Xbox One

hogso

Surely the future of gaming lies in the cloud not in actual consumer hardware?

Let the cloud do all the work while we essentially stream the results? I don't claim to be clued up on this but I thought that's how it was going to work eventually?

Think we're still a fair bit away from that unfortunately. First of all, it would require a constant internet connection. The gaming world showed that they don't want an "always online" gaming system when Microsoft first announced the Xbone at E3 a few years ago.

The world isn't ready for that kind of system yet. Personally for me it wouldn't bother me at all (i only game when i'm online), but that's just me. 

Edited by PieFacE

8 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Think we're still a fair bit away from that unfortunately. First of all, it would require a constant internet connection. The gaming world showed that they don't want an "always online" gaming system when Microsoft first announced the Xbone at E3 a few years ago.

The world isn't ready for that kind of system yet. Personally for me it wouldn't bother me at all (i only game when i'm online), but that's just me. 

Agreed but surely the lifespan of the current XBone is another 3-4 years, as people become more familiar with the steam model of not having physical discs and being always online its possible that the next evolution of consoles could be in the cloud?

12 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Surely the future of gaming lies in the cloud not in actual consumer hardware?

Let the cloud do all the work while we essentially stream the results? I don't claim to be clued up on this but I thought that's how it was going to work eventually?

It'll go that way eventually, everything will, but I think we're a couple of generations from that yet. The infrastructure isn't there, and people aren't ready to go full digital purchase on everything.

The next gen of consoles will nudge it further, and so on, and eventually you'll have the full about face in mindset from the consumer that makes it inevitable.

The next Nintendo console is a decent bet for a full digital console experiment.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

the reason people buy consoles (including myself) is because I can't be bothered to keep up with the evolution of the PC. I want to know I can buy one box and the games will always play to their maximum potential. If you end up with a scenario that some games will only work on your XBOX One if you have added the super mega boost RAM upgrade then the whole point of a console is redundant.

This.   I bought a console as there is no faff with upgrading.   You buy it and play games for the next 6 years on it with no issues.

• 2 weeks later...

So Microsoft have announced that they are changing Xbox Live to cross play with Windows 10 devices and "other consoles"... if PlayStation allow this too it would be amazing. Hopefully Rocket League will be the first game that takes advantage of it. 

http://news.xbox.com/2016/03/14/lett...ox-updates-gdc
-------------------
Cross-Network Play
First, in addition to natively supporting cross-platform play between Xbox One and Windows 10 games that use Xbox Live, we’re enabling developers to support cross-network play as well. This means players on Xbox One and Windows 10 using Xbox Live will be able to play with players on different online multiplayer networks – including other console and PC networks.

Of course, it’s up to game developers to support this feature, and Xbox Live players will always have the option of choosing to play only with other Xbox Live players. We’re thrilled to confirm that Psyonix’s Rocket League will be one of the first games to take advantage of this new capability by enabling cross-network play between Xbox One and PC players, with an open invitation for other networks to participate as well.
-------------------

Not sure how to remove the horrible background formatting...

Edited by PieFacE
Thanks Limpid

This is fantastic for gamers, if you no longer have to pick a device to play on based on what your mates go for.

It'll be interesting to see how many games take advantage of this, and if it can be restricted to certain platforms. Rocket league is fine across all platforms, but you don't want cross platform play between PC and console for FPS, for example, so it'd be nice if that could be locked down to just other consoles.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I guess all of that is still unclear.  I can almost image Ms and Sony creating a Xbox Live+ and PSN+ which allow inter-network partying for an extra fee.  People would pay for it I think.  

Someone should invent a way that all computers could interconnect on a single network. It could be called "internet" or something. It's a good job Microsoft's marketing department have thought of it first. They could teach Blizzard or CCP how it's done :)

The only reason games don't cross platform boundaries now is because of marketing. I'm surprised one of the big franchises hasn't forced this already, I guess the exclusive backhanders has been sufficient to stop this.

1 minute ago, limpid said:

Someone should invent a way that all computers could interconnect on a single network. It could be called "internet" or something. It's a good job Microsoft's marketing department have thought of it first. They could teach Blizzard or CCP how it's done :)

The only reason games don't cross platform boundaries now is because of marketing. I'm surprised one of the big franchises hasn't forced this already, I guess the exclusive backhanders has been sufficient to stop this.

I wasn't saying it couldn't be done, I was just saying I could imagine MS and Sony both using it as a way to make a few quid! :)

Edited by PieFacE

Just now, PieFacE said:

I wasn't saying it couldn't be done, I was just saying I could imagine MS and Sony both using it as an extra way to make a few quid! :)

I know :) They'll make a few quid by not paying for exclusives. Watch them try to spin it that they've done something good for customers when in fact they've been screwing customers for years.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

finally got one

its a huge ugly machine with the traditional massive power pack! no wonder they want to be the only box under my tv, i cant get much more under there

turned it on excited about playing it.... 45 minutes later ive filled in all the guff and registered myself and ran the update....sign up to xbox live gold...stick forza in...45 minutes later...i can actually play it! was a bit disappointing to say the least, ive stuck tomb raider in, needs to update and install it, signed up to EA access, need to download and install everything

going to give it the benefit of the doubt and say its mainly because im late to the party so everything needs updating

also havent really explored it yet but the main screen is daft, its so cluttered and hard to navigate, far too much being thrown at you

so yeah not overly impressed...

its not all bad, EA access from what ive seen should be brilliant, games have been good, cant wait to properly get in to tomb raider

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

also havent really explored it yet but the main screen is daft, its so cluttered and hard to navigate, far too much being thrown at you

Really? Just press RT to go to your games? And the bumpers to navigate through the top menus. 

You only need to press the "Xbox Guide" button and left on the dpad to get to all your settings, friends, parties, notifications etc. Pretty simple :thumb: 

With 3 button clicks (RT at dash for games, Xbox guide and left for everything else) you can get to everywhere and do everything.

It's 100000x better than it was originally. It's pretty slick now. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

going to give it the benefit of the doubt and say its mainly because im late to the party so everything needs updating

The updating fun never ends I'm afraid.

Nothing more annoying than settling down at 10pm to play a quick game of something only to find it needs a bloody 1 gig update and you have sky broadband, won't be playing that tonight then....Xbox off! FUUUUUU

Edited by AVFCDAN

• 4 weeks later...
Â