Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

ClaretMahoney

we have more teams within the city and far far more within a sensible driving distance away, i think lose as many fans up the M6 as we do to blues and baggies, man city wont help those figures

then of course we have what IMO is the most obvious answer but is hardly ever discussed, the crowd at VP is hardly representative of the ethnicity of the city, 20% of brum is asian, id guess <5% of the crowd is asian, if villa could somehow get the local asian community interested in the club then we'd be much bigger than we are

It's a good point.

The school I went to had lots of asian pupils. I'd guess my year was approaching 50% asian.

I'm racking my brain but I can't remember a single one of them being a villa fan.

One of my best mates from university is an Asian villa fan, I think he might be the only one I know personally.

I was speaking to mates of mine, asian lads and 2 support liverpool and one supports man united, the latter lives just off trinity road. I asked them as they all live within sight of albion or villa park why they support the teams that they do. The main reason was from their parents, they all said when their dads came to the uk to integrate and fit in they chose a football team, at the time the biggest clubs were man united and liverpool, so they picked that, and their sons, my mates just copied their dads. Admittedly all of them have been to quite a large number of games at VP, and all of them said they hate it, they said it was a very racist place in the late 90's/00's, however they agreed it isnt now.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would you want supporters like that? So many of them are painfully ignorant, at least if I meet someone that supporter "smaller" clubs at least they have generally more insight. There are always exceptions, not everyone is the same but man you see a lot of the same things over and over again. Don`t let it get to your head.

I do think that if this progression will grow in the next years/decade then I am out. There is a limit for me, and while that train has gone some time ago you do have to wonder what the next step is....

I am surprised with how little press Pellegrini is getting. Wenger, Mourinho and Moyes always seem to be discussed  and I always hear some news about them multiple times a week, but Pellegrini has largely been anonymous all season which is strange considering how much press Mancini got. I think that's a good thing for Citeh.

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes I think to myself... what happens when the owners of Man City get bored?

Probably not a huge amount.

They're stable enough where they are now to be a success regardless.

OK they might not splash the cash quite so much but I'd wager they generate enough revenue these days to be rich enough regardless.

And its not like there won't be another billionaire to own a club like them anyway if there owners do sell.

Sometimes I think to myself... what happens when the owners of Man City get bored?

They won't get bored.  City isn't a plaything for them, it's the face of the Abu Dhabi Tourist Agency.  City win something - everyone talks about Abu Dhabi.  City buy somebody - everyone talks about Abu Dhabi.

At last count 90% of Abu Dhabi's brand recognition was through MCFC.

• Like 1

Plus sheikh mansour seems to be dreaming of a soccer empire, maybe as his own personal life project or something. Buying two feeder clubs in smaller developing leagues isn't something a team would do that has potentially disinterested owners.

Edited by Rovers13

Buying two feeder clubs in smaller developing leagues isn't something a team would do that has potentially disinterested owners.

True that, but I think the feeder clubs are also a bit of a swerve so that Manchester City can get around Financial Fair Play.  It's very easy to get money off of your books if you own multiple companies who are in the same business. 

• Like 1

yeah they showed him there

agree with Nuremberg, this is doing huge things for abu dhabi for etihad etc the new york club will no doubt spread the word the other side of the pond too

he's not getting bored, its not just city, look at what they're building outside the ground...

also agree with Rev, the feeder clubs will no doubt be a way of muddying the waters when it comes to FFP, expenditure transferred over to new york, revenue transferred over to manchester etc would expect with the other 2 clubs and the metrolpolis they are building city's operating costs will be somewhere near the lowest in the league, coaches, physios can be signed off to the college next door, group directors and the likes of begiristain can be signed off against the group

Edited by villa4europe

• 1 month later...

Just had a look on Bluemoon to see how long Yaya Toure is gonna be out for and there are plenty of people on there calling him "a passenger" and that they will be better off without him! Imagine what they'd be like watching our midfield!

Just had a look on Bluemoon to see how long Yaya Toure is gonna be out for and there are plenty of people on there calling him "a passenger" and that they will be better off without him! Imagine what they'd be like watching our midfield!

I refuse to believe that.

He has failed to turn up for City in their big games a lot.

If he can get hold of him and push him back a bit, he shrinks into himself.

Obviously, an absolute class player though.

I feel robbed of watching Toure v Gerrard yesterday.

To be fair they have a point. He doesn't bother his arse tackling or tracking back and only turns it on when he feels like it. If he played 100% every week he'd probably be the best midfielder in the world.

Joe Hart at fault for another goal yesterday. Shocking how little stick he gets because he is English.

It was the suggestion that Javi Garcia would be better in their remaining games I took issue with. Also Yaya seems to turn it on against so called lesser teams...look at their remaining fixtures, they need him.

Sorry which goal was Hart at fault for? Isn't Torre the third highest scorer in the Premier League this season. Man City should just use his as an attacking midfield player. They have other players that can do the donkey work.

Â