Aston Villa players in Birmingham nightclub brawl

ryanvilla_1994

Let me ask, if you was out with your mates on a Friday night and got pissed and ended having a bit of handbags, would you expect disciplinery actions when you got to work on Monday morning?

True dat.

One night of having too much to drink and having a row with someone constitutes them having a drink problem?

woudlnt say they have a drink problem well maybe Collins but really shouldnt be out week before a huge game. If we were safe or this was in Sept/Oct be no major deal for fans e.g Carew in teh Rocket Club issue

One night on the piss and they all of a sudden have a drink problem!!!
If they drink so much that they end up in nightclub fights, then yes, I'd say they DO have a drink problem.

One night of having too much to drink and having a row with someone constitutes them having a drink problem? :?

Yes, I think it does. You can have drink problems without being an alcoholic.

The general usage of the term 'social drinking' seems to have changed - many young people nowadays seem to consider that it includes getting wasted and behaving like an arsehole. I'd say that anyone who thinks that needs to take a long hard look at themselves. Anyone who thinks that AND is supposedly a professional sportsman needs to look twice as hard.

And no, I am not teetotal.

In fairness, 99% Bouncers are assholes, it's a very real possibility that these players were unnecessarily provoked in a manner that would result in them behaving in this way. Everyone is human and if the right buttons are pressed, then we've all got it in us to behave a bit stupidly.

Let me ask, if you was out with your mates on a Friday night and got pissed and ended having a bit of handbags, would you expect disciplinery actions when you got to work on Monday morning?

If there were clear conditions in my contract about drinking and general behaviour during the playing season, yes, I would expect disciplinary action.

The fact that they all appear to have lawyers or advisers on hand ready to concoct a public apology at the drop of a hat suggests they do, too.

Herd has let himself down, he has been excellent on the pitch this season, a model professional.

Collins has prior history of this sort of thing.

I actually forgot that Delph played for us...

If they drink so much that they end up in nightclub fights, then yes, I'd say they DO have a drink problem.

One night of having too much to drink and having a row with someone constitutes them having a drink problem? :?

The general usage of the term 'social drinking' seems to have changed - many young people nowadays seem to consider that it includes getting wasted and behaving like an arsehole. I'd say that anyone who thinks that needs to take a long hard look at themselves. Anyone who thinks that AND is supposedly a professional sportsman needs to look twice as hard.

I know that! :)

I agree that going and getting so pissed that you want to start scrapping is not good at all, but we dont know the reason behind it.

They wernt social drinking tho Mike, they were out on the piss for the end of season do.

In fairness, 99% Bouncers are assholes, it's a very real possibility that these players were unnecessarily provoked in a manner that would result in them behaving in this way. Everyone is human and if the right buttons are pressed, then we've all got it in us to behave a bit stupidly.
Agreed. But if you are a 'celebrity', you KNOW that the great unwashed are going to take pleasure in baiting you in public places. Which means extra self-control is required - and getting shitfaced is not going to help that cause one bit.

If there were clear conditions in my contract about drinking and general behaviour during the playing season, yes, I would expect disciplinary action.

The fact that they all appear to have lawyers or advisers on hand ready to concoct a public apology at the drop of a hat suggests they do, too.

But it was their end of season piss up! :? The club has allowed them to go out and let their hair down.

Also, we dont have press and every **** with a mobile phone watching us while we do what normal people do.

Agreed, it could be said that they are always representing Aston Villa football club due to them being such high profile plus they was not supposed to be there reading into the apologies.

BTW, I'm not saying that if I was their age and in their situation I would be strong enough to NOT behave that way. I probably wouldn't. But I'd still be out of order, and I'd still be an idiot with a drink problem.

...the likes of Collins I personally would rather see on the pitch and in the papers representing someone else.
Fair enough, but it's interesting that you highlighted Collins (when it appears he did little wrong in this instance), rather than the young, promising Herd. Is some of that based on footballing reasons rather than this relatively minor incident or one in the past? For example, amongst many others over the years, do you think McGrath should not have played for Villa?
I highlight Collins because he has previous nothing more or less and its nothing to do with footballing reasons. To my knowledge this is the first time Herd has been involved in such an incident, if it wasn't I would have a different view.

I knew it was only a matter of time until someone raised McGrath and I understand why you have but McGrath was a very different situation. Sure he let the club down on occasions when he went 'missing' and I never ever defended him when he did.

The difference with McGrath is he had a drink problem, he was an alcoholic who would from time to time lose control. He wasn't out fighting, drink driving or behaving in a way that brought shame on him or the club.

In my opinion there is a big difference between McGrath and the players involved in incidents like this. Again I don't expect everyone to agree but that is my view, its nothing to do with players abilities.

I didn't see any 'fighting' in the video clip and I don't know that any of the players were 'drink driving'.

I don't believe they shamed the club but they did shame themselves a little. I'll bet that if there was a video camera following every move of McGrath we'd see that he shamed himself several times. What we know for certain is that McGrath was unfit through drink in at least one game and in training several times. Surely that's worse than what Herd did? On that basis, it appears that your judgement is clouded by a players footballing ability.

You act like getting pissed and having a fight is a new concept in Britain?? Then blame our young people of the current generation?

I dont seem to remember the Vikings, Romans or any other people who have lived on these lands acting any differently

Handbags.

Stupid, yes, but nothing to write home about. They've been fined for their troubles, so as long as they beat Spurs on sunday we'll say no more about it.

You act like getting pissed and having a fight is a new concept in Britain?? Then blame our young people of the current generation?

I dont seem to remember the Vikings, Romans or any other people who have lived on these lands acting any differently

vikings.jpg

I didn't say that. And you are quite correct. The British - and specifically, the English - have had this reputation for centuries (Jeremy Paxman's book 'The English' is very good on this).

What I was talking about was what people mean by 'social drinking'. A few beers/wines with your friends at home, in a restaurant or in a pub is how I understand it. Out on the lash in nightclubs (with the likelihood of aggro, especially if you are some sort of 'face') is a different ball game.

When Dunne and Collins got into their bother last season it was just one more sign that they did not respect the manager / club.

Then we get Mcleish and one of the arguments in favour of him has been that at least the players respect him and support him, they feel much differetnly to him than they did Houllier.

Seems even that was bollocks too.

Â