Confirmed: Paul Lambert new Villa boss

VillaRoy

If we present a manager with a plan, decent resources and a top salary, all of which is quite within our means, why wouldn't they take it?

Problem is we don't have decent resources do we? And i'm not sure that we pay McLeish anywhere near what that atricle said we did a few months back.... i mean, how do they know what the top 20 managers in Europe get paid?

We need an up and coming manager, getting Capello in would just be a disaster... we need someone who can come in, with new ideas, change the way the club works from the inside out... someone like Martinez would be perferct.

Going on how CI has only judged Lambert over the past 2 months and stated he doesnt like him, he must think Matrinez is a world class manager after the past 2 months he's had.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also see the chances of landing one of the bigtime managers as quite unrealistic. They all have their own systems which the team have to adjust to, and all require big funding to get the trusted players of their choice. A younger manager will take what he has available and form that, maybe targeting certain players or types of player to enhance.

Seems more fitting in our current situation. Whichever way it goes, the person in concern will almost certainly need time, and will be against a backdrop of over ambitious fans.

I really can't understand the mentality of some Villa fans. Lambert is one of the best up and coming (and to some extent proven) managers in the country...why wouldn't we want him? Rijkaard and Benitez are pie-in-the-sky. We don't have the money to compete at the very top, so we have to get a good young manager and give him time. Lambert is a perfect fit for us.

the person in concern will almost certainly need time, and will be against a backdrop of over ambitious fans.

Sorry but I think this is completely wrong.

We are a relatively realistic bunch, people aren't against McLeish because he hasn't got us pushing for Europe they are against him because he is struggling to keep us in the league.

Most Villa fans knew we would struggle this season, most laughed at the General and his 4th woops I mean 5th post, they ridiculed Paul Faulkner for his talk of pushing for Europe.

At the start of the season most peoples expectations were for mid table and I don't think that was unrealistic, it isn't unrealistic to think McLeish should have been able to achieve that.

Sure Villa fans want the club to be aiming higher, think we are capable of aiming higher but we are also a realistic bunch and its not over ambitious fans that are the problem.

The problem is a clueless board and a **** useless manager.

Whoever takes over when McLeish leaves, whenever that is, I'm sure the majority of fans will be realistic about our ambitions and hopes of achieving them. The fans are desperate to get behind a manager again after McLeish and Houllier and unless Lerner makes another clueless appointment (which wouldn't surprise me) then whoever gets the job will probably get more backing from the fans instantly than almost any manager has with the exception of Brian Little and O'Neill.

Don't think fans are patient enough for the style of play Martinez would want to adopt. (Many were complaining about how we weren't winning enough under Houllier with the way we were playing). Lambert however would achieve instant results with the players here and his style of play.

Imagine we will be looking for Bosmans and the like over the coming years

Imagine the Bosmans a Scholari/Cappelo would attract compared to Paul Lambert or Brendan Rodgers

Please don't adopt a Norwich or Swansea mindset, let's think bigger

We certainly do have decent resources and we do pay McLeish that kind of money.

Resources include a turnover in and around the top 20 clubs in the world, state of the art facilities, a top academy and a large if disenchanted fanbase.

Villa is a top 8 club currently struggling. Managers know this. Potential managers know this.

A lot of work needs to be done to put right that which is wrong but we aren't all of a sudden a no-mark club.

A manager worth his salt, with faith in his abilities will see that he can make a real name for himself at Villa.

As far as investment is concerned, Ive heard there will be a fair amount available in the summer. I dont know how or where its coming from but the people I have heard this from a solid sources.

I remain skeptical but with an open mind. Its certainly possible. All I want is the the right man to spend it and get some value. No more MON myopic largesse and no more McLeish buying players who dont perform for him.

By the way, I'm not opposed to Martinez at all. He fits the criteria of a young manager who can build a dynasty but also we need some footballing nous on the board to oversee this and build a infrastructure worthy of a great club, which we surely are.

Is that what they believe on the planet you're from? If we had to depend on the aquisition of bosmans do you actually think the like of Scholari or Cappelo would even consider us as anything other than a joke and tell us where to go. You can think as big as you like, its having a touch of realism and not just spouting famous names, which anyone can do, that we need.

We had a manager who got us into europe and we finished 6th for 3 seasons in a row.But everyone has a go at him and apparently he is not liked.So what do we want ?

We had a manager that gave us a top 6 finish and we have a manager that is trying to give us a bottom 6 finish,but it seems that we are not satisfied with either.So I say again "what do we really want ? "

Before anyone goes on about how MON spent a lot of $$$ just remenber that the top 4-5 all spend large sums of $$$ to stay there.

Personally i can't see Lambert leaving Norwich so I think there is little truth in this. But I do like the principle of hiring a good young manager which is what we should have done when MON left.

Someone like that will see Villa as a step up and is almost certainly much more capable and willing to operate within constraints. Virtually all established PL managers will want assurances over transfer budgets, bigger salaries, etc which is probably why we ended with McLeish although I think he probably fails the test of 'established'.

What the club needs to realise is its all about the quality of the manager and not just having PL experience. After all none of Ferguson, Wenger et al had such experience when appointed.

Finally any such appointment should be backed up by a very clear statement from Lerner himself stating why we have appointed that manager and outlining his vision of the club. In an ideal world that would include assurances over transfer funds and policy, player development and wages.

No fan of Villa is expecting Champions League any time soon or probably Europe for that matter. All I think most of want to see, at least initially, is a competitive well organised side that wins a decent number of games at Villa Park and in an ideal world plays decent football. That is then a platform to build on.

We certainly do have decent resources and we do pay McLeish that kind of money.

Resources include a turnover in and around the top 20 clubs in the world, state of the art facilities, a top academy and a large if disenchanted fanbase.

Villa is a top 8 club currently struggling. Managers know this. Potential managers know this.

A lot of work needs to be done to put right that which is wrong but we aren't all of a sudden a no-mark club.

A manager worth his salt, with faith in his abilities will see that he can make a real name for himself at Villa.

As far as investment is concerned, Ive heard there will be a fair amount available in the summer. I dont know how or where its coming from but the people I have heard this from a solid sources.

I remain skeptical but with an open mind. Its certainly possible. All I want is the the right man to spend it and get some value. No more MON myopic largesse and no more McLeish buying players who dont perform for him.

By the way, I'm not opposed to Martinez at all. He fits the criteria of a young manager who can build a dynasty but also we need some footballing nous on the board to oversee this and build a infrastructure worthy of a great club, which we surely are.

Well for me it completely depends on how much we have to spend on players. I'm skeptical that there will be anything more then 10m to be honest. If you are right and there will be a significant amount of funds available then maybe we can attract a high profile manager. But I seriously doubt that, and if we're going to be looking at players out of contract I can't see anyone better then Lambert/Martinez taking the job (i'm not sure if Lambert would given those conditions)

Imagine the Bosmans a Scholari/Cappelo would attract compared to Paul Lambert or Brendan Rodgers

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I bet they're desperate to take on that job eh! Jesus christ....

I notice a few people have seen Lambert's Norwich have had a couple of big defeats to Liverpool and Man City and are now not sure about the manager, totally forgetting about the great results and performances his team have put in this year and the the brilliant work he has done over the past few years. Talk about reactionary. I'd love Lambert as our next manager!

I

Capello's first Bosman signing would be Heskey, he loves him.

Scholari was shocking in England and that was with big money to spend!

Also, if we are going to be working with just Bosman's for the next few years, than I can tell you now Capello/Scholari wouldn't join us!

Who is this Scholari fella? Would he start Clarke in central defence for us?

I woul dlove Lambert to join us, he would work wonders with the young lads whoa re doing a great job at the moment in a struggling team. I reckon he would bring Makoun back in too which I (unlike seemingly most people on this board) would like to see. I just put a fiver on him coming here, his lack of denial when asked about made me think there's more to this than rumour. I just worry that MON might have a word in his ear and dissuade him from coming to work with RL.

Lamberts best work has been done in the championship and league 1

He needs to do more at top level before he gets a big job IMHO

I'd like to see him successfully manage Norwich for another season

What the club needs to realise is its all about the quality of the manager and not just having PL experience. After all none of Ferguson, Wenger et al had such experience when appointed.

Both were established managers, both had won their respective leagues, both had played European football, Ferguson winning European silverware. Both had developed several noted top players.

But back to Lambert; he has shown himself adept at taking teams places. He’s shown himself to be ambitious as a player and manager, with silverware to back it up. Whether he becomes the greatest manager I doubt it, but I think he will have the desire and ambition to take Aston Villa forward. He’s not the only one, but I think if he came he would restore pride which Houllier and McLeish have stripped away so easily

Lamberts best work has been done in the championship and league 1

He needs to do more at top level before he gets a big job IMHO

I'd like to see him successfully manage Norwich for another season

Yet you would be happy to go for Capello with no PL experience or Scolari who failed in the PL?