Xbox One

hogso

Tis for me and loads others.  They're having "core services"  issues.  

Www.Xbox.com/status 

Seems to happen at least twice a week.  Been down for 3 hours zzzzz

Edited by PieFacE

• 3 weeks later...

Kotaku has a story today stating Microsoft are developing a new upgraded Xbox with the (amusing) codename Scorpio. More powerful etc etc, and possibly able to support Oculus VR and 4k.

They also say that they expect an E3 announcement of a slim Xbox One fit late this year. Which would be interesting as one of the arguments made for the PS4.5 was that the usual cycle to make a slim model was so expensive this time around that it was easier to just bump to new standards rather than develop slim versions of existing chips...

They also expect a lot of Microsoft pushing is unified platform with the gap between Xbox and Windows shrinking ever smaller. Which should mean Microsoft bang on about PC a lot at E3.

There's been some talk of this on Gaf with potentially another device announced that is basically a Steam Link.

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 1

The Steam Link is basically a little device you plug into your TV and it let's you stream Steam games to it from your PC. Basically means in theory you can have a PC in a corner somewhere but play on big screen TV without messing around having a PC next to it. A Chromecast for PC games basically

The rumoured Xbox version seems to be about doing the same thing for Xbox games and services, perhaps wider Windows services as well. So it'll be a stick you plug into an HDMI slot that gives you Xbox capabilitiesb without the console being underneath it, presumably.

In respect of the slim version, I've seen some mooting that the console could possibly slim down without new chipsets, apparently the console is heavily over engineered to compensate for heat and to avoid the RROD scenario. They might be able to slim things down by stepping back that over engineering. They also could ditch the HDMI input to cut costs and size, as that hasn't really taken off and they may have better luck chasing people who will use the Xbox as their set top box for Netflix etc, rather than running Sky through it for instance...

Yeah definitely, will be interesting to see how well that works.

The new "upgraded" Xbox One Scorpio (or whatever it's going to be called) is apparently a pretty big leap in hardware from the Xbox One and is "apparently" going to be 6TFLOP whilst the PS4 Neo is 4.15TFLOP. That would certainly be interesting, as it would surely make the current Xbox One redundant? 

It'll likely be the same story as the PS4K, the extra power is there to be used by developers to put extra bells and whistles on titles (extra graphical detail, consistent frame rate etc) but will still run on the existing platform.

Microsoft are rumoured to want to go to an iterative release schedule, like phones do. Smaller increases in power in shorter periods, moving away from generational shifts that we've had so far. How well it takes off, who knows.

6 minutes ago, Chindie said:

It'll likely be the same story as the PS4K, the extra power is there to be used by developers to put extra bells and whistles on titles (extra graphical detail, consistent frame rate etc) but will still run on the existing platform.

Microsoft are rumoured to want to go to an iterative release schedule, like phones do. Smaller increases in power in shorter periods, moving away from generational shifts that we've had so far. How well it takes off, who knows.

Personally I think it would be a good thing providing the cycle for releasing new hardware is at least 3 years. If they start releasing newer models every year or two it will be incredibly frustrating. 

It's also being rumored that the Xbox interface is coming to PC, I wonder if they will eventually release all games on PC too using UWP, effectively turning every PC into an Xbox too? 

Unified Windows Platform means Xbox on PC is basically nailed on. The talk has been that Microsoft is developing it's titles across platforms now and expects others to do the same, with a bit focus on cross platform multiplayer.

As for the rumoured upgrade console, I expect it'll be a 2 year thing where your console is good for 2 upgrade cycles before being retired.

On 26/05/2016 at 09:07, PieFacE said:

Yeah definitely, will be interesting to see how well that works.

The new "upgraded" Xbox One Scorpio (or whatever it's going to be called) is apparently a pretty big leap in hardware from the Xbox One and is "apparently" going to be 6TFLOP whilst the PS4 Neo is 4.15TFLOP. That would certainly be interesting, as it would surely make the current Xbox One redundant? 

While it wouldn't make the current Xbox One redundant I would have to question Microsoft's thoughts about making it so much more powerful than Xbox One.

Sony are going to have the same issue just less extreme as 1.8 TeraFLOPs to 4.1 is a buff but not to the extent that the PS4 Classic will hold it back by much, it's very much possible to have both co-existing but it will be a struggle. 

Xbox One is 1.2 TeraFLOPs of performance, while the number touted for the new one is around 6 TeraFLOPs. We're talking developers having to make sure games for the system Codenamed Scorpio also run somewhat on Xbox One. This is going to be insanely difficult as the leap is just colossal, I mean the 'Scorpio' is 5x more powerful than the Xbox One while being 1.4x more powerful than NEO.

The main issue here is that console hardware is dedicated it has one task and gets maxed out. The current line of thinking is that for instance 1.8 TeraFLOPs in a console is the equivalent of 3.6 TeraFLOPs in a PC. The thought behind this is that even with DX12 allowing PC GPU's to run more efficiently and closer to 100% they are still wasteful devices that never reach their full potential, whereas Console GPU's do. As a result of this NEO is going to be the equivalent in power to the new GTX 1080 that came out today, while Codename Scorpio could have real world performance even higher than that. These ecosystems will be hard for both to manage if Sony and Microsoft are serious about not ditching PS4 Classic and Xbox One.

It will most certainly be very interesting to see how it all shapes up. The generation has currently gone in Sony's favour with a 20 million unit lead over Xbox One, but it seems the generation is merely getting started. Sony will have the advantage going into this mid-generation refresh, but it looks like Microsoft are set to eliminate one of the biggest short comings of the Xbox One which was its power. If gamers are interested in owning the most powerful gaming console on the market then Microsoft could start eating back some of that market share. Very interesting times indeed. 

If they did any kind of trade in scheme for Xbox One owners that would be amazing. Can't see it though. It will be a bit weird for them to have to keep supporting the older console when the newer one is going to be so much more powerful. Can see it being a bit of a pain in the arse for devs. 

Won't this just end up giving us all the set-up options that the pc crowd have, as it's clearly he goal to move away from dedicated consoles in the next 10yrs. I was thinking of finally buying an xbone, but I'm gonna hold back now and see how this plays out.

There's probably something those leaks for sure. Major Nelson replied on Reddit to someone saying 'Scorpio confirmed!' with a smiley. Obviously ambiguous but I've no idea why he'd want to stoke backlash if this doesn't happen.

Next year. I'd probably just about bet against it being announced at e3, although wouldn't be surprised to see them give a nod and a wink to 'more exciting things to be announced later in the year'.

This year is going to be the slim Xbox One and whatever other devices they've got, Xbox as a service, UWP and some exclusive games stuff (Forza Horizon 3 is nailed on, Sea of Thieves maybe, something Battletoads as an outsider?). 

My E3 prediction would be xbone slim, a VR partnership, halo wars 2, maybe halo dlc gears 4, forza, crackdown...getting a bit boring here...recore...I think they'll announce red dead BC and then pay the big money to get the new red dead as part of their show...

I think there may be a slim chance of a skyrm announcement and it'll be who has which that will steal the show, if following last year with the fallout stuff MS has red dead and skyrm it'll be an amazing show

Personally I think cup head is probably my most anticipated exclusive and I've seen all I need to see from that now, I just want a firm release date (soon)

Microsoft have changed the Xbox 'closer' branding slightly but perhaps tellingly. They've used 'XBOX ONE: Jump Ahead' since the Xbox Ones release. But they've now shifted to just 'XBOX'. 

Seems to tie into the feeling that they're shifting focus to Xbox as a service and away from a console alone.

15 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Question is,  will it be this year or next year? Got a feeling we won't see this new Scorpio box til November 17. Which would be a shame. 

Q1 2017 more than likely the same as the PlayStation NEO. Microsoft are already behind Sony so giving them even more time to rack up sales with a new supercharged system isn't something they want. Xbox Scorpio if the specs are accurate (1.4x more powerful than NEO) could be the time for a resurgence as this gen has already shown that gamers are more clued up than companies thought. In surveys the most popular feature of PS4 over Xbox One was frame rate and resolution, it stands to reason then that an Xbox Scorpio if priced competitively would decimate the PlayStation NEO if it was vastly more powerful.

Â