Xbox One

hogso

I felt that with the PS3,  I didn't have the problem with the PS2 or PS1 controller which were the same but it's either that I was easily pleased back then or the Xbox 360 pad changed my expectations. 

The PS4 pad is lovely though.  Turns out (for me at least) that the problem with the PS3 thumbsticks wasn't the fact that they were at the same level but it was the distance between them that caused the discomfort.  Sony moved them an inch or two further apart on the DualShock 4 and it made all the difference, the gap between them is pretty much the same as it is on Xbox and as a result the pad is probably my favourite controller of all time.  

I've no problem with the PS4 pad apart from that thing I mentioned above. Maybe I have weird thumbs, but for me the stick is just too far down. If they swapped the left stick with the D Pad it would be perfect. The stick should be above your thumb so that if your pushing forward with your thumb, then the stick is pushing forward. 

As it is your thumb points at like 2 o'clock on the stick.

I don't know what it is with the PS4 controller, but it really makes my hands "cramp up" after a few hours use. When I was playing through Last Of Us, I could only play for about 2 hours at a time due to pain. Whereas with the Xbox pad I get none of that. I don't know if my hands are just well adjusted to Xbox pads? (I never owned a PS2 or PS3). I dunno, it's just weird and I've not heard anyone else mention it so it must be unique to me.

• 6 months later...

Soooo it seems MS are making all of their exclusive games available on PC now too. Which is excellent news I think. Especially if they introduce Cross-play with Xbox users, not sure they will though. Think it's a good step for gaming overall. 

If you buy Quantum Break on Xbone you get to it for PC too. 

Edited by PieFacE

14 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Soooo it seems MS are making all of their exclusive games available on PC now too. Which is excellent news I think. Especially if they introduce Cross-play with Xbox users, not sure they will though. Think it's a good step for gaming overall. 

As you don't include a link, I'll have to ask. Do you mean PC, or do you mean Windows?

28 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Wanna go halves? :P

• Like 1

17 hours ago, villarule123 said:

Wanna go halves? :P

Ha there's a very good chance I may do mate!  Guessing you're a PC guy?  

I'm gunna guess that the PC version would be locked to my XBL account though :(

Edited by PieFacE

• 3 weeks later...

Reading that Forza 6 and all future Xbox games are coming to the PC.

As someone who would never buy an XBO, this is great news. It must be a kick in the teeth to everyone who got ripped off for paying £500 for the Kinect all in one console.

I really hope they bring all the Halo games across too. It probably signals the end of Xbox consoles as we know in the future.

Who paid £500?

It's all to drive games to be made using to Windows 10 universal platform, if it works future PC games will be more or less ready to play on Xbox. 

3 hours ago, villarule123 said:

Reading that Forza 6 and all future Xbox games are coming to the PC.

As someone who would never buy an XBO, this is great news. It must be a kick in the teeth to everyone who got ripped off for paying £500 for the Kinect all in one console.

I really hope they bring all the Halo games across too. It probably signals the end of Xbox consoles as we know in the future.

Why?  Early adopters always pay more for tech, it's been that way since you've been able to buy tech.  I don't think anybody who was in the market for an Xbox One at launch would have expected anything other than the price to drop dramatically within a year or two.  

If it's because 'exclusive' Xbox games are now being ported to PC how does that affect an Xbox One owner negatively? Is Forza 6 suddenly going to be a worse game because there is a Windows version?  

On 11 August 2015 at 09:49, The_Rev said:

I felt that with the PS3,  I didn't have the problem with the PS2 or PS1 controller which were the same but it's either that I was easily pleased back then or the Xbox 360 pad changed my expectations. 

The PS4 pad is lovely though.  Turns out (for me at least) that the problem with the PS3 thumbsticks wasn't the fact that they were at the same level but it was the distance between them that caused the discomfort.  Sony moved them an inch or two further apart on the DualShock 4 and it made all the difference, the gap between them is pretty much the same as it is on Xbox and as a result the pad is probably my favourite controller of all time.  

I hadn't touched a ps controller since the ps2, where I bought the original Xbox & hadn't owned a ps since.I had some reservations after ordering a ps in reguards the controller but in all honesty I've been absolutely fine. 

There's things I like a dislike (the little speaker really annoys me) & the touch pad seems completely pointless to me. I thought the thumb stick placements would be an issue but overall I think they're fine, if not a little shallow. I really like the triggers to & I kinda like the bigger sized main buttons . I haven't played a fps pvp game yet so I'm guessing that will be a test of how I'm doing with it. 

They won't ever switch thr Dpad with the thumb sticks because that's the lay out for Xbox. Out of the two though I'd still say Xbox controller is better overall in term of design & feel, but that's just what I think.

14 hours ago, The_Rev said:

Why?  Early adopters always pay more for tech, it's been that way since you've been able to buy tech.  I don't think anybody who was in the market for an Xbox One at launch would have expected anything other than the price to drop dramatically within a year or two.  

If it's because 'exclusive' Xbox games are now being ported to PC how does that affect an Xbox One owner negatively? Is Forza 6 suddenly going to be a worse game because there is a Windows version?  

Yeah I'm not too sure why any Xbox owner would be upset by this news? It's only a good thing for the platform imo. 

It seems like MS will be bringing out hardware upgrades for the Xbox One, rather than needing to buy a whole new console which is also a good thing imo.  They will be almost turning the Xbox One into a PC. Want to boost graphics, upgrade them! Happy with how it is, leave it. 

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

Yeah I'm not too sure why any Xbox owner would be upset by this news? It's only a good thing for the platform imo. 

It seems like MS will be bringing out hardware upgrades for the Xbox One, rather than needing to buy a whole new console which is also a good thing imo.  They will be almost turning the Xbox One into a PC. Want to boost graphics, upgrade them! Happy with how it is, leave it. 

Have you got a source for this?

That sounds like a dangerous game to me, the reason people buy consoles (including myself) is because I can't be bothered to keep up with the evolution of the PC. I want to know I can buy one box and the games will always play to their maximum potential. If you end up with a scenario that some games will only work on your XBOX One if you have added the super mega boost RAM upgrade then the whole point of a console is redundant.

46 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Have you got a source for this?

That sounds like a dangerous game to me, the reason people buy consoles (including myself) is because I can't be bothered to keep up with the evolution of the PC. I want to know I can buy one box and the games will always play to their maximum potential. If you end up with a scenario that some games will only work on your XBOX One if you have added the super mega boost RAM upgrade then the whole point of a console is redundant.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/1/1112...ncer-microsoft

In a speech to reporters, he said that the Xbox One could see a future in which it is upgraded, rather than replaced by new consoles. Spencer was talking about how Microsoft has sought to align its Windows 10 and Xbox One development activities under the internal "Universal Windows Platform" while offering backwards compatibility for many Xbox 360 games, now playable on Xbox One. He was addressing the concerns of some Xbox One owners that the exclusives destined for that console are appearing on PC, thus eroding the value of owning a console.

..."When you look at the console space, I believe we will see more hardware innovation in the console space than we've ever seen. You'll actually see us come out with new hardware capability during a generation allowing the same games to run backward and forward compatible because we have a Universal Windows Application running on top of the Universal Windows Platform that allows us to focus more and more on hardware innovation without invalidating the games that run on that platform."

http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...nsole-hardware

“In other [consumer technology] ecosystems you get more continuous innovation in hardware that you rarely see in consoles because consoles lock the hardware and software platforms together at the beginning and they ride the generation out for seven or so,” said Spencer. “We’re allowing ourselves to decouple our software platform from the hardware platform on which it runs.”

What this could mean is that the Xbox One becomes more like a PC, with Microsoft releasing updated versions every year or so with more powerful processors and graphics hardware. And, in theory, because games will be written as UWAs, older titles will remain compatible with the new machines.

I'm deeply unsure how Microsoft plan to take the millions of Xbox Ones they've already produced, and upgrade the hardware on them.

I'd go so far as to say they can't.

They'd need to produce a new edition of the console that was closer to a PC that let consumers easily upgrade their console. Which immediately and fundamentally splits the user base over night. And causes issues with developers, because no matter how much they witter on about making games more scalable for console audiences, you're immediately asking the developer to do more work and make a call about exactly where their sweet spot is for performance - do you just settle for the big user base who doesn't give a shit about upgrades, and therefore make the benefits of upgrading fit the game rather fringe, or do you openly admit that the standard user base gets a weaker product?

They can only really do this with a new console, unless they're keen to shoot themselves in the foot. Again.

I think the long term plan is to have it like an iPad or something.  Incrementally upgrade the hardware and at some point release a version of the OS which makes older consoles obsolete.  Good luck to them if the go that way, they'll certainly need it. 

If they go down the route of making older hardware obsolete then that would be a very bad move for them.

Personally my vision for it would be hardware upgrades to one device (possibly the Xbox One, though like Chindie I'm not sure how they would currently implement it) which would effectively give you a "low, medium, high" setting for every game depending on what hardware upgrades you've bought, similar to PC. Game developers manage that fine for PC's, so I see no reason why they couldn't for a console. 

Perasonally I think it would be a great idea, and actually asked this forum about such an idea here in June last year... Maybe they read my thread :lol:

Edited by PieFacE

Â