Confirmed: Paul Lambert new Villa boss

VillaRoy

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we close this? Seems very very likely Lambert wasn't even considered as a potential Villa manager.

Agreed - but thats what concerns me about our club.

It seems single minded tough managers (Lambert, Mark Hughes)are given a wide berth by our club - as Faulkner wants a little poodle to push around.

That said I don't entirley discount OGS coming in for talks

I've just seen Martin Laursen's tweet quoted on the OGS speculation thread, saying he'd like to manage Villa one day.

Now have a reply to smug Man Utd fans: OGS may be biding his time with Villa, but Villa are biding their time with OGS until Laursen is ready. :)

Okay, I'm on board. Paul, sorry, you're now my second choice. Don't take it too hard.

Lambert could have jumped at the chance to manage us, he didnt, same as Martinez. Screw em.

I don't think he's been given the chance has he?

Lambert remains my first choice. I'm increasingly nervous about Solksjaer, I'm not sure he's right for the job at this point. Unless we give him a fair bit of money we'll be in and around the relegation spots again next year and he's not used to that.

OGS may be biding his time with Villa, but Villa are biding their time with OGS until Laursen is ready. :)

Okay, I'm on board. Paul, sorry, you're now my second choice. Don't take it too hard.

I like the sound of that, no problem with that scenario.

Lambert could have jumped at the chance to manage us, he didnt, same as Martinez. Screw em.

Lambert remains my first choice. I'm increasingly nervous about Solksjaer, I'm not sure he's right for the job at this point. Unless we give him a fair bit of money we'll be in and around the relegation spots again next year and he's not used to that.

100% where I am at Patrick. I worry that OGS is right for us at this time and fear he has been chosen based on other factors

I think the main attraction of a figure like Solskjaer, Rodgers and co is -as well as playing a more attractive and progressive style of football than the previous incumbent (not hard) they should also be well placed to spot talented young (or not previously well known) players on the way up. Before they start to command really mental fees.

Ergo a manager of that ilk could probably make £10-15 million stretch a long way. Whoever we select, after a season of narrowly avoiding the drop, I don't think we'll spend less than that. A Benitez (or even McPish) have a preference for the 'play it safe' option of players who have already made it. And the fees generally reflect that, as we've seen.

My thoughts exactly. Why would Holt put in a transfer request? Is Lambert off somewhere?

Or Holt's got greedy, stripped of the captaincy, or wants a final big pay day.

My thoughts exactly. Why would Holt put in a transfer request? Is Lambert off somewhere?

Most likely. I would also not be surprised to see Liverpool or Tottenham tapping him up already.

Let's hope we can sign OGS v.soon and you guys get to keep Lambert. As for Holt, if he's being greedy sack him off. Lambert will always find another decent player to replace him with.

Yeah i'm sure it's this mate.

FWIW I think Lambert is staying at Norwich, and fair play to him too if he does.

Holt is 31? Probably got his agent in his ear putting ideas on his head. Can see Sunderland being interested in him too.

There are plenty of managers who are 'used' to relegation battles and their tactics during the season usually mean that's where they end up.

I'm still slightly in the Lambert camp, although I have been won over by OGS. I'm still not sure our squad is ready for a more progressive game and Lambert would be the better option in the short to medium term, which isn't to say he plays dire football either.