Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

Zatman

I think if they had gone out to one of the big three clubs then fair enough but to concede 6 goals in both matches against Monaco has to be seen as failure. Its ok him saying they should have attacked first half  yesterday but I agree with Trent he got the tactics totally wrong and failed to change it until the second half. I don't understand why that change couldn't have happened first half. That has to be down to Pep.

Pep is a very good manager.

But he's also very stubborn and dogmatic in how he want's his team to play. His teams (try to) play the same way regardless of who they are playing. Even when it is clearly not the best option.

His biggest issue at City is that he hasn't got good enough defenders to play the way he want's to, and I'm sure he knows it. Anyone can clearly see it.

But Pep being Pep he refuses to adopt

36 minutes ago, sne said:

But Pep being Pep he refuses to adopt

I'm not sure adopting would help :)

As for the rest of your post, personally I question how good a manager is if they aren't able or willing to adapt.

As for not having good enough defenders that is no excuse. He had 5 months notice he had the job, probably more unofficially, he then spent an absolute fortune on players.

If he hasn't the players he needs that is his fault. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It was nothing to do with them being better to watch. They're a better team in terms of results in the league, which I'd argue is the fairest measure. yes they've gone out of the champions league, but that's one tie against a very good team. If they'd drawn Leverkusen in this round they might still be in it and it would be a different conversation.

As soon as Man City lose people seem to pile into this thread, tripping over themselves to say how much Guardiola has flopped and how crap City are. it's weird.

Its more down to the ridiculous praise Guardiola gets. I'm sick of hearing about how he's some genius for a bog standard job at Bayern and a decent job at Barca. 

Its no different than people getting joy out of one of the big European clubs losing, because they get mad hype and praise, or a big name player having a terrible game. 

With Pep, the hype isn't all his fault. But his arrogance towards the game here is. 

I'd absolutely love him to fail here, like him taking Bayern backwards in Europe I enjoyed. 

Edited by kurtsimonw
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Then, his 'innovative' tactics, such as playing fullbacks who can't defend at centre half, are at best hubris (believing his own hype that he can 'push the boundaries') and at worst, just utterly brainless. 

i think the defence thing is being overlooked way too much. think I saw the City team playing on Wednesday cost 385 million yet he has an attacking fullback at centre half

e.g. If Bruce played Amavi at centre half instead of Baker or Chester there would be uproar at VP and on here

• Like 2

13 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Its more down to the ridiculous praise Guardiola gets. I'm sick of hearing about how he's some genius for a bog standard job at Bayern and a decent job at Barca. 

Its no different than people getting joy out of one of the big European clubs losing, because they get mad hype and praise, or a big name player having a terrible game. 

With Pep, the hype isn't all his fault. But his arrogance towards the game here is. 

I'd absolutely love him to fail here, like him taking Bayern backwards in Europe I enjoyed. 

This is so strange :D 

14 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

It's not the praise that he gets that annoys me as much as his own arrogance and the way he's conducted himself since he's been Man City boss. Some of his press conferences this season have been particularly poor and he seems to get away with it when other managers are slated for the way they act.

I also don't get the people defending him by saying Monaco are a great team. This is the last 16 of the Champions League and every team in it is going to be decent. When Monaco were beating Spurs earlier on in the tournament there was no mention of this great side. Of the teams left in only Leicester are below them with the bookmakers in the odds of winning the whole thing.

I just think that if any other manager had gone out over two legs to Monaco with the money they've spent there'd be more questions being asked, particularly with the tactics that were employed in that second leg.

To be perfectly honest I'd rather praise managers like Pep who try and play attacking football rather than Mourinho who tries to kill games and sneak 1-0 wins. 

I know football is only about the results, but as a neutral I'd much rather watch City than United. 

Edited by PieFacE

4 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

To be perfectly honest I'd rather praise managers like Pep who try and play attacking football rather than Mourinho who tries to kill games and sneak 1-0 wins. 

I know football is only about the results, but as a neutral I'd much rather watch City than United. 

It's funny isn't it?  If there was no money at stake, no promotion, relegation etc, then Pep's brand would be great to watch.

But as it is, with all of those things, then Mourinho's style is probably a safer bet. 

Football should be entertaining, not a business model, which we all know is ever more likely and common.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

I am surprised he hasn't given Delph a chance. I know hes hated here but for me he was our best player

I am not surprised at all. Delph was average here and was never good enough for a top 10 side

2 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

It is as strange as the fact you jump to his defence every time he loses or goes out of something. 

It's interesting - Guardiola and Mourinho are incredibly similar characters (personally, find Mourinho a hell of a lot more dislikeable) but this thread is all about how Guardiola is "failing" and lol at the results I'd love him to **** up and he's spent <x> amount and failing...

...whereas the Man United thread is literally only talking about Pogba being poor value at £83m(!) when Man Utd have scraped past shit opposition in the Europa League (no chat), are sat 6th (3 places below City) in the Premier League and have scored less goals than Bournemouth this season.

The self-proclaimed "Special One" gets nothing batted in his direction.  He's recently launched a fairly cowardly attack on pundits and moaning about the fixture schedule having spent more than everyone bar City in the league improving his "squad" (with fewer players than City, too) - no mention.  Strange.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

It's funny isn't it?  If there was no money at stake, no promotion, relegation etc, then Pep's brand would be great to watch.

But as it is, with all of those things, then Mourinho's style is probably a safer bet. 

Football should be entertaining, not a business model, which we all know is ever more likely and common.

I'd rather watch an attacking team... but we've covered this elsewhere - I seek entertainment in football, others only seek results.

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

It's interesting - Guardiola and Mourinho are incredibly similar characters (personally, find Mourinho a hell of a lot more dislikeable) but this thread is all about how Guardiola is "failing" and lol at the results I'd love him to **** up and he's spent <x> amount and failing...

...whereas the Man United thread is literally only talking about Pogba being poor value at £83m(!) when Man Utd have scraped past shit opposition in the Europa League (no chat), are sat 6th (3 places below City) in the Premier League and have scored less goals than Bournemouth this season.

The self-proclaimed "Special One" gets nothing batted in his direction.  He's recently launched a fairly cowardly attack on pundits and moaning about the fixture schedule having spent more than everyone bar City in the league improving his "squad" (with fewer players than City, too) - no mention.  Strange.

Jose gets a lot of criticism on here. I can't remember how many times I've had to disprove the myth that he only wins by spending. 

As for their European record, why would he be criticised for winning? Probably best to wait for them to go out and there will be mention of it. Although, let's be honest, Mourinho gets enough mention in most other football threads. Whether it be about his results, play style, interviews, etc. So you've picked the wrong example IMO. 

Edited by kurtsimonw

42 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Jose gets a lot of criticism on here. I can't remember how many times I've had to disprove the myth that he only wins by spending. 

As for their European record, why would he be criticised for winning? Probably best to wait for them to go out and there will be mention of it. Although, let's be honest, Mourinho gets enough mention in most other football threads. Whether it be about his results, play style, interviews, etc. So you've picked the wrong example IMO. 

He does win by spending.  He hasn't in the past (neither has Guardiola?), but that's what he does in recent times.  Maybe more a sign of the times, who knows.

Mourinho is just seen as some outrageously good manager who avoids the kind of vitriol that is afforded to others.  Look at this thread, the Arsenal thread and the Liverpool thread.  All discussing the merits of the guys in charge (i.e: not being good enough or lol love to see them failing).  The United thread?  All about Pogba.  They sit behind all of these teams, have spent more than all apart from City, have a genius manager but trail.  Nothing gets said about poor performance.

In fact, the last comments seem to be praising Mourinho for an unbeaten run!  The guy has managed to spin some spell.

Edited by bobzy

Â