Things you've never 'got'...

wiggyrichard

The thing is, someone like me who actually 'gets' Zappa (to the extent that he let's us get him anyway) just couldn't get anywhere with TMR. I've tried and tried but as the thread title suggests 'I just don't get it'.

I personally love Trout Mask Replica. It's not consistently good throughout the record, and of course it has its pretentions, but it is just so uncompromising. It's quite disturbing in parts, but then it's also funny in others and I just get the feeling that all of the band were at their most driven and intense point on that record. I think even if you don't particularly like the results you've got to at least admire what artists like Beefheart or The Velvet Underground were trying to do in the late sixties. I'd rather see a band fail at something like Trout than succeed at some bland pop fodder which was created solely to make money with no other goals.

It definitely has an atmosphere about it, and there are some properly great songs on there in my opinion. Having said that, I find it more understandbale that you should dislike Trout than those who have said cars, The Office or thongs.

people who take babies to villa games. Ive seen it a few times, they'll hate the noise, the cold and will ruin your enjoyment of the day.

Yeah Ive never understood that. I think it's desperation to take their kids and make sure they turn into villa fans, I think I'd be the same :)

That toilet paper advert that promises to replant trees for every however many rolls you buy then they plant a small tree in the ground. What's the point, they are just moving a tree from one place to antoher, what good is that doing?

That toilet paper advert that promises to replant trees for every however many rolls you buy then they plant a small tree in the ground. What's the point, they are just moving a tree from one place to antoher, what good is that doing?

You use one tree up to make toilet paper. You plant another. Net use of trees = 0. What's to not get?

There's a lot of things mentioned in here that I don't like but I get .. but some definite things I just don't get are.

Metal and that type of music. What!? Why would anyone want to listen to someone screaming at the top of their voice. I don't get what mood it puts you in? I don't get how people can like the sound? What do people get from it? like relax you? makes you happy?

To be honest, same with jungle/dubstep etc .. as well. Just why?

Cars was nearly another one but I think I understand why people may enjoy both taking care of it, improving it and driving.

Beer/Lager .. The taste, I geniunally can't drink more than sips at a time. I'm pretty sure no one likes Vodka but people drink it to get quickly pissed which therefore makes it understandable but like people actually enjoy the taste and relax by drinking it at home. Also the same with wine. don't get it, the taste is just that bad.

Getting hammered on Christmas Eve. Why would you want to be hungover on Christmas Day?

I'm not going out this year but I think at this age, Christmas ain't a big deal really is it?! open presents and have a dinner, apart from that, don't do much. I guess if you've got a big family gathering and it's going to be a long day then probably not great idea but most people I know don't get up until like 11-12 on Christmas anyway ...plus it's usually one of the best nights out.

Oh and 2. I don't get hangovers. :hooray:

Â