Scottish Independence

maqroll

Apparently there is a new poll out tonight that will cause a sensation ..can only mean the Yes campaign has taken a major lead.

Where did you read/hear that?

probably reading Saturdays newspaper  that someone left on a train  :)

Apparently there is a new poll out tonight that will cause a sensation ..can only mean the Yes campaign has taken a major lead.

@ian_a_jones: The new TNS poll on Scottish independence is a sensation. It's embargoed until midnight, but I doubt the media will wait that long.
  • Like 1

On the contrary, it's enormous. Look at the effort Germany has expended in the Eurozone trying to ensure that no members default on their debts. Then consider, using your example, whether anybody in the Federal Reserve could give the faintest toss what Ecuador does with its debts. 

The point is not that an independent Scotland couldn't use the pound. Obviously, they could. The point is that having spent decades complaining that London doesn't consider Scotland when making policy decisions, the Nationalists have turned round and proposed a currency solution that would involve London absolutely definitely never considering Scotland when making macroeconomic policy decisions. 

It's also worth reminding people that this was nobody's preferred option, that the Nats initially wanted an independent currency, until they realised it didn't poll well, and subsequently wanted to join the Euro, until that turned into a disaster. We're on at least Plan D at this point. 

Good points, and you're right it is a big difference, but it's not as big as people are making it out to be. People (I don't mean you here, I mean people in general) often associated money (i.e. currency) with the economy (i.e. what's actually produced). So when there's talk of a break with the pound, people think it'd collapse the economy. It wouldn't.

I agree that Scotland would lose some monetary policy influence. For that, it's gaining fiscal policy influence. And it's fiscal policy where Scotland and London really disagree, so focusing on the pound/monetary policy question is making a mountain out of a molehill. I think it's London (successfully) scaremongering.

(Also, imho, looking 50 years down the line, I suspect that even the UK will be using the euro!)

Are they allowed to offer a new deal despite thousands of (postal) votes already coming in?

this just had a very brief mention on the news, potentially a hundred thousand people have already voted, and the NO campaign just changed their offer

changed it to something the SNP wanted on the ballot paper all along - once again, it's the London based No campaign that blinked first, if the NO campaign ever wanted to make it look like there was a positive momentum towards YES then they couldn't have come up with a better way of doing it

shambolic

• Like 1

Are they allowed to offer a new deal despite thousands of (postal) votes already coming in?

this just had a very brief mention on the news, potentially a hundred thousand people have already voted, and the NO campaign just changed their offer

changed it to something the SNP wanted on the ballot paper all along - once again, it's the London based No campaign that blinked first, if the NO campaign ever wanted to make it look like there was a positive momentum towards YES then they couldn't have come up with a better way of doing it

shambolic

The wording of the Question 

The allowing of reduction of voting age 

Shambolic from the start 

I don't want the union to end but it does seem somewhat of an issue when the UK Government are having to reply on mps from the former government of 4 years ago to Head a Campaign because going themselves is seen as counter productive.

@ian_a_jones: The new TNS poll on Scottish independence is a sensation. It's embargoed until midnight, but I doubt the media will wait that long.

Ian Jones @ian_a_jones 58m

Nobody seems to be respecting the midnight embargo, so here's that TNS poll: a remarkable 41% Yes-41% No tie among those certain to vote.

Somewhat less than sensational.  I don't think the earth moved for me, darling.

It's remarkable to see the gap tighten up so quickly, could it really all be attributed to the second national TV debate? You'd still expect that if the 'Don't Knows' are reluctant to vote Yes now, then they'll break in favour of the NO side given today's well-timed push of the Devo Max proposals. 

shambolic

It's a difficult one, of course you want to maintain control over the media narrative but when things are seeming to start slipping through your fingers it's natural to try another grip. I bet there's some really horrible sleepless nights amongst Better Together right now. It's sad - I want a NO vote - but it's also exciting as well. 

Ian Jones ‏@ian_a_jones 58m

Nobody seems to be respecting the midnight embargo, so here's that TNS poll: a remarkable 41% Yes-41% No tie among those certain to vote.

Somewhat less than sensational.  I don't think the earth moved for me, darling.

To be fair, if their previous poll showed a 17 point NO lead, then a 17 point swing is pretty sensational. More importantly, it shows the YouGov poll everyone's been talking about isn't an outlier, and that there really has been a massive swing in favour of YES. The question now is whether it's quite enough to carry the day.  

I agree, I think the last minute efforts by BT will swing the undecided voters to vote No. We'll be seeing a lot of shenanigans and scare tactics between now and voting day as the establishment tries to reign in those pesky Scots.

Some good old fashioned dirty tricks should do the job here. A 'Raised Terror Alert' here, an Alex Salmond sex tape there, should be enough to convince the Scottish public they're better together. Of course, it's not as if the British establishment would ever stoop to such levels, oh no.  :detect:

I agree, I think the last minute efforts by BT will swing the undecided voters to vote No. We'll be seeing a lot of shenanigans and scare tactics between now and voting day as the establishment tries to reign in those pesky Scots.

Some good old fashioned dirty tricks should do the job here. A 'Raised Terror Alert' here, an Alex Salmond sex tape there, should be enough to convince the Scottish public they're better together. Of course, it's not as if the British establishment would ever stoop to such levels, oh no.  :detect:

Front pages of Newspapers showing a crumbling £ and Billions wiped of the value of Scotish based companies may do the trick too.

If they votes Yes, how long do you think it would be before they come Tam o' Shanter in hand begging to be let back in?

When Salmond realizes that a independent Scotland is financially doomed. So not long.

Â