Stan Petrov

LondonLax

• 3 weeks later...

Thought this was hilarious:

1. Get in! Great result and great response after going down 1-0! #utv

2. @bguzan cinema with the kids man. More important. It was only Norwich man

• Like 1

Stiliyan Petrov to play in charity match in Sutton Coldfield this weekend

Stiliyan Petrov will pull on his boots for a charity match in Sutton Coldfield this weekend to raise money and awareness of his new foundation . 

The popular Bulgarian will play in the game, along with a host of former Villa favourites, at Boldmere St Michaels’ Church Lane ground on Sunday afternoon. 

The match kicks off at 2pm with doors opening an hour earlier. Admission is £4 adults and £1 kids. 

Petrov will make a rare return to the football pitch in a team including Paul Merson, Alan Wright and Julian Joachim, as well as fans who have donated money to charity to take part.

They will be up against a Lions and Legends side featuring former favourites including Gordon Cowans, Ken McNaught, Tony Morley and possibly Lee Hendrie. Organiser Stephen Rigby has already sold 600 advance tickets for the match and is expecting a crowd of more than 1,000 with spectators travelling from across the country to lend their support. 

Rigby said he was thrilled when Petrov agreed to play. 

“This is the first time he has done anything like this with supporters,” he said. “He was up for it from day one. 

“All the ex-pros have been great. I have got to know some of them as I have been arranging the game.” 

Petrov announced his retirement from playing professionall y last May after a gruelling battle against acute leukaemia following his diagnosis in March 2012.  

The 34-year-old former captain had a brief spell coaching Villa’s academy kids, but has taken a break from football to set up The Stiliyan Petrov foundation to help others diagnosed with the disease. 

The game is believed to be just the second Petrov will have taken part in since he retired from the professional ranks during his successful battle against the illness. 

Petrov also played in a match between a team he led and an all-stars side from his former club, Celtic, last September. He was moved to tears as the sell-out crowd stood and applauded when the clock hit the 19th minute – his old squad number. 

“I said I wouldn’t cry but I couldn’t hold it,” he said. 

“It was an absolute privilege. I’m just happy to see my family every day.”  

There will be other activities including a charity auction, raffle and entertainment will take place throughout the day. 

Sunday’s sponsors are UHY Accountants (match), European Steel Sheets Ltd (kit), Goals, Perry Barr (programme), Pheasey Lions Supporters Club (ball). Mason Harrison will be among the mascots. 

• 6 months later...

Haha, imagine being the regular central midfielder for that team.

"Morning skipper, who's the new guy?"

"Oh... erm... yeah I forgot to tell you, Joe. We signed up Stilyan Petrov"

"For **** sake!"

*zips up tracksuit, sits on bench for the rest of the season*

• Like 3

"For **** sake!"

Imagine being the poor team turning up to play against them!

Fortunately my 'proper' over 35's team is a division or two lower than the teams the likes of Petrov, Busst, Hendrie and scimeca play for. I'm just hoping the cup draws are kind this season!

Mixed emotions really. So happy he's OK and delighted he's back playing football. A bit sad he never got to return for us. In was a bit ignorant about his disease when he first got it and thought if he could beat it we might have seen him again.

On a side note after seeing tonev some of his new team mates must fancy their chances of Stan getting them a trial somewhere.

"For **** sake!"

Imagine being the poor team turning up to play against them!

Fortunately my 'proper' over 35's team is a division or two lower than the teams the likes of Petrov, Busst, Hendrie and scimeca play for. I'm just hoping the cup draws are kind this season!

Who's your team?! I'm hoping on a good cup draw too!

Not sure if this will link, but here's Stan in the crowd at Chelsea:

10672226_648433505254471_579110197518327

:wub:  :ph34r:  :D

That is a classic Villa fan 'look'. A cross between "What the **** was that?" "What the **** was I expecting?" "What the **** am I doing here?" and "Maybe I should go grab a balti pie. I won't miss anything"

• Like 3

Nice report on the game here

It wasn’t a one-man side. Petrov was very much part of the team. He was the stand-out player, but it wasnt all about him. There were no airs and graces about him. He did his best for the team.

He was a class above, and then a class above that too, as you’d expect from somebody who has played in the Premier League and played international football for Bulgaria.

You could just see that with his touch and technique he was three steps ahead of everybody else. It’s scary to think how good he will be and how he will dominate games when he gets back up to speed.

Very happy to see him playing again. One of my all-time Villa favourites.

• Like 1

Â