Scottish Independence

maqroll

Absolutely no chance of Scotland being EU members within 18 months of independence, eh? Put your money where you mouth is. What odds will you offer me?

The EU couldn't move that fast even if the will was there, which it isn't. Already Spain and Belgium govts have confirmed they won't be for it, assume France to take the same position for the exact same reasons. Thats three countries already vetoing the idea because they have separatist movements of their own, they won't budge either.

Plus theres no way Scotland could get its financial act together in that time to form its own central bank and accept the euro as a currency. Ten years out of europe minimum I reckon. Take the EU subsidies away and the obvious financial uncertainty at the start of independence and Scotland really could be about to vote itself into oblivion.

• Like 1

Not read through the whole thread so apologies if mentioned before, but what would it mean for universities such as Glasgow and Edinburgh in terms of UCAS applications from UK students?

Wouldn't they miss out on valuable revenue due to being classed as 'overseas' thus not allowing a huge proportion of previously eligible students qualifying for loans and grants?

Also, what about the DVLA, insurance policies, expats with expiring UK passports, tax domicility, international dialing code and mobile numbers, NHS funding.... 

Not read through the whole thread so apologies if mentioned before, but what would it mean for universities such as Glasgow and Edinburgh in terms of UCAS applications from UK students?

Wouldn't they miss out on valuable revenue due to being classed as 'overseas' thus not allowing a huge proportion of previously eligible students qualifying for loans and grants?

Also, what about the DVLA, insurance policies, expats with expiring UK passports, tax domicility, international dialing code and mobile numbers, NHS funding....

Alex Salmond says they don't have to worry about stuff like that, so long as everyone believes hard enough it will all be fine - feel the change!

When Kenny McAskill (SNP) was challenged about the currency on Sky News last night he literally fell back on "we can sort that out after the referendum". I'm sorry but anyone putting their family's future in those hands deserves whatever they get.

• Like 3

Isn't the oil technically a 'UK' asset? And Scotland would be choosing to voluntarily leave the UK. If Scotland don't want the debt, we'll have the oil!

No, I believe when Tony Bliar offered them devolution it created something called 'Scottish waters' which contains the vast majority of our oil. God I'm not looking forward to devo max. I'm not entirely sure what it involves but we English would no doubt be shafted. I really hope they vote yes.

Isn't the oil technically a 'UK' asset? And Scotland would be choosing to voluntarily leave the UK. If Scotland don't want the debt, we'll have the oil!

No, I believe when Tony Bliar offered them devolution it created something called 'Scottish waters' which contains the vast majority of our oil. God I'm not looking forward to devo max. I'm not entirely sure what it involves but we English would no doubt be shafted. I really hope they vote yes.

I think I must be one of the very last people on earth who would seek to defend Blair from anything, up to and including being disembowelled by a horde of drug-crazed unicorns.  But the question of maritime boundaries between states, including newly independent states, relies on a large body of international law and precedent, not a deal carved out in a back room somewhere.

There is room for some debate about the exact boundaries between Scottish and rUK waters, but it's marginal.  The vast majority of the oil is in Scottish waters.

• Like 2

Its not like Scotland will have a navy to defend those waters...

Are you suggesting that we're the kind of country that would invade sovereign territory for oil? :o:)

We wouldn't have to take sun-block with us this time. They can paint themselves blue and throw rocks at us from the shore if they like?

I have read on the BBC today that Scotland's plan for defence involves the Royal Navy giving them a couple of Type 23 frigates and a squadron of Typhoons, together with enough kit to stock a couple of regiments.

Why would the UK hand them free kit?

In the event of a Yes vote I would be billing Scotland to relocate the nuclear deterrent and also billing them for the cost of defending their waters and air-space.

Edited by Ads

Are you suggesting that we're the kind of country that would invade sovereign territory for oil? :o:)

Of course not! But we might support the good folk of Shetland and Orkney should they wish to exercise the same right to self determination as their mainland cousins. If those Islands wished to remain part of the UK then Edinburgh would be total hypocrites to object.

Coincidentally a large amount of the black stuff lies beneath their territorial waters.

Let's call it plan B.

• Like 4

Of course not! But we might support the good folk of Shetland and Orkney should they wish to exercise the same right to self determination as their mainland cousins. If those Islands wished to remain part of the UK then Edinburgh would be total hypocrites to object.

Coincidentally a large amount of the black stuff lies beneath their territorial waters.

Let's call it plan B.

According to the Telegraph a petition was delivered to Holyrood in April, demanding a vote on whether they want to remain part of Scotland, become independent, or become part of the UK if the Scots vote 'Yes'.

• Like 1

Let's call it plan B.

According to the Telegraph a petition was delivered to Holyrood in April, demanding a vote on whether they want to remain part of Scotland, become independent, or become part of the UK if the Scots vote 'Yes'.

Yep, I believe the SNP response was something like 'git tae f**k, we own youse and it ALL ours! MUHAHAHAHA!!!' Democrats to the core that lot, but as others have pointed out they couldn't physically do anything about it if the Islanders tell them the same in the future.

Much mirth to be had in that event as Salmond stands stunned, jaw hanging slacker than an overweight Grouper as the truth finally dawns on the circling clan of angry Neds.

I work with a few Scottish business' and they are absolutely shitting bricks now that as yes vote might actually happen.

One pretty sizeable business said they are now making relocation plans and looking for premises in the North of England just in case. The MD is a proud Scotsman and he said there is no way he is staying up there with 'the loonies' if it happens.

Fair play to Salmond and his merry band of mentalists, they have made a lot of noise and done a great 'BNP/UKIP' type job of stirring up the nationalists, the ignorant and the uneducated - but ultimately there a too many sensible people for a yes to actually happen IMO.

We wouldn't have to take sun-block with us this time. They can paint themselves blue and throw rocks at us from the shore if they like?

I have read on the BBC today that Scotland's plan for defence involves the Royal Navy giving them a couple of Type 23 frigates and a squadron of Typhoons, together with enough kit to stock a couple of regiments.

Why would the UK hand them free kit?

In the event of a Yes vote I would be billing Scotland to relocate the nuclear deterrent and also billing them for the cost of defending their waters and air-space.

Hmmm so on the one hand they are trying to argue that they can keep the pound regardless of what we say but then if we don't let them they will default on their proportion of the UK debt. They will then, despite this default magically join the EU despite the opposition of at least 3 member states and if anyone tries to bully them they will defend themselves with the armed forces we give them out of the UK's assets despite them defaulting on the debt.

There are more holes in the yes campaign than in Ranger's bank accounts.

So reading all the comments above, and seeing the opinion polls, and seeing the clear logic of the arguments on debt and money and EU membership.......

...how would you rate the quality of the 'better together' campaign?

So reading all the comments above, and seeing the opinion polls, and seeing the clear logic of the arguments on debt and money and EU membership.......

The ''Better Together '' campaign has been woeful , but then it was only 2 months ago it was clearly winning. Salmond convincing people he can keep the £  and that the UK will destroy the NHS 

has gained them votes.Brow gave a good speech yesterday decrying the NHS issue but could all be too little too late.

This is going to ruin scotland if they vote yes to independence in my opinion

Disagree... it will ruin the UK.

Dire. Sadly due to several decades of political correctness that effectively made it "cool" to run down the British identity, when the time has come to speak up for it the politicians are flummoxed and can't make a positive case - resorting to 'worse apart' not better together.

You reap what you so.

EDIT: sow!

Edited by Awol

Â