Internet Nostalgia

tonyh29

On 20/03/2024 at 11:03, Designer1 said:

spacer.png

Dark, dark times. 

I can remember leaving the PC on all night so I could download 3 songs, and my parents wouldn't be kicking me off the Internet to use the phone. 

1 hour ago, Rob182 said:

Joecartoon ?

I remember getting a dvd of those clips in the clearance bucket at merry hill HMV 10+ years ago. I reckon I still have it too.

The website is still there, but it’s just videos as opposed to actually being able to interact with it https://joecartoon.com

Looks like the kind of thing although the particular ones I remember are not on that website

A few mentions

AOL Online free trial

Gamecopyworld

Kazaa/Napster

IGN 

Yahoo Launch

On 01/06/2023 at 21:58, sidcow said:

Tiny Computers 

My first PC was a Tiny PC. Including desk, scanner, printer, speakers - the whole shebang. The joy in setting it up and trying to burn CDs with Nero burning rom and playing pinball. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, omariqy said:

My first PC was a Tiny PC. Including desk, scanner, printer, speakers - the whole shebang. The joy in setting it up and trying to burn CDs with Nero burning rom and playing pinball. 

Still think Nero is one of the most clever/appropriately named products to have ever existed XD

Does anyone remember an internet game in the early 00's where you owned a fleet of starships that you'd then send into battle against other starships in order to try and capture the opponents fleet? From memory it was all done in real time too so you'd have to wait 12 hours or so until you knew whether you'd lost most of your fleet or won the battle!

7 minutes ago, jones1328 said:

Does anyone remember an internet game in the early 00's where you owned a fleet of starships that you'd then send into battle against other starships in order to try and capture the opponents fleet? From memory it was all done in real time too so you'd have to wait 12 hours or so until you knew whether you'd lost most of your fleet or won the battle!

Oh could it have been this one? TradeWars.

https://wiki.classictw.com/index.php?title=Jumpgate

5 hours ago, omariqy said:

Sort of internet related but does anyone remember Macromedia Dreamweaver? Embarrisngly I made website for our friendship group in sixth form. Think it was hosted on Geocities maybe. Great times. 

I bloody loved Dreamweaver. I wonder how many hours as a youth I spent playing CM2 and designing things on Dreamweaver. And look at me now, single and childless at 40, but still playing FM and working in coding, so who really won? Oh, okay. 

6 hours ago, jones1328 said:

I think you mean Planetarion. I used to play this in college alot with friends.

On 12/04/2024 at 08:58, villarule123 said:

Dark, dark times. 

I can remember leaving the PC on all night so I could download 3 songs, and my parents wouldn't be kicking me off the Internet to use the phone. 

Staying up to 4am in order to download the Katie Price or latest celebrity sex tape just so you can toss one off over it. Just me then..

• Haha 3

On 12/04/2024 at 12:31, omariqy said:

Sort of internet related but does anyone remember Macromedia Dreamweaver? Embarrisngly I made website for our friendship group in sixth form. Think it was hosted on Geocities maybe. Great times. 

I put together a broking website using Dreamweaver back in the day. I had no knowledge of website building and had to teach myself as I went. My company ran that site for about 5 years, I think. It only died a death when I left and nobody had a clue how it worked. To be fair, neither did I!

4 hours ago, choffer said:

I put together a broking website using Dreamweaver back in the day. I had no knowledge of website building and had to teach myself as I went. My company ran that site for about 5 years, I think. It only died a death when I left and nobody had a clue how it worked. To be fair, neither did I!

Is broking when it's broken yet somehow working at the same time? Might have to start using that term lol.

Â