Internet Nostalgia

tonyh29

I used to spend hours on MSN Messenger every day chatting to people all over the world that I became 'friends' with via message boards and groups. I have said before but the internet seemed friendlier back then. People tended to be a lot more genuine and open with each other. I guess there was no ego boosting or attention whoring sites like Instagram and Snapchat then

I met quite a few people off there and the early forums and stayed friends with them for years. As you get older you just lose touch wth more people don't you. Everyone switches to Facebook and suddenly you become just a memory or someone you used to know. 

I think all the big messengers have shut down now.. the like of AIM, ICQ, MSN and Yahoo. Its all mobile now but chats are never as detailed or wacky as they used to be, such is the nature of mobile devices. 

Halcyon days. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sidcow said:

Am I hot or not? 

Jennicam 

I remember one of the features of Hot or Not was "meet me". You basically got shown photos of other users and had to click yes or no to whether you wanted to meet them. If you both clicked yes then you matched and could chat.

Given the value of Tinder, the developer of Hot or Not must want to kill himself!!

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

This resurrected thread is itself already nostalgic. 

I still find it interesting to think that many (most?) contributors to this thread never knew a world without some form of internet access. Whereas I grew up in an era where it simply didn't exist. No web, no net, no home computers, no mobile phones, no video. Even I find it hard to imagine what that was like, now. But it was completely normal. 

First internet access was when I was doing my MSc in the early 90s, on a green screen mainframe terminal. We logged on remotely to a University in Australia, and simply saw a list of files. I was utterly amazed. Then, email (and the Villa mailing list!) 

But the real gee-whizz was irc. Chatting to random people in other countries (mainly the US) - something I now do daily, on FB, VT, etc. And I think the first actual website I saw (apart from our work one) was Christian Jahnsen's Villa page. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, mjmooney said:

This resurrected thread is itself already nostalgic. 

I still find it interesting to think that many (most?) contributors to this thread never knew a world without some form of internet access. Whereas I grew up in an era where it simply didn't exist. No web, no net, no home computers, no mobile phones, no video. Even I find it hard to imagine what that was like, now. But it was completely normal. 

I was 18 when i first went 'online'. I'm glad I'm never had it as a kid. 

Saying that, the early days of the internet for me were magical. I think it was the excitement of it all, the ability to chat to people all over the UK, or further afield. 

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I was 18 when i first went 'online'. I'm glad I'm never had it as a kid. 

Saying that, the early days of the internet for me were magical. I think it was the excitement of it all, the ability to chat to people all over the UK, or further afield. 

I agree and disagree.

I was online when I was about 11, on our dial up mode, playing rudimentary text based games in a web browser , and talking shit on IRC.

My parents had no **** clue what an internet was other than checking their Yahoo email, most IRL friends had nothing to do with it. It was the wild west, there were no rules, nobody really knew what this new thing was for other than buying books and stealing music. It was a bloody brilliant few years. It was also the golden age of parents not really realising that games weren't all for kids anymore. Or maybe it was just my mum.

These days though, with a day of mainstream internet, Insta, snapchat and it providing a way for kids to bully each other from home? Yeah, my kid will be nowhere near it.

Edited by Davkaus

Anyone remember, a year or 2 before Dancing Baby a couple of similar things went round which were similar. One was a goldfish in a bowl you could torture by zapping it, liquidising it ete and a farmer looking for his dog which was being dragged behind his tractor. Again you could hit various buttons to do unpleasant things to host dog? 

13 hours ago, sidcow said:

Anyone remember, a year or 2 before Dancing Baby a couple of similar things went round which were similar. One was a goldfish in a bowl you could torture by zapping it, liquidising it ete and a farmer looking for his dog which was being dragged behind his tractor. Again you could hit various buttons to do unpleasant things to host dog? 

Sounds like the ramblings of a madman :P 

• Like 1

Â