Muamba

irreverentad

There was a cardiologist interviewed on SSN this morning and he seemed surprisingly optimistic.

Seemed to be saying that the situation Muamba's in right now is pretty sommon for someone recovering from cardiac arrest.

Obviously he didn't know the specifics of it, but sounded relatively promising.

A positive to take from this is if this had happened 10 years ago, Muamba would have been dead on Saturday. The medical care at games has come on a lot.

There was a cardiologist interviewed on SSN this morning and he seemed surprisingly optimistic.

Seemed to be saying that the situation Muamba's in right now is pretty sommon for someone recovering from cardiac arrest.

Obviously he didn't know the specifics of it, but sounded relatively promising.

A positive to take from this is if this had happened 10 years ago, Muamba would have been dead on Saturday. The medical care at games has come on a lot.

I hope he pulls through obviously, but has anything been mentioned about what sort of life he will lead afterwards? Is he likely to be brain damaged?

Hope he pulls through do people think he will play again?

If his brain has been starved of oxygen there could be some serious implications[/quote

Really sorry to hear about this. Hope he plays again.

I don't think anyone knows until he comes out of his drug induced coma and does some cognitive tests

I doubt he will play football again though i really hope he does but i think insurance will be a problem

I see reports that Bolton are looking at pulling out of the FA Cup because the younger players in particular can't face returning to WHL. I think this is a bit of a get back on the horse moment, tomorrow should be off without a doubt but these guys (regardless of outcome) have got to get back to playing football at some point and they are going to have to play against Spurs again one day.

I hope this does not come across as being unfair, it is a very tough situation for a lot of people, but as with the rest of us when a friend or relative falls ill (or worse) we have to get on with life.

edit - The obvious floor in this is if things change for the worse in the build up to the game and the situation is similiar to the one they face with Tuesday fixture against Aston Villa.

I think even if he recovered enough to be fit enough to play again, he wouldn't.

I wouldn't if I knew I could keel over at any minute if my heart was working too hard.

As for the brain thing, I guess it depends how soon they were able to get blood pumping round his body, I guess we won't know properly until (or if) he's brought out of sedation

I hope he pulls through obviously, but has anything been mentioned about what sort of life he will lead afterwards? Is he likely to be brain damaged?

They've learned from people who have fallen into frozen lakes/rivers and gone without air for quite some time but still been revived successfully.

If the body & brain is cooled to very low temperatures, it helps the brain get over the shock of being without oxygen. He'll possibly be sedated

heavily so they can reduce his body temperature a great deal to minimize the risk of long term damage.

I don't think anyone will know until they bring him out of this, which is why they can't say anymore than he's critical but stable.

I do not think he will play again

Probably unless he has a heart transplant, if it is a heart muscle problem of the type people are conjecturing, because from what my friend's were told, in young people, it's not really treatable.

Some viruses can cause the heart muscle to enlarge as well out of the blue.

I'm not sure if you could ever play such a strenuous sport after going through that kind of surgery neither.

Do medical staff normally keep trying to revive the heart for 2 hours.

From my non-existent medical knowledge, i had assumed that after trying for a few mins in the hospital, they would have given up and pronounced him dead?

Muamba remains in intensive care where he is showing small signs of improvement. His heart is beating without the help of medication and he is also moving his arms and legs.

His long term prognosis will remain unclear for sometime

More positive news! Hang in there Fabrice!

Muamba remains in intensive care where he is showing small signs of improvement. His heart is beating without the help of medication and he is also moving his arms and legs.

His long term prognosis will remain unclear for sometime

More positive news! Hang in there Fabrice!

Yep, welcomed positive news. Still not out of the woods by any stretch of the imagination.

Whilst I think it's extremely tragic with whats happened to Muamba, here's a shout for everyone or anyone who's living or passed away through similar occurrences who hasnt got the extremely good medical staff/facility's on hand.

This must happen to a lot of people and it goes completely un-noticed, yet is equally as sad.

Whilst I think it's extremely tragic with whats happened to Muamba, here's a shout for everyone or anyone who's living or passed away through similar occurrences who hasnt got the extremely good medical staff/facility's on hand.

This must happen to a lot of people and it goes completely un-noticed, yet is equally as sad.

Oh i fully agree Pieboy. I was sat there over the weekend thinked about just that. Thinking what **** chance would i have stood if it had happened to me while i was playing football!?

Like you say, its tragic whats happened to Muamba and my heart goes out to him and his family, i hope he makes a fully recovery, but there are many poor folks who it happens to who are not so lucky as to have emergency services on stand-by.

Just goes to show, you just dont know when he's going to come calling and when your times up. :(

Â