Scottish Independence

maqroll

hey no need to apologise   , it was a light hearted observation not a serious concern

I don't think the Tories have ever suggested they want an independent Scotland  ..and the myth that they would romp every GE without them has already been debunked   .... so there is nothing to really suggest it's a deliberate ploy

I suspect that having the Tory party do nothing \ very little was thought to be the best idea  .. alas I'm not sure that Darling was exactly a smart move either  ..

In the similar way that according to Newspapers we'd wake up to find Nick Clegg PM back in May 2010 , I suspect the actual result will be nowhere near as close as people think  ... and whatever the voting intention today , when they step in that booth nobody will really fancy the idea of King Alex

• Like 1

Yep, I think it'll be the wimmin of Scotland that will get into the voting booth, get the little pencil in their hand and suddenly think, stick to what you know.

As much as the romance of a great new adventure is appealing, people have mundane plans and responsibilities that need to be funded.

That's my prediction, and that's from somebody that would probably vote yes* on the hard facts I've seen so far.

* I don't have a vote and haven't given it that deep late night single malt thorcus you give to big decisions.

Yep, I think it'll be the wimmin of Scotland that will get into the voting booth, get the little pencil in their hand and suddenly think, stick to what you know.

...Support for Yes has increased rather more amongst women and less well off voters and barely at all amongst older ones. The swing amongst women (once Don’t Knows are excluded is 11 points while amongst men it is only five...

http://blog.whatscotlandthinks.org/2014/09/tns-now-say-it-is-a-dead-heat/

yes I know that about the demographics, but I think my totally unscientific point still stands, once in that little booth...

interestingly (well, maybe not), of the 4 people I know from here that have travelled up to help out with the YES campaign, one is male, three are female

My message to the Scottish people is simple: we want you to stay.

As the United Kingdom, we have punched above our weight for centuries - and we've done so together.

When the world wanted representation, we gave them democracy. When they wanted progress, we had the Scottish enlightenment and the industrial revolution.

When slavery bound innocent people, we abolished it; when fascism threatened freedom, we defeated it.

As individuals and as nations, we have done extraordinary things. This is the special alchemy of the UK - you mix together Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland and together we smash expectations.

The UK is a special and precious country. So let no one in Scotland be in any doubt: we desperately want you to stay; we do not want this family of nations to be ripped apart.

Across England, Northern Ireland and Wales, our fear over what we stand to lose is matched only by our passion for what can be achieved if we stay together.

So please, if you don't have a vote in this referendum, join me in signing a letter to everyone who does, letting them know that we passionately want them to stay.

If we pull together, we can keep on building a better future for our children. We can make sure our destiny matches our history, because there really will be no second chances. If the UK breaks apart, it breaks apart forever.

So if you have a vote, please choose a brighter future for Scotland by voting No.

And if you don't have a vote, please sign this letter to the voters of Scotland, expressing our heartfelt desire to keep our proud family of nations together.

Thanks,

David Cameron

I think I would actually be devastated if Scotland vote yes.  Maybe it's because I've worked with our loyal armed forces for many years now (Welsh, Scottish, English and N.Irish alike), maybe because I think the Scottish enrich our culture or maybe it's because I don't want the UK to be split up.  We will lose our identity and the proud history that goes with it. 

(I'm the sort of bloke who watches the Edinburgh Tattoo thinking I'm bloody proud that we're apart of it). 

• Like 2

O.M.G.

I'll save it for someone with a penchant for longer posts to rip that shite apart.

A few pages ago I mentioned that the no campaign had struggled because the UK was talked down so much by its own.

Your post is a pretty spot on illustration of what I meant.

edit: yes..no...maybe!

Edited by Awol

i thought this was the Jockland Independence thread ... I appear to have wandered into the bash a tory thread instead  .... I'm just waiting for the inevitable " it's all Thatchers fault"  post .......

well, funny you should say that...

there was some chap on radio 4 yesterday evening with that very theory, well back a little further actually

his theory went:

Heath was minded to compromise with the Miners back in the early 70's but lost the election (by a critically low number whereby Scotland had a direct influence on the outcome).

Heath losing meant Wilson and then Callaghan got in, the mid 1970's happened and as a backlash Thatcher got voted in.

Thatcher then set about her terrible revenge on the workers, gleefully destroying communities across Scotland. As a result, the Scots woke up to the need for devolution to save themselves from the worst excesses of tory spite and self interest.

From there, they realised that just possibly, they were better off with Scottish idiots running Scotland from Scotland, rather than English and Scottish idiots running Scotland from London.

OTOH, a plausible case can be made that the SNP put Thatcher into power

What Mr Crawford and his press officer choose to forget, or hope that no one will recall, is that it was the 11-strong SNP group in the Commons in 1979 that first tabled the no confidence motion in

Jim Callaghan's Labour government which led to its defeat in that memorable debate three weeks after the devolution referendum.

Margaret Thatcher couldn't be sure of beating Callaghan until she saw that the Nats were on her side and once they had shown their hand, she then tabled her own no confidence motion, which, as leader of the main opposition party, took precedence over that of the SNP. She won by only one vote, with all the Nat MPs voting with her – "turkeys voting for an early Christmas", said not-so Sunny Jim.

In accusing the Unionist parties of peddling fictions about what an independent Scotland might look like it is a barefaced cheek that the SNP should maintain the biggest fiction of all – that they had nothing to do with the rise and rise of Margaret Thatcher.

• Like 1

Â