All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

The above documentary Horizon "The Secret You", covered the subject of free will. This was covered in this thread ages ago which is pertinent to both atheists and religionists.  Video clips were removed from youtube, so I found a full length version on vimeo.  Watch from 48:27.  Listen very carefully to the explanation given after the experiment and particularly from 53:22.

• Like 2

Pretty sure I have posted that vid myself in the past . 

We are biological robots at the end of the day . There isn't a "you" that controls your brain .The "you" is a byproduct of the brain..

Edited by Brumerican
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

It has been a tradition in the Catholic Church to bless chalk at the Masses for Epiphany and then use the blessed chalk as part of blessing one’s home in the New Year.

The home blessing can be done as follows:
Use the blessed chalk to write:

20 + C + M + B + 16

above the doorways:  2016 for the year;
C, M, B for the 3 Magi – Casper, Melchior and Balthasar – and
for Christus Mansionem Benedicat, Latin for “May Christ Bless this House”

As you are writing, pray the following prayer:

Lord our God, bless this household.
May we be blessed with health, goodness of
heart, gentleness and the keeping of your law.
We give thanks to you, Father, Son and Holy Spirit,
now and for ever.
Amen.

Barmy. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

C, M, B for the 3 Magi – Casper, Melchior and Balthasar – and

The Bible doesn't give their names. It doesn't even say there are three of them.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, limpid said:

The Bible doesn't give their names. It doesn't even say there are three of them.

Do you think this means that the prayer may not work?   :)

• Like 2

Just now, mjmooney said:

Do you think this means that the prayer may not work?   :)

What you describe sounds more like a magic spell and we know what Catholics think about witches....

2 hours ago, limpid said:

What you describe sounds more like a magic spell and we know what Catholics think about witches....

Exactly what occurred to me. I love the way Christians sneer at 'superstition', and then come out with stuff like that. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Israeli rabbis have approved the practice of polygamy to counter what they believe is a demographic threat posed by Arab populations living in Israel and the occupied Palestinian territories.

An expose by Channel 10, an Israeli broadcasting channel, revealed the practice was approved by the rabbinate that has actively encouraged and facilitated polygamy, claiming the practice will give Jews an edge in the demographic race against Arabs in Israel.

One rabbi who has been married for 26 years is filmed by an undercover reporter persuading a single woman to become his second wife.

“If your parents ask you why you don’t marry like everyone else,” he told her, “tell them that it is a mitzvah [religious commandment] and I want to do a mitzvah.”

The rabbi showed the reporter a letter signed by Jerusalem’s Chief Rabbi Shlomo Amar permitting him to marry a second wife.

Middle East Monitor

"I want to do a Mitzvah" - :rolleyes: I bet you do Mate.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The Catholic church is ‘shocked’ at the hundreds of children buried at Tuam.

It has been confirmed that significant numbers of children’s remains lie in a mass grave adjacent to a former home for unmarried mothers run by the Bon Secours Sisters in Tuam, County Galway. This is exactly where local historian Catherine Corless, who was instrumental in bringing the mass grave to light, said they would be. A state-established commission of inquiry into mother and baby homes recently located the site in a structure that “appears to be related to the treatment/containment of sewage and/or waste water”, but which we are not supposed to call a septic tank.

Grauniad

Dark

It's so easy to mock the Islamic lads, but mexican Jesus have we become complacent with regards to what goes on in our own societies due to those who "believe". 

A small version of one of these near where I grew up. The country was a cruel cruel place in the past. But these places are all over, single pregnant woman in the young Irish state and you were in a world of trouble... fooked up.

• 2 weeks later...

Been watching a programme on the life of Muhammad. Going by what I've seen and heard on this programme there are so many Muslims who have completely got it wrong in how they follow their religion. The first ever Islamic state created by Muhammad himself was a peaceful place tolerant and understanding of other religions. Either way it's all ear say and bullshit if you like but it's an interesting watch.

Â