Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

Zatman

17 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Stones is one of the biggest hype jobs in the history of British football, will be at a club like Stoke before he's 27.

if Stones played 10/12 years ago he be Titus Bramble

6 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Theres some truth though in it not being easy to play central defender for these very attack minded managers  like Pep, Klopp and Enrique. Far easier for Gary Cahill at Chelsea.

dunno jaap Stam, Nemanja Vidic, Rio Ferdinand, Sol Campbell, Carles Puyol. Sergio Ramos. Paolo Maldini etc. have done OK in their careers

fact is Pep Guardiola and Roberto Martinez have no interest in developing defenders and is horrible for Stones future

Edited by Zatman

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

dunno jaap Stam, Nemanja Vidic, Rio Ferdinand, Sol Campbell, Carles Puyol. Sergio Ramos. Paolo Maldini have done OK in their careers

fact is Pep Guardiola and Roberto Martinez have no interest in developing defenders and is horrible for Stones future

Yes they are out to entertain. The focus is on scoring goals which I think is good for football.,

Edited by PaulC

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Do you think that Stones would be better off being managed by Pulis or Allardyce?

5 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Do you think that Stones would be better off being managed by Pulis or Allardyce?

maybe though you also have to wonder why he hasnt learned the basics at a younger age 

Moyes staying at Everton might have made him a little bit more solid in defence

I think as a young footballer you want 3 things from your career.

1) earn lots of money

2) play for a 'top' (CL) team

3) win trophies

I bet he's happier at City being criticised in the press than being at Stoke or WBA being praised.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

As much as Stones is over hyped so too is the criticism, he is a far better player than many give him credit for.

Personally I think he is being left exposed by Pep's tactics and selections.

Considering how open the game was yesterday I thought Stones had a brilliant game.

• Like 1

On 20/03/2017 at 08:19, TrentVilla said:

As much as Stones is over hyped so too is the criticism, he is a far better player than many give him credit for.

Personally I think he is being left exposed by Pep's tactics and selections.

That's a symptom of the price tag though, every time I notice poor play from him (which is quite often) it just makes you think "how much did they pay for him again?"

I also don't see any evidence of him learning from his mistakes either, but that is probably down to being managed by Martinez and Guardiola.

He's certainly not a bad player but there has been a lot of over the top hype, mostly from English pundits, that I think people are reacting to - as opposed to just going "he's shiiiiit!"

I know at least when I criticise him, it's relative to the level he's playing at. I think he's out of his depth there, should have stayed at Everton. And as far as comparisons to Cahill go, he is not even close to being as good a defender.

• Like 2

Stones is ahead of where Cahill was at 22, but the question is whether Stones will actually go on and develop into a better player. Cahill developed loads at Bolton and then at Chelsea. Stones clearly isn't improving at all at City, he looks more shaky and error prone than when I saw him play for Everton as he is getting badly exposed by a tactically inept manager (when it comes to defending). Evidently, the bizarre tactics and pairings Stones has had to endure (e.g. playing with Kolarov at the back) are not helping his game. 

IMO there's no real evidence to assert, with any certainty, that Stones will be better than Cahill as things stand. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

Â