Internet Nostalgia

tonyh29

On 09/10/2016 at 18:29, Xela said:

All this talk of 'questionable' music downloads has made me dig out my old black and white screened iPod. Its full of music that I downloaded from Limewire. 

When I still had a cassette player in my car I had a genius idea of inventing an mp3 player which could could put in your tape deck and play like a cassette. I was going to be millionaire. Problem is when I did some research it already existed. Aagghhh. Good news though is I did buy one and it served me brilliantly for a few years till I got a car with a CD player. 

That said before I bought my first MP3 player I made an error. I had been on a stag doo and everyone was laughing at me because I still had a cassette Walkman,  but I never saw the attraction in portable CD players which were huge. 

Decided I had to do something so I did some research. . MP3 players were brand new and cost a fortune from unknown brands and held very little memory. 

So instead I plumped for a minidisc player instead. Oh yes people I went all the way down the Betamax route. 

21 minutes ago, Xela said:

My car still has a cassette deck. Its a Dolby one :blush:

Old skool. 

My CD player car I bought brand new in 2010. The CD player broke about a month after the warranty expired. Unlike a cassette player you can't insert a tape shape MP3 player or one of those cassette leads. Modern tech is rubbish! 

Anyhoo I still have the car and basically only listen to the radio or if I am on a rare long journey in it I hook my ipod up to an FM transmitter but it's such a load of hassle. 

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Yup my car also has the original spec cassette deck, and 6 cd changer. I put one of those mp3/cassette adapters into the slot and use my phone if I'm not using the CD player.

**** paying hundreds of quid for an updated radio, the cassette adaptor was about a fiver.

Slightly more recent than most things mentioned but remember my mate being really really stoned, transfixed watching this and sniggering every time the snake came up. He was watching it for ages, well it seemed like it I was likely a bit stoned too.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

Slightly more recent than most things mentioned but remember my mate being really really stoned, transfixed watching this and sniggering every time the snake came up. He was watching it for ages, well it seemed like it I was likely a bit stoned too.

They did a special one right before the Euros or WC where the badgers were wearing England kits.  Weebl and Bob was great, and I always liked the Kenya one they did:

• Like 2

21 hours ago, RunRickyRun said:

I remember been told about this new search engine called google and how it sorted search results by the most linked (and therefore popular) pages. That was the last time I used Yahoo.

Yahoo seems to be on a constant path to self destruction, yet somehow manages to survive. The cockroach of the web!

On 11 October 2016 at 20:14, Xela said:

How is Yahoo still around?

Appears to have been struggling for ever.

I saw an article a little while ago listing some of the enormous offers they had turned down from people like Microsoft and maybe Apple and Google and they're currently now only worth a fraction of it.

As good a place as any, but in the days of on line chat, while trying to get my end away. I'd exchanged numbers with a girl and was close to arranging to meet. Then I had a voicemail from this girls Mum saying her daughter hadn't come home and was missing. Later on I plucked up the courage to ring back but it rang out, no idea what I would have said and didn't try again. I didn't hear anything again from the girl/Mum/Police so I presume she turned up safe and sound, shat myself for a while. 

On 10/10/2016 at 19:51, Xela said:

I am searching for a cassette deck for one of my cars to restore it to full originality. Seen the original deck pop up on eBay - they are not cheap and I keep losing the auctions. I could strangle one of the previous owners who upgraded to this brilliant Sony "thing" that effortlessly plays music. I even have an original exhaust back box in the garage.  

Â