Relegation - Merged

Amo69

I've always said that we wont go down, not because we are too good but because enough teams (just) would fail to gain the points to relegate us.

I must admit that my heart's been in my mouth over the last couple of weekends, but it does look that we are odds on to survive. This is probably the best scenario we could have hoped for after a woeful season, because Randy has been forced to confront the full implications of life with AM/PG in charge over the next couple of seasons.

For that reason I expect an announcement a couple of days after this season ends to the effect that AM/PG have left AVFC by mutual consent. If we had done slightly better as a team over the last few matches we would have been facing the prospect of another damaging season under McLeish.

Every cloud has a silver lining. UTV!!!!

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes,I am fairly sure that we will stay up this term.The reason is that the teams below us are really bad ( Blackburn and Bolton ) and QPR have a horror fixture list.Having said that if AM stays then we are in trouble next term right from the start.

Villa are NOT safe, yet!! The only good thing is that I don't expect QPR to take anything at Man City on the last day. Bolton play Spuds tomorrow night and are capable of getting three points. Villa, I think WILL survive, but by the skin of their, er, goal difference. 17th place I reckon.

Yep we need Spuds to be up for it tomorrow night.

Personally I'm fed up the last couple of weeks of being bothered so much about other results, watching & worrying about games not involving Villa on TV and willing teams on who normally I don't like!

As opposed to last season when for the last four games we played some fab football. The players finally took the dressing room by the scruff of the neck and decided they were going to do something about the mess we were in. Arsenal away was one of the most memorable away games ever!

We finished 9th!

To me, Bolton are immaterial. They can finish above us if they want or if they can. It's all about QPR at this stage with Blackburn already out of reach. If they manage to beat Stoke (which isn't foregone) then they need a point at title-chasing Citeh. Won't happen. We're safe albeit not mathematically.

I've always said that we wont go down, not because we are too good but because enough teams (just) would fail to gain the points to relegate us.

I must admit that my heart's been in my mouth over the last couple of weekends, but it does look that we are odds on to survive. This is probably the best scenario we could have hoped for after a woeful season, because Randy has been forced to confront the full implications of life with AM/PG in charge over the next couple of seasons.

For that reason I expect an announcement a couple of days after this season ends to the effect that AM/PG have left AVFC by mutual consent. If we had done slightly better as a team over the last few matches we would have been facing the prospect of another damaging season under McLeish.

Every cloud has a silver lining. UTV!!!!

Completely agree. Had we finished mid table, as we should have done with the players we have, then this could have been written off as a transistional season. If we had finished mid table I reckon there would have been a 50/50 split amongst supporters as to whether or not he should be given more time as opposed to the near 100% who wish to see him gone.

Getting ourselves embroiled in a full scale relegation battle was completely unacceptable and has made the manager's position untenable.

To me, Bolton are immaterial. They can finish above us if they want or if they can. It's all about QPR at this stage with Blackburn already out of reach. If they manage to beat Stoke (which isn't foregone) then they need a point at title-chasing Citeh. Won't happen. We're safe albeit not mathematically.

Yup, that's how I see it. Hopefully Stoke put us at ease going into the Spurs match. Don't want to get heartbroken on the final day if the extraordinary happens.

Don't want to get heartbroken on the final day if the extraordinary happens.

I don't even know how I'd react. On one hand I might need a new telly and crystal vase. On the other I might just spend the week rocking back and forth in the corner biting my clenched fist. Maybe both.

Don't want to get heartbroken on the final day if the extraordinary happens.

I don't even know how I'd react. On one hand I might need a new telly and crystal vase. On the other I might just spend the week rocking back and forth in the corner biting my clenched fist. Maybe both.

Well when Sheffield United were relegated in the last few minutes of the 1993/94 season, my Blades-supporting mate rang me up at full-time and pleaded for company as he drank himself into an anaesthetic stupor.

I have him on standby, just in case.

QPR can stuff Stoke by seven goals for all I care, The Man City game is the clincher. As long as City win, then Stoke game is a non issue. Same with Bolton Spurs. If QPR lose against Stoke though, we're staying up, and they could beat City and it wouldn't save 'em.

QPR can stuff Stoke by seven goals for all I care, The Man City game is the clincher. As long as City win, then Stoke game is a non issue. Same with Bolton Spurs. If QPR lose against Stoke though, we're staying up, and they could beat City and it wouldn't save 'em.

Don't want that you wally, QPR woul pretty much catch up on us on goal difference. :shock:

Stoke are really poor away, lost 12 away games I think and they struggle against pace away from home. Taarabt is back for this and Cisse.

I suppose they could grind out a 0-0 or 1-1, can't see them winning and do think QPR will win.

Stoke are currently drawing with Everton (who themselves are in good form) so to secure a top half finish, they will have to beat QPR, so I think/hope they'll be well up for this game!

Ah yes, the coveted 'top half finish' and all the rewards that come with it. It's hard to say which team has more to play for really.

qpr stuffing stoke by 7, and us losing both our games, would likely relegate us you mentaller

Stoke are currently drawing with Everton (who themselves are in good form) so to secure a top half finish, they will have to beat QPR, so I think/hope they'll be well up for this game!

Ah yes, the coveted 'top half finish' and all the rewards that come with it. It's hard to say which team has more to play for really.

i dont get why people think stoke will be a win for qpr... yet reckon we'll get nothing from norwich