Things you've never 'got'...

wiggyrichard

Football related, I dont get why fans leave like 10 minutes early when the game is at 2-1 or 1-0?

To beat the traffic, I've always presumed

I alwasy stay til the whistle and I've never had much of a traffic problem getting away. Maybe those people have never stayed ti the end and they just assume traffic will be bad.

Dickens. Best novelist in the English language, according to many. Can't see it. And can never get past the first couple of chapters of any of his trite, ludicrous, sentimental, tedious books.

Women ;)

Men are way more difficult to get ! I agree women are complex but you guys are too ! 

Pah we are simple in comparison.

Not a chance sunshine ! You are a difficult species that I will never quite get !

Dickens. Best novelist in the English language, according to many. Can't see it. And can never get past the first couple of chapters of any of his trite, ludicrous, sentimental, tedious books.

I've only read Oliver Twist but I thought that one was awesome. One of my favourite books. Thought it would be dull but was pleasantly surprised. Must be 20 years since I read that one. Time flies.

I've only read Oliver Twist but I thought that one was awesome. One of my favourite books. Thought it would be dull but was pleasantly surprised. Must be 20 years since I read that one. Time flies.

Yep, that's what people have told me many times. I couldn't get through it.

I think it's possibly because everything is so totally stereotyped, there is never one iota of subtlety or ambiguity. And the names. Take Great Expectations. "Phillip Pirrip" is bad enough, but couldn't his (two-dimensional, again) wicked uncle be called "Arkwright", or "Roberts", or "Montgomery"? Hell no, he has to be "Mister Pumblechook", ferfuxsake. And we are expected to take this stuff seriously?

TBH, a lot of my distaste may stem from my schooldays, when the depression of a drab British Sunday evening was invariably topped off with a B&W BBC TV "classic serial", more often than not Dickens. That snivelling wretch Oliver Twist (stupid name, AGAIN), offensive Semitic stereotype Fagin, the Artful **** Dodger... Jeez, it made me want to slit my wrists.

The Jeffrey Archer of his day, if you ask me.

Yep, that's what people have told me many times. I couldn't get through it.

I think it's possibly because everything is so totally stereotyped, there is never one iota of subtlety or ambiguity. And the names. Take Great Expectations. "Phillip Pirrip" is bad enough, but couldn't his (two-dimensional, again) wicked uncle be called "Arkwright", or "Roberts", or "Montgomery"? Hell no, he has to be "Mister Pumblechook", ferfuxsake. And we are expected to take this stuff seriously?

TBH, a lot of my distaste may stem from my schooldays, when the depression of a drab British Sunday evening was invariably topped off with a B&W BBC TV "classic serial", more often than not Dickens. That snivelling wretch Oliver Twist (stupid name, AGAIN), offensive Semitic stereotype Fagin, the Artful **** Dodger... Jeez, it made me want to slit my wrists.

The Jeffrey Archer of his day, if you ask me.

I guess those things means more to an englishman than to a swede, especially a teenage swede. :) Never really thought about the names or stereotypes, but I can see what you mean.

And it should be taken in context when those books were written. Probably says as much about that time as it says about Dickens himself.

Why some people feel the need to be the best at absolutely everything they do, even if it doesn't have anything to do with them.

If you're not going to aim to be the best at something, why bother doing it?

That's the problem with people today, all too quick to settle for mediocre!

Â