Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

ClaretMahoney

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Be strange if they were to win the title, qualify for the Champions league and be relegated all in one go.

You do wonder if this investigation will be fast tracked. Them being in the title hunt complicates matters for sure 

This has to be an open secret, surely? That Citeh were spending shifty money. They get bought by a nation state with bottomless pockets, and suddenly they spend with abandon? The revenue isn't there to legitimately do that. Look at Leicester, they won that miracle season, they didn't suddenly become commercial juggernauts. But Citeh did.

Its **** obvious they're cheating.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

You do wonder if this investigation will be fast tracked. Them being in the title hunt complicates matters for sure 

I think the speed of the investigation will be one thing - it's possible the panel could reach a judgement by the end of the season, it might take them a few months longer.

Then we get the decision on punishments, then we get the first appeals process, then we get the escalation of appeals process.

The commission might decide in May, the punishment might be in 2027.

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think the speed of the investigation will be one thing - it's possible the panel could reach a judgement by the end of the season, it might take them a few months longer.

Then we get the decision on punishments, then we get the first appeals process, then we get the escalation of appeals process.

The commission might decide in May, the punishment might be in 2027.

i didn't think they could appeal? this is different from the UEFA investigation i was lead to believe. Once the PL have made their decision, the punishment will be made

4 minutes ago, Chindie said:

This has to be an open secret, surely? That Citeh were spending shifty money. They get bought by a nation state with bottomless pockets, and suddenly they spend with abandon? The revenue isn't there to legitimately do that. Look at Leicester, they won that miracle season, they didn't suddenly become commercial juggernauts. But Citeh did.

it's been a running joke since day 1. how it's taken hacked emails for an investigation to be triggered is absolutely staggering.

5 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Or they did stuff like this
https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/newcastle-united-noon-sleeve-sponsorship-kayak-saudi-arabia-pif/?zephr_sso_ott=z9SB6F

English top-flight soccer club Newcastle United have announced ecommerce platform Noon as their new sleeve partner for the 2022/23 season.

The value of the deal has not been disclosed, but soccer finance expert Kieran Maguire reports Newcastle had set an asking price of UK£7.5 million (US$9.2 million) a year for the inventory. Currently, sleeve partnerships for Premier League clubs outside the ‘big six’ are typically worth between UK£500,000 (US$614,000) and UK£2 million (US$2.5 million) per season.

Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund (PIF), Newcastle’s majority owner, is a significant backer of Riyadh-based Noon, which bills itself as the Middle East’s leading online shopping destination. The new deal replaces Kayak after the travel search engine’s agreement expired at the end of 2021/22.

The owner of the club gets another one of his businesses to sponsor the club at massively overinflated prices in a way to artificially boost their commercial income and circumvent FFP.

• Like 3

One of the main allegations is that City's Management/directors intentionally misled their accountants, the PL's audit team etc for 9 years. That's some allegation! It's saying that it's systemic and basically the City directors and the owners are liars. Very broad statement by the PL. Not so easy to sweep that allegation under the carpet. The PL must have some damning evidence or they would be sued through the roof.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/newcastle-united-noon-sleeve-sponsorship-kayak-saudi-arabia-pif/?zephr_sso_ott=z9SB6F

The owner of the club gets another one of his businesses to sponsor the club at massively overinflated prices in a way to artificially boost their commercial income and circumvent FFP.

Well that's basically one of the things the charges boil down to with Citeh. They were artificially pumping in money through businesses with relationships to them, hiding investment that wouldn't be permissable under the guise of commercial revenue.

The other charges boil down to hiding expenditure (i.e. a managers wage being paid off the books in a round about way), and simply not complying with the investigation, which also breaks the rules.

10 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

But this is the entire problem with FFP.

How do you police this?

Just get rid of the damn thing.  The only fair FFP is that every team gets the same yearly budget to spend on players and wages.

Either that, or nothing.

The damning bit for me is the off-books payments to players and staff. Inflation of sponsorship is one thing - it's bending the rules but it's not breaking them if they're sensible enough about it.

Paying people "only" £100k a week and then another £100k through bonuses or whatever is a clear sign of rule breaking.

The problem is, they're being done by the PL - not the FA, or EFL (which, as   an aside is why they won't have their FA/EFL cups stripped). If the PL kick them out, would the EFL necessarily accept them as part of their structure? They dont HAVE to...

14 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Was gonna say, you'll find Newcastle are doing exactly the same thing, its not allowed, an I'm sure they will also be investigated soon enough.

Premier league getting there shit in order, before the regulatiors come in and stop the brown envelopes. Someone defo took a earner to get that Newcastle deal done, it was dead in the water due to their illegal streaming service, then all of a sudden its signed, streaming service forgot about.

2 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

The damning bit for me is the off-books payments to players and staff. Inflation of sponsorship is one thing - it's bending the rules but it's not breaking them if they're sensible enough about it.

Paying people "only" £100k a week and then another £100k through bonuses or whatever is a clear sign of rule breaking.

The problem is, they're being done by the PL - not the FA, or EFL (which, as   an aside is why they won't have their FA/EFL cups stripped). If the PL kick them out, would the EFL necessarily accept them as part of their structure? They dont HAVE to...

Of course they would.  It wasn't their rules they broke, and they get a "big" club to bring in more revenue. They might make them start at the bottom though.

Whether the PL would have them back if they then got promoted back to their is also another matter, and would make their existence rather pointless.

I don't see them being expelled. Point deduction probably likely if found guilty.

1 minute ago, MrBlack said:

Of course they would.  It wasn't their rules they broke, and they get a "big" club to bring in more revenue. They might make them start at the bottom though.

Whether the PL would have them back if they then got promoted back to their is also another matter, and would make their existence rather pointless.

I don't see them being expelled. Point deduction probably likely if found guilty.

Premier league have to follow this up for reasons which maybe become more clearer if the regulators come in. I doubt though they will expell City from the league, the PL know they couldn't afford to lose their income.

25 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i didn't think they could appeal? this is different from the UEFA investigation i was lead to believe. Once the PL have made their decision, the punishment will be made

They can appeal, if found guilty. I posted the details a page back, or maybe 2.

After the commission publishes its verdict, either side can go to an appeals panel and, after that, arbitration. If all that fails, a party could try to find an argument to take to the high court. Under the rules of association of the Premier League there is no opportunity for either party to go to the court of arbitration for sport in Switzerland.

• Like 1

Â