Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

Zatman

35 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He's massively underrated imo.

He's english and he went for loads of money which seems to automatically label him as a flop for the rest of his career.

He's a very good player.

He hasn't got shit on Ash Young from 08-10.

That's how good he is.  He'll chip in with 7-10 a season, but he's still the new Shaun Wright-Phillips in my opinion.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Theres no doubting his a good player but does he perform in the big matches. He was hopeless In Monaco.

He was very good in the first leg though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

He's massively underrated imo.

He's english and he went for loads of money which seems to automatically label him as a flop for the rest of his career.

He's a very good player.

Definitely this. Assuming he scores 1 more this season, it'll be 4 straight seasons reaching double figures for goals. For someone who doesn't play up front, who's end product is supposedly lacking and turned 22 a few months ago, I'd say he's not having a bad career at all. 

I don't think I have seen a player have so many top class attributes like Sterling and so many abysmal ones too. He does so many goof things but will regularily fail to connect with a tap in from 5 yards or strike a ball cleanly from 20. I am not sure if it is mental or not at this point.

Also, if it's 1-1 in a knockout game and he has burst down the wing, hit the byline and only has to play a simple square pass across the box...he is going to mess it up.

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

Theres no doubting his a good player but does he perform in the big matches. He was hopeless In Monaco.

I'm not even sure this is a thing.  It gets thrown around about so many players (Ibrahimovic always the hilarious one), but where is there any grounding for it?  Didn't Sterling score the winner against Arsenal earlier in the season, for example?

Sterling is a cracking player and only 22.  It's bonkers the amount of dislike there is towards our young, English players (Harry Kane aside, apparently).

For a £50m attacking player his return is indeed pretty more. Doesn't score enough, he's got what, 6 league goals this season? He also has 5 assists in the league. There's players in his position who cost a fraction of his fee doing more. An extremely underwhelming player if there ever was one and will never be instrumental to any major success at City.

6 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

For a £50m attacking player his return is indeed pretty more. Doesn't score enough, he's got what, 6 league goals this season? He also has 5 assists in the league. There's players in his position who cost a fraction of his fee doing more. An extremely underwhelming player if there ever was one and will never be instrumental to any major success at City.

This was my point earlier.

A victim of his price tag. If he was performing as he is now but had stayed at Liverpool he wouldn't get half the hate.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

This was my point earlier.

A victim of his price tag. If he was performing as he is now but had stayed at Liverpool he wouldn't get half the hate.

he would probably get even more ;)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, bobzy said:

I'm not even sure this is a thing.  It gets thrown around about so many players (Ibrahimovic always the hilarious one), but where is there any grounding for it?  Didn't Sterling score the winner against Arsenal earlier in the season, for example?

Its something that's never really made sense. Of course you're less likely to score against better teams with better players, that's how football generally works. 

Aguero scored half of his total of 4 CL KO stage goals in this year's first leg against Monaco. It doesn't make him a bad player, it just means he's come up against harder teams on a more regular basis at that level. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Far too simplistic.  On the price tag alone, they paid £50m for a 20 year old.  If he plays at Man City for 10 seasons, developing his game at the same time, he'll be well worth it - £5m/season.  If he doesn't "make it", he'll have a good resale value.

"Extremely underwhelming" is absolutely bonkers.

Sometimes it's how you want to interpret things too. For example, I noticed whoscored and most sites online gave Sterling 0 assists away to Hull and have his assist total in the Prem at around 5/6 this season. 

However transfermarkt gives Sterling 2 assists against Hull. The first of which was for winning a penalty which was scored, the second was playing the ball across, which Davies put in to his own net. 

On transfermarkt he has 20 assists (and 9 goals) in all competitions this season. For me, winning penalties, forcing own goals are as much as a positive to a players game than a conventional assist. It shows he causes chaos in the opposition area. Contributing directly to 29 goals this season is a pretty massive amount. Whether you think winning a penalty should count on the stat sheets is kind of irrelevant, but it's certainly a direct contribution to a goal and should be considered as such. 

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Far too simplistic.  On the price tag alone, they paid £50m for a 20 year old.  If he plays at Man City for 10 seasons, developing his game at the same time, he'll be well worth it - £5m/season.  If he doesn't "make it", he'll have a good resale value.

"Extremely underwhelming" is absolutely bonkers.

It's not bonkers, he isn't distinguishing himself as a top class player as far as I'm concerned, when he ought to be based on cost and the team he's playing for. 

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

when he ought to be based on cost

See? 

A victim of his price tag.

It's not his fault Man City paid £50m for him. He can't become a better player just because someone paid a load of money.

This is exactly what I was talking about earlier.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

See? 

A victim of his price tag.

It's not his fault Man City paid £50m for him. He can't become a better player just because someone paid a load of money.

This is exactly what I was talking about earlier.

Asymmetric information aside, price is largely a function of quality so naturally you would expect someone to deliver big when they are signed for a lot of money. Unless you're saying that Liverpool basically absolutely fleeced City.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

You're paying for potential at that age. he is nowhere near the finished article. Unlike De Bruyne who they paid about the same price for who is the finished article. A player like Neymar would cost over £200 mil

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Asymmetric information aside, price is largely a function of quality so naturally you would expect someone to deliver big when they are signed for a lot of money. Unless you're saying that Liverpool basically absolutely fleeced City.

No - you're saying that City have made the decision that purchasing a 20 year old for £50m will be good business in the long run.  To expect Sterling to immediately become a 20-goal-a-season player based on a £50m purchase is nonsense.

People wrongly expect immediate returns from lots of money - we've seen exactly the same thing at Villa this season.

Edited by bobzy

4 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I'm not saying anything about the business.

What I'm saying is that Sterling is being judged more harshly because he was signed for £50m, something that is completely out of his control.

I think if he was performing as he is now, but had never left Liverpool, people would be much more complimentary about how he plays.

But because he has this huge price tag hanging over him people are suddenly saying he's crap.

4 hours ago, PaulC said:

You're paying for potential at that age. he is nowhere near the finished article. Unlike De Bruyne who they paid about the same price for who is the finished article. A player like Neymar would cost over £200 mil

thats it for me, his technique is still a bit questionable, he doesnt always look that comfortable on the ball and probably most unfortunately for him he plays in a position that turns a "quality" player to shit all too often, labeling him the next SWP, he's probably about the 15th player to have that tag, fortunately for him i think theres every danger pep will sort that out

way too early to write him off thats for sure

and further to what @Stevo985 is saying about the price tag i would add that he left the worlds biggestest and bestest club in the history of the world ever which was only for money and nothing else which makes him an incredibly unlikable snake which makes everyone make him want to fail (in all seriousness though he does come across like a dick and everyone hates liverpool / city which is part of why people want him to fail)

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

Â