relegation and he dug in to get us a result. Of course there are better strikers but there are certainly a lot worse! And yes, I was the first moaning at half time at Palace. Leave it the concourse though and get behind the team.  I do think he still has a lot to offer and I will be getting behind him in hope of seeing the finger on the lips celebration over the next coming months.  

Yeah, he'll have to score goals to do that, and I doubt he'll be scoring many.

I'm actually thinking of putting him in my fantasy team this weekend and making him captain against Sunderland.

If he's ever going to have one of those games for us again, this will be the one

I've got to be honest I find the whole thing quite embarrassing. The abuse he gets off Villa 'fans' on Instagram is unbelievable. Unsettling players with these kind of attacks does not help in any way and I don't see what they are trying to achieve. Everyone (me included) is quick to jump on the Delph loyalty campaign yet we have a player here who genuinely loves the football club and is victim to constant abuse. From an outsider looking in, it would look pathetic. This is a player who has won us games against our closest rivals! For that alone he should be given some respect. Not just Blues but WBA last season when we were on the brink of relegation and he dug in to get us a result. Of course there are better strikers but there are certainly a lot worse! And yes, I was the first moaning at half time at Palace. Leave it the concourse though and get behind the team. I do think he still has a lot to offer and I will be getting behind him in hope of seeing the finger on the lips celebration over the next coming months.

Yeah, he'll have to score goals to do that, and I doubt he'll be scoring many.
And there are still people trying to defend him. And the finger to the lips scenario. Ever heard the expression " bite the hand that feeds"

Good riddance :wave:

He's part of the old guard, corrupted to the core by the utter ineptitude of recent yrs. The club would be a far better place w/o him, and the newer lads might actually get a chance to grow and define this new team in their image.

I'm sorry to single you out, but I think this is an awful post.

It's opinions like this that make me think that that rather than Gabby, the club would be better off without fans like you!

When a new manager comes in, as a matter of principle I would not have a too much objection to a general clear out of the old guard. Of course one must be careful not to go kamikaze and chop heads for the sake of it.

In this specific case, we have a player who is very closely related to the attitude and entitled complacency that has griped villa since the final days of when MON was in charge. He has consistently been rubbish for at least the past couple of seasons and has started off this season looking like he simply couldn't be bothered (and that he's rapidly dropping in ability). Nothing pisses me off more with regards to football than a player who won't put a shift in. Gabby strolls around the pitch with "I'm brilliant me" attitude week in, week out. In addition to all of this, he is one of the highest earners at the club.

You are perfectly free to attack me for having this opinion, which I think is pretty reasoned and justified as internet opinions go. I must ask what you are interested in happening to the club though, as I am doubtful as to whether emotional reflexive defense is what is needed to improve on the depressing rubbish from recent years.

Sentimentality will only hold Villa back. Gabby out (at least from the first team)!  

Edited by villakram
  • Like 1

Because some of us think Agbonlahor is no longer good enough, there is no reason to label us `haters'. He has not been good enough for some considerable time, and I personally would much rather have Sinclair or Ayew in there instead of him. I do not expect loyalty from players, nor do I think the club should be extending any loyalty to the players. They are well paid to carry out their profession, and the club should feel free to move any player on, no matter who, when that player is not performing to the required standard. Our club is more important than any player.

• Like 3

He's been a loyal servant to Villa over the years and nobody can take that away from him but based on his form of the last few seasons (playing out of position, or not) he's just not good enough. If an offer came in that suited him and his family to go and start a fresh challenge then I genuinely think it would be in everybody's interest now.

• Like 1

Let's not beat about the bush here.  We know he's crap, other clubs and fans know he's crap and he knows deep down he is no longer Premier quality.  He's had his day and the FACT that no one has ever enquired about buying him say's it all.  Just remember when we sold all our players like Young, Milner and even Downing nobody raised an eyebrow about Gabby!!  About time to get rid to Doncaster et al.

I think there's a difference moaning about his performance on a forum like this and fans targeting him on his personal Instagram account. I think that is the difference, people being criticial of his performance on here I think it is completely fair game. Calling for his head and commenting on his Instagram telling him he's shit and should leave the club, those people are pathetic.

This exactly! Football is very subjective and everyone has varying opinions. I love hearing/reading opinions on here and after the game. I just despair when our own fans are contacting him directly giving him abuse. In what world do they think that will help the cause. I don't get the hatred towards the bloke. Delph, Alpay etc. I can understand animosity. I find Gabby so frustrating because for me when he is at his best the bloke is a nightmare for defenders but he doesn't do it enough which has been a problem throughout his career. But surely he has earned enough respect to not be abused by his own fans on Instagram regularly. Not a big ask really. 

He's really not "crap". 

He suffered more than anyone under Paul Lambert. He's had a lot of injuries over the past few years. When Sherwood came in and stuck him up front he performed, before suffering another injury. He has since not performed and should be dropped. However, as ever, there is a tendency amongst football fans for black and white thinking. You are either crap or brilliant and there is nothing in between, towards the end of either scale. 

Frankly I don't think he is good enough to start regularly, this will be why he is club captain and not actual captain. But the level of dislike for him is utterly laughable. 

It is not a FACT that nobody has ever inquired about him. If you think that is likely then I won't waste my breath arguing the point. What hasn't happened at any point is Gabby's agent leaking such a story, because the lad has never even contemplated leaving. Not being as good as Young, Milner or even Downing does not make a player crap. Mentioning Gabby and Doncaster in the same sentence is absurd. 

• Like 4

Its a hard thread to be objective in this one. I remember the teenage Gabby, breaking in to the first team. I remember thinking please, if we ever have our own Steve Bull or LeTissier 1 club type, please let it be this kid. On the other hand we've all sat through many turgid performances from him. But then again he's the all time leading Premier League goalscorer for us. But then whatever arguments we come up with on stats, how much pace he has, movement, passion or anything else, we all know in our hearts that he's not really that good at the football bit.

Savo is remembered quite fondly on here by quite a few (which has always surprised me tbh) and I always wonder, if we took away THAT goal in the League Cup final against Leeds, would anyone hold the same affection for a player I always felt was more times than not, disappointing.

Quite why we havent spent the last 10 years getting him to cross the ball in training everyday I don't know, but without the Villa blinkers on my friends think of Gabby as a fine athlete with poor technique. Maybe he just needs a cup final pearler. I hate seeing him be utterly useless on the pitch but then something about picturing him in another club's shirt seems very, very wrong.

Edited by VILLAMARV
  • Like 1

Â