Confirmed: Paul Lambert new Villa boss

VillaRoy

We have some fantastic talent coming through - Lichaj hardly put a foot wrong again today and yet how much credit is he getting for

his perfomances?

As well as changing the manager - we need to stop hyping our 'youth' players. Herd, Lichaj, Bannan are all around 23 - Lee Hendrie had played for england by that age - and he wasn't the greatest.

We don't have a set of starlets - just waiting for game time. The vast majority of those young players won't make it in the prem. The last 2 seasons have shown - when we throw the kids in - the results nose dive.

To keep hyping our youth players is IMO almost as destructive as keeping AM in charge next season.

There are a few that will make it my choices being:

Herd, Lichaj, Weimann, Gardner (Albrighton and Bannan are already established)

I think a new manager with some young players could really see Villa playing well. Lambert may be the man for the job.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We have some fantastic talent coming through - Lichaj hardly put a foot wrong again today and yet how much credit is he getting for

his perfomances?

As well as changing the manager - we need to stop hyping our 'youth' players. Herd, Lichaj, Bannan are all around 23 - Lee Hendrie had played for england by that age - and he wasn't the greatest.

We don't have a set of starlets - just waiting for game time. The vast majority of those young players won't make it in the prem. The last 2 seasons have shown - when we throw the kids in - the results nose dive.

To keep hyping our youth players is IMO almost as destructive as keeping AM in charge next season.

I think a new manager with some young players could really see Villa playing well. Lambert may be the man for the job.

Thats a troll surley ? - Albrighton and Bannan have had disastrous seasons

Gardner has shown very little at first team level.

Weiman and Herd look good grafters

Lichaj looks steady- nothing more

Come next august I would say only 1 of those players would be starting a prem match for us.

That's rubbish - hence why a very young reserve squad are taking on a Manchester United's reserves at Old Trafford for the North V South title.

It takes years to build up stamina to play in the PL for 90mins - ask any professional footballer. it's one reason we've faded badly in the second half in games this season - young players simply haven't got the stamina, unless they've come through very young and got used to it - like Rooney et al.

People didn't think Cahill or Craig Gardner were up to much when MON let them go. They've both gone on to improve.

How can you judge youngsters playing in a team with no confidence? I'll bet if we'd been riding high in the premiership we'd have seen a different

side to their game. However this season will have taught them all more than all the years they had in the academy winning plaudits and trophies. When you're down and out, you need to fight and you need to fight as a team! Can't enjoy the highs so much, unless you've experienced the lows.

his perfomances?

Thats a troll surley ? - Albrighton and Bannan have had disastrous seasons

Gardner has shown very little at first team level.

Weiman and Herd look good grafters

Lichaj looks steady- nothing more

Come next august I would say only 1 of those players would be starting a prem match for us.

Albrighton and Bannan have had decent seasons before hand - Albrighton had a blazing season a few seasons okay, which makes me think you can't really class him as one of the few 'coming through' at the moment. Gardner has the potential to develop and was quality in the reserves, along with Weimann. Herd has heaps of character and puts in a big challenge when it needs to happen (unlike many in our midfield) and Lichaj has stepped up to the plate and never seems to stop running. All will progress with time.

Players I don't really think will make it are the likes of Clark, Baker etc...

Do you have any realistic choices CI?

They are all realistic, stop dumbing the club down with your inferior selections

We are believe it or not still a big club

No we are not

Oh yes we are.

Last January we spent £24 million on a striker. In the summer we spent £9.5 million on a winger. 42,000 seater stadium. By comparison to most of the clubs in the league we are a big club. Maybe not capable of attracting those managers that CI is on about, but we are probably a good prospect for a manager who has been out of the picture for a while who takes a look at the players in our squad and figures they can't do any worse than the guy currently in charge. I think someone like FSW would be interested.

Whether it's now known in the world of football that Randy Lerner is a nightmare to work for is another matter.

Regardless, Villa are definitely a relatively 'big club'.

With a **** horrific manager

his perfomances?

Bannan is only really established as a sub though tbh although I'd like to see him given more game time he just looks too lightweight, Albrighton looks to be average IMO, I hope I'm wrong but I honestly don't think he'll cut it consistently at the top level.

Another inept Norwich dispaly, thats almost 3 months of Shite from Lambert

Please Lord keep him away from my club

Lambert said weeks ago that he thought they were safe so he was going to try new systems, different players and different tactics to guide his thinking in the summer, so I'm not surprised they've dropped a bit.

Haha, an easy cop out line then, it's poor management IMHO, their luck and adrenalin has run its course. Lambert will be good for clubs like Norwich, WBA, Derby Coubty, mid sized clubs. I don't see enough tactical nous from him at all, even at the start of this season Norwich were seen as a maverick attacking team who would score goals but couldn't defend

Not my choice

As per manager I really think we need to raise the bar / profile and give the whole club and city a lift

Scholari, Cappelo , Rijkaard, Koemann, Klinsmann possibly Van Basten or Bilic

CI, the Managers you have listed are simply unrealistic in our current financial/football plight,If you feel that Lambert is not the right man then fair enough but at least come up with sensible alternatives not pie in the sky suggestions.

Why are they unrealistic? On what basis? They are all either unemployed or managing smaller clubs in smaller leagues

AVFC are a big club and the PL is the biggest, highest profile league in the world

Anyone would think the only available managers are lambert Rodgers or Martinez

Lambert said weeks ago that he thought they were safe so he was going to try new systems, different players and different tactics to guide his thinking in the summer, so I'm not surprised they've dropped a bit.

Haha, an easy cop out line then, it's poor management IMHO, their luck and adrenalin has run its course. Lambert will be good for clubs like Norwich, WBA, Derby Coubty, mid sized clubs. I don't see enough tactical nous from him at all, even at the start of this season Norwich were seen as a maverick attacking team who would score goals but couldn't defend

Not my choice

You've made your mind up and that's fine but he said it when they were flying and I remember thinking what a sensible idea for a club in their position. In the same way that if we'd had 40 points a couple of months back but no realistic European aspirations I would have welcomed McLeish trying out kids like Gary Gardner more with the pressure off.

Being brutally honest I haven't seen much of Norwich before or after he said it so I have no idea if they've changed style, been using different players or whatever, all I remember is that he said it and I was envious of them being in a position to say it.

Have to say im with CI on this one, I just don't see what makes Lambert so special that we should go for him.

He's done a great job at Norwich no doubt, and i'd gladly have him over our current manager (Public Enemy #1) whose name i shall not utter, but i was hoping we'd aim a bit higher than this.

Do people wan't him because he's really that good period, or are they settling on him because they think he's the best we can attract in our current state?

Public-Enemy-Dont-Believe-The-Hype-Vinyl.jpg

Have to say im with CI on this one, I just don't see what makes Lambert so special that we should go for him.

He's done a great job at Norwich no doubt, and i'd gladly have him over our current manager (Public Enemy #1) whose name i shall not utter, but i was hoping we'd aim a bit higher than this.

Do people wan't him because he's really that good period, or are they settling on him because they think he's the best we can attract in our current state?

Public-Enemy-Dont-Believe-The-Hype-Vinyl.jpg

No doubt someone else has probably mentioned it already, but back to back promotions from league 1 and then a very steady 1st season in the Prem, never in danger, is a phenomenal achievement. All with alot of the same players he inherited when he took over aswell.

It's all very well suggesting Rijkaard or Scolari etc, but it just won't happen. Lambert has to be the top of the 'gettable' options out there.

If we are going to get anywhere we need to find a manager with a little bit extra because its clear we aren't financially able to compete with the top clubs.

Lambert has taken a smaller club in a mess and turned it around superbly. He is clearly ready for a step up and I think he could get us punching above our level as well.

Now CI has named some good managers as well but I like the idea of a young up and coming manager with something to prove who is familiar with the league and lambert ticks the boxes.

I often think CI talks out of his mudwhistle but he's right in this instance. We are and always will be a big club.

The only real thing limiting us in our plans is ambition. If we think small time we will get and be imited to; small time.

If we present a manager with a plan, decent resources and a top salary, all of which is quite within our means, why wouldn't they take it?

Personally and for continuity's sake I'd choose a young talented manager we can build a legacy around for years to come. Somebody like Rodgers, Lambert, AVB...whoever.

Not my choice

You've made your mind up and that's fine but he said it when they were flying and I remember thinking what a sensible idea for a club in their position. In the same way that if we'd had 40 points a couple of months back but no realistic European aspirations I would have welcomed McLeish trying out kids like Gary Gardner more with the pressure off.

Being brutally honest I haven't seen much of Norwich before or after he said it so I have no idea if they've changed style, been using different players or whatever, all I remember is that he said it and I was envious of them being in a position to say it.

Well Grant Holt has been their best play by a country mile all season and Lambert didnt bring him on til 75-80mins...

It's not poor management, he was just experimenting with other players... which is fair enough.

We are a big Club but atm working under financial constraints,Glasgow Rangers are a big club but look at them now,I agree a young ambitious up n coming Manager is what we need not a big spending high salary Manager which we simply cannot afford otherwise go for Jose or Pep!