Muamba

irreverentad

I agree with a lot of your rant Brumerican, but I think that growing up in religious house and culture I just don't let it bug me. Unfortunately the way people react to news is sickness is always 'pray for X' and I dont see it changing anytime soon

2 minutes applause at the Notlob game today...FFS this is going well OTT.

Unless he died overnight? I haven't heard that on the news though.

2 minutes applause at the Notlob game today...FFS this is going well OTT.

Unless he died overnight? I haven't heard that on the news though.

Everytime they do these applauses it feels like someone has died. Surely they should show support some other way?

Right i'm just going to say it, does anyone else thing that this Muamba thing is going waaaaay OTT now?

If he had of died i'd understand, but it sounds like he's "laughing and joking" around at the minute.

I think with the amount of shock, panic and cautious relief his family, friends and team-mates went through during the whole thing, they are more than entitled to show their support in whatever way they see fit, religiously, spiritually, emotionally, OTT or otherwise for as long as they want IMO. Remember, he hasnt fully recovered yet, just because he can have a joke with his mates and the nursing staff doesnt mean he is not still in a very serious situation.

On the otherhand though.......

Its the cretins like rooney and the like from all the other clubs going OTT that does my head in, pretending that they were best mates or something with him before the incident and all the false sense of overwhelming emotion in their twitter messages. **** right off.

Mediawise, they were always going to milk this for what it was worth so that should not come as a shock to anyone but the thickest of people.

the fact that someone had a heart attack is not the real story here.
Ahh...no, it's certainly not, because Muamba had a cardiac arrest, not a heart attack. It's important to know the difference. Click here for an explanation of the difference.

:D Wow...that's what you decided to pick up on ! I have read the phrase heart attack in numerous articles and was lead to believe that he had a heart attack on the pitch which lead to a cardiac arrest . If that info is wrong then so be it but it is completely irrelevant to the point I was making .

"pray" need not have a supernatural connotation.

what? :lol:

"pray" in general means "to humbly beg someone for aid or their time"; this definition goes back through the French prier ("je vous en prie": "I beg of you" (cf. "Prithee...")) to the Latin precare and ultimately to the Sanskrit prach (to ask). To default to reading a supernatural connotation into it is implicitly to say that the only/main source of aid is supernatural, which I trust is not at all what Brumerican means to say.

I've read some of this thread, not all of it.

I was sitting in my local last Saturday (week). I was watching the Irish rugby team getting their asses handed to them by England.

I checked twitter on my phone. There was messages coming in from all sides.

Muamba had collapsed. It wasn't looking too good.

I love English football. The thoughts of a premiership player dying on the field of play sickened me.

That it was live on television sickened me more.

It was major news.

Then he went to hospital.

Then he didn't die.

Then he started getting better.

Now I am over it. I was very concerned for him & his people at the time.

Now I am not.

Get well soon(er).

"pray" need not have a supernatural connotation.

what? :lol:

"pray" in general means "to humbly beg someone for aid or their time"; this definition goes back through the French prier ("je vous en prie": "I beg of you" (cf. "Prithee...")) to the Latin precare and ultimately to the Sanskrit prach (to ask). To default to reading a supernatural connotation into it is implicitly to say that the only/main source of aid is supernatural, which I trust is not at all what Brumerican means to say.

I don't much care what the etymology of the word is, most words can be traced back hundreds of years to very different meanings.

The fact remains that the word "pray" has for the last couple of hundred years and continues today to have a religious meaning.

My point was, I'm sick of religion being dragged into everything, and then the inevitable same argument occurring. It's old ground, pointless, and quite frankly not really needed in a thread about a young footballer who nearly died on the pitch in front of millions.

If I want to watch a religious argument break out, I'll view it on a **** religion thread on here.

That is my point, not trying to tell you "to say what we can and can not talk about anyway", as previously stipulated, I've seen practically everyone praising the medical teams et cetera, not "praising God for saving him".

As I said - just leave it. Take it up with the people you've seen saying it rather than dragging up old earth.

On a different note, I think it's a bit irresponsible of the the Doctors involved (after agreement from Muamba / his family) to not say exactly what happened. To the outside world it seems as if he had no symptoms whatsoever and he just dropped down dead with his heart just stopping. If it can happen to an incredibly fit athlete, it surely can happen to anyone. There are going to be quite a lot of people confused about if they should look out for symptoms, or how widespread this actually is, or if you have family history then you're more likely to get it etc.

They could use this as a fantastic platform to raise awareness of the condition, if it's what we assume it to be, and to better educate people on how they should look out for it. Personally, I've had a few ECGs where I believe any sign of Cardiomyopathy should show up, and there's no family history as far as I know, so I think I'm fairly safe. Lots of other people may be laying off the exercise a bit because they think it will do them more harm than good.

On a different note, I think it's a bit irresponsible of the the Doctors involved (after agreement from Muamba / his family) to not say exactly what happened. To the outside world it seems as if he had no symptoms whatsoever and he just dropped down dead with his heart just stopping. If it can happen to an incredibly fit athlete, it surely can happen to anyone. There are going to be quite a lot of people confused about if they should look out for symptoms, or how widespread this actually is, or if you have family history then you're more likely to get it etc.

They could use this as a fantastic platform to raise awareness of the condition, if it's what we assume it to be, and to better educate people on how they should look out for it. Personally, I've had a few ECGs where I believe any sign of Cardiomyopathy should show up, and there's no family history as far as I know, so I think I'm fairly safe. Lots of other people may be laying off the exercise a bit because they think it will do them more harm than good.

My guess is that the lack of info is down to his family, and rightly so, make sure he gets better first then im sure once he is at home or whatever we will be told more. Let the focus and efforts solely be on getting him well again for now.

Â