Most overrated player in football history?

Guest av1

Has everything you need in a top LB. Pace, works hard to get forward and back to defend. Rarely ever dives in and makes his man try and beat him. His strength isn't exactly special, but in terms of full backs he is pretty strong.

Doesn't surprise me at all that both Ronaldo and Messi have really struggled to get the better of him when playing Chelsea.

Agreed.

Has everything you need in a top LB. Pace, works hard top flightto get forward and back to defend. Rarely ever dives in and makes his man try and beat him. His strength isn't exactly special, but in terms of full backs he is pretty strong.

Doesn't surprise me at all that both Ronaldo and Messi have really struggled to get the better of him when playing Chelsea.

That first paragraph does not describe one of the best players in the world. A bit of pace and a work ethic are mandatory requirements for a top flight full back. And to say he rarely dives in is akin to saying bears rarely shit in the woods...

When he has a focus, a proper winger to compete against, he does tend to do well. But when he's required to be a regular full back and defend that area of the pitch he's very run of the mill. His general positioning and decision making are very poor.

If he's one of the best players in the world why does he never cover at centre half or occasionally play in midfield like some other great players?

Here's a few more Joey55, Paul Strewart, Gary Mabbutt, Gary Stevens, Nick Barmby, all hyped up by the media

Paul Stewart was considered a flop during his time at Spurs by the fans and the media. Gary Stevens got a much press hype as the likes of David Unsworth or Stephen Warnock. in other words he was a decnt enoguh RB, got a few caps, but nothing to get excited about, hence no real hype. Are you sure you aren't just finding random palyers to list. I really doubt anyone else interested in football remembers the Gary Stevens hype (mainly because it didn't happen.)

Mabbutt again wasn't hyped and if anything should be listed in a thread of underrated players.

Barmby did get hype and lived up to it during his time at Spurs. He was never hyped up like Joe Cole or Wayne Rooney, but spoken as a future England player from a young age.

I don't actually object to you mentioning the likes of Barmby and Mabbutt though, as there were plenty of people who rated them. If you disagree with their opinions then I'm not going to tell you are wrong, as people will always have differing opinions. But the other players you have listed are just random players who played for Spurs and weren't rated or hyped by at all really.

Simple: Andy Carroll for £35m.

I read a Liverpool forum and some guy tried to justify it "No doubt in my mind Carroll will score more than 13 goals in the Premier League in some year".

In SOME year? Christ they are deluded aint they? For £35m I'd expect him to wave his dong after scoring.

The most obvious one at Spurs to me is Thuddlestone.

Yeah o.k he hits a couple of nice 50 yard balls during the game but he'll never be top class simply because he's too immobile.

Who rates him?

In my opinion he' massively under rated and is one of our key players, but most people disagree with that. He's hardly a name the media or football fans harp on about. He's usually spoken of as a player who is too immobile, as you've just said.

This thread is basically people just listing players they don't rate. Most players are going to be rated by some and not by others. But to be worthy of a mention in this thread, surely the player has to be highly rated by the majority of football fans and the media.

In my opinion Michael Essien has always been vaslty overrated. I doubt many would agree with me, but there is no doubt he's been very highly rated over the years by the media and fans alike. I was never crazy about Makelele either, but he was pretty much universally rated.

In my opinion Michael Essien has always been vaslty overrated. I doubt many would agree with me, but there is no doubt he's been very highly rated over the years by the media and fans alike. I was never crazy about Makelele either, but he was pretty much universally rated.

Depends on your point of view. I personally don't think you have to be eye catching or creative to be a great player, and in my view Essien (before his two knee injuries) and Makelele were great players.

Depends on your point of view. I personally don't think you have to be eye catching or creative to be a great player, and in my view Essien (before his two knee injuries) and Makelele were great players.

I think most would agree with you, which is why I mentioned them. This thread started off with the likes of Zlatan being mentioned has ended up with the likes of Gary Stevens. Zlatan is one of the most revered and talked about strikers of the last decade, whilst Gary Stevens was a half decent defender, that very few people bothered to pass opinion on, due to his relative insignificance.

Joey, I'm interested in your timing as a spuds fan of visiting VT

Is it just so you can come back and gloat after 10pm tomorrow

What do spuds fans make of Villa ?

I never gloated after our previous games and was a member then.

Don't know what our fans in general think of Villa, but I'd say my opinion is pretty similar to that of your own fans, only I'd probably be even more negative, as I even disagree with most of what you view as the current positives elements of the club, with the acception of Agbonlahor, who I think is a real asset.

If he's one of the best players in the world why does he never cover at centre half or occasionally play in midfield like some other great players?

Why doesn't Xavi fill in at centre half, or Iniesta? Are they not World class. What a ridiculous comment.

He could easily play wide left, but I imagine he's never been asked because taking the best left back away from left back is a stupid idea.

Â