Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

Zatman

1 minute ago, Genie said:

I bet Barca still get circa €100m for him in Jan. Obviously he’ll be expensive for wages but for some reason it’s not the super stupid numbers banded around in the Summer.

He can agree a Bosman with somebody in January. Barcelona be lucky to get 10 million for him. City is probably the only team that could attract him so its not a big market out there 

Edited by Zatman

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He can agree a Bosman with somebody in January. Barcelona be lucky to get 10 million for him. City is probably the only team that could attract him so its not a big market out there 

You’re right but I still expect him to go for a hefty transfer fee.
I expect there’s a few rich owned clubs who’d like him as a trophy purchase.

Granted this is far more tumultuous then the average yearly Messi-new contract tantrum. But considering Bartomeu is gone and Xavi  or someone by Messi's choosing is likely coming in with the new president I would be surprised if Messi doesn't end up staying at Barca.

Would be fun if he left and came to City thou. If he left for PSG it would be kinda pointless.

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

You’re right but I still expect him to go for a hefty transfer fee.
I expect there’s a few rich owned clubs who’d like him as a trophy purchase.

Maybe but it seems he wants to go to City. None of the Italian teams could afford him, Bayern certainly no and in the Premier League, Chelsea maybe interested but Liverpool wont touch him and United well I think Messi has more sense. 

Will be city or psg that can afford or attract him. I dont think he will go China or Middle Eadt

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

I read that Messi thinks he has one or two more Balon D'Ors in him and playing for Guardiola is his most likely avenue.  Barca are too buggered on and off the pitch.

I wouldn’t be surprised he Barca or Real came sniffing around our prize star 😢

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Honestly if the likes of them or Bayern came in for him with a big sack of cash, I'd wish him all the best. 

I'd feel sick watching him play for another PL club or taking a smaller step up but still not winning things, but I'd take some joy from watching him win  the CL. Preferably with us though :) 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Genie said:

Still a bit young for Barca!  Real at least seem a bit more clued up about signing players on the way up but I suspect they'll put their eggs in the Mbappe basket.

27 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Honestly if the likes of them or Bayern came in for him with a big sack of cash, I'd wish him all the best. 

I'd feel sick watching him play for another PL club or taking a smaller step up but still not winning things, but I'd take some joy from watching him win  the CL. Preferably with us though :) 

I couldn’t see him in Germany.
I think for a lot of young English players the pinnacle is playing in Spain for one of Real Madrid/Barcelona. 
If they come calling, then you go.

I’d wish him all the best.

6 hours ago, YouUnastanFren said:

I thought he'd be off and primed to take the Juve job. They'll continue to play well under him but the whole project just seems a bit stagnant at the minute.

Doesn't it just!

I wonder if there is a touch of the Wenger about him, this desire for his troops to perfectly aestheticise his untouchably perfect 'vision' of football?  Even if the tides appear to be turning somewhat.  I wonder if deep down he finds all this speed metal sturm und drang Klopp hyperfootball to be a bit vulgar, a bit gauche, and he's waiting patiently in the wings for things to calm down.  And then his elven army can swoop majestically to save us all over again.

Or, I don't know, middle age can be a bitch.  But. certainly, Pep's Man City have a bit of a Last Year's Model quality.  Will be intriguing to see how Pep responds to no longer being best in show.  Does he stick or twist?  Can he fight dirty in dirtier times or can his origami football somehow regain its edge?

• Like 2

Link

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola says he wants Lionel Messi to finish his career at Barcelona.

Guardiola signed a two-year contract extension with City on Thursday and was immediately linked with his ex-player, who came close to moving last summer.

Messi's contract ends next summer and he could sign pre-contract terms with any club outside Spain from 1 January.

Guardiola said: "Messi is a Barcelona player. I said it a thousand times. As a fan, I want Leo to finish there."

Argentine playmaker Messi had looked set to join City after putting in a transfer request in August, only for Barcelona's then-president Josep Maria Bartomeu to block the transfer.

Bartomeu then resigned in October but Messi's future remains uncertain.

"His contract finishes this year [season] and I don't know what will happen in his mind," Guardiola said.

Paris St-Germain have also been linked with the 33-year-old, although every candidate Barcelona presidential election - to be held in January - has said it is a priority for them to persuade Messi to stay at the Nou Camp.

"I have huge gratitude for Barcelona and what they have done for me," said Guardiola, who worked with Messi when managing Barcelona between 2008 and 2012. 

"In the academy, as a player and a manager, they gave me absolutely everything. Right now Messi is a Barcelona player and the transfer market is in June and July.

"We have incredible games and targets and things we would like to achieve. That is the only thing in our mind. The rest, I cannot say anything."

10 goals in 9 games. I'd be worried if Villa were putting up those kinds of numbers. Without Aguero, there's no cutting edge.

Micah Richards made a good point, they lack that fear factor they used to have. Defences would much rather play against Torres, Jesus and Mahrez vs the scary Sane, Aguero and Sterling of recent years.

• 4 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Have I read correctly that Pep has spent 850 million since he went to City 😮 

Last 5 years gross spend:

Man City - £818m 

Chelsea - £657m

Man Utd - £611m

Everton - £537m

Liverpool - £471m

Arsenal - £442m

Edited by ender4
  • Shocked 1

• 2 weeks later...

So that now have ANOTHER game to catch up on. 

I say **** em.  They have a reserve squad more powerful than most teams A team. Make them play 3 times in a week and be done with it. 

Â