Xbox One

hogso

If the PS4 used an Xbox controller I'd be tempted to buy one. Cannot stand the Playstation pads. 

I'm pretty sure you can buy unofficial pads for the PS3 (and so I assume for PS4 in future) that look and feel like XBox pads (and vice versa)

If the PS4 used an Xbox controller I'd be tempted to buy one. Cannot stand the Playstation pads. 

I'm pretty sure you can buy unofficial pads for the PS3 (and so I assume for PS4 in future) that look and feel like XBox pads (and vice versa)

Will look into that, nice one!

All these things which M$ are announcing such as "connect to the interenet every 24hours" and the fact M$ will take a cut from all pre-owned game sales will not affect me at all, but i'm getting a bit pissed off with it. Just seems really stupid and it's putting me off the Xbox a bit. 

Though, E3 will be interesting. Will reserve judgment til then.

Edited by PieFacE

Whether it affected me or not, I'd see all of these anti-consumer moves as being proof that this lot are willing and capable of anything. The fact they're now patenting the ability to count the people in the room and report back on licencing issues - whether it affected me or not - would make me say "Eh **** you Microsoft".

Xbox One second-hand games to cost £35 claim sources

The latest rumours concerning Xbox One’s used games policy suggests that second-hand games will cost as much as new games.

According to UK retailers the current plan for the Xbox One is that shops will be able to charge whatever they want for second-hand games but that both Microsoft and the publisher will now take a cut of the money.

According to industry paper MCV there was a briefing for key retailers earlier in the week, with Microsoft first of all telling shops that they would have to sign up to new terms and conditions and agree to be part of Microsoft’s cloud-based Azure pre-owned system.

This system is the same one that will register whether you own a game on your Xbox One, so the idea is that you’d go to the shop, hand over the game and have it ‘de-registered’ there.

This is the primary reason why the Xbox One has to connect online every 24 hours, to see whether you’ve sold any of your games or not.

The shop is then free to sell-on the game but only after giving a cut to both Microsoft and whoever publishes the game. According to separate sources on ConsoleDeals.co.uk that could leave shops with as little as 10 per cent profit.

That’s far lower than they make at the moment, which is significant because pre-owned sales is where games retailers make the majority of their money.

It could even spell the end for all games-only retailers, although interestingly U.S. giant GameStop has come out in support of the Xbox One – telling website Joystiq that it will continue to sell used games and digital content.

Whatever you buy the game for though you’ll still have to pay an ‘activation fee’ once you get it home to your console. It’s still not clear how much this would be, or if it’s a percentage of the retail cost, but the same sources claim it could be anything up to £35 for the whole transaction.

Obviously that’s as much as a new game is anyway, which of course entirely the point: Microsoft and publishers want to kill the second-hand market and this appears to be their method for doing so.

It also matches with what Microsoft’s Phil Harrison was saying on Tuesday, although Microsoft later tried to claim he was only discussing ‘potential scenarios’.

Beyond the usual caveat that these rumours and sources cannot be verified it’s very possible that Microsoft may change its policies after the negative response to the unveiling on Tuesday. Although whether they’d merely change a few details or scrap the entire idea is anyone’s guess.

This though was Microsoft’s official response to MCV’s story:

We know there is some confusion around used games on Xbox One and wanted to provide a bit of clarification on exactly what we’ve confirmed.

While there have been many potential scenarios discussed, we have only confirmed that we designed Xbox One to enable our customers to trade in and resell games at retail. Beyond that, we have not confirmed any specific scenarios. Another piece of clarification around playing games at a friend’s house – should you choose to play your game at your friend’s house, there is no fee to play that game while you are signed in to your profile.

[url=http://metro.co.uk/2013/05/24/xbox-one-second-hand-games-to-cost-35-claim-sources-3807585/]Horse

Microsoft certainly haven't denied that the above is true with that little quote at the end, and it rings true. If retailers are going to be forced to use the system to sell second hand games, they will have to charge full whack for them, no matter how old they are.

Edited by hogso

Microsoft have made my decision for me, I am not always online, I rely on pre-owned games - and whilst you can still get them - the cost will bloated, meaning I am spending out more and more.

Sorry MS, on that note, I am out.

(I am sticking with handheld and old consoles I think)

wow... if pre-owned games really will cost at least £35 then M$ are doing a great job of shooting themselves in the foot. With this, always online (evrey 24hour), and the Kinect spying on you... they really are making some stupid decisions. 

Edited by PieFacE

Dedicated servers for every multiplayer game?

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/05/xbox-one/

All your downloaded and installed games and achievements are synced to the cloud and can be accessed and played without interruption on any Xbox One you sign in to; stable, dedicated servers for every multiplayer game rather than the notoriously fragile practice of hosting matches on one participant’s console; even multiplayer matches that can grow to 64, even 128 participants, rather than the usual limit of 16 or 32.
Edited by AVFCforever1991

MS seem to be backtracking on this pre owned games debate. Larry Hryb from His Q&A was asked

Comment From Max

Larry, could you please provide some more clarity as to how users will be able to play used games on the Xbox One?

He said

Major Nelson (Larry Hryb): 

We are still months away from the launch of Xbox One & policy decisions are still being finalized.

They're either trying to change something or just hoping people will shut up about it and "deal with it"

Microsoft have made my decision for me, I am not always online, I rely on pre-owned games - and whilst you can still get them - the cost will bloated, meaning I am spending out more and more.

You don't really need to be "always online". Once every 24 hours. I can see people like my mate, who is in the army and can't get to an internet connection for more than a couple of days.

The pre owned games is that really **** me off about this whole thing. I'm saving my judgement for when they officially announce something

And about the all in one entertainment system. I know people who have Iphones/etc and are moaning about the Xbox having too many features, but complain like **** when Apple release a new phone and it doesn't have a certain feature or app that they never really needed before. Maybe im seeing things differently, i dunno.

Edited by Daniel

After their move against the used game market, I'm counting myself out on this one. If they'd kept things as they are and just upgraded the console, they'd have retained their market share easily, hopefully this anti-consumer bullshit bites them on the arse. I'll give this console generation a miss, I guess.

Edited by Davkaus

You don't really need to be "always online". Once every 24 hours. I can see people like my mate, who is in the army and can't get to an internet connection for more than a couple of days.

The pre owned games is that really **** me off about this whole thing. I'm saving my judgement for when they officially announce something

And about the all in one entertainment system. I know people who have Iphones/etc and are moaning about the Xbox having too many features, but complain like **** when Apple release a new phone and it doesn't have a certain feature or app that they never really needed before. Maybe im seeing things differently, i dunno.

It has to go online once a day, I am not always online, the wifi does not reach the room my xbox is in, to go online I take my xbox to the living room. I will have to do this every day, every day I log in. No thanks.

No, they've broken the taboo, they're going to fight the preowned market no matter what. They might be truthful in saying the plans aren't set in stone yet, but they're not backing away from it - if they were it's very easy to say 'We are not doing that'.

They're simply deciding how much they want to make the consumer spread 'em before they dive in for entry.

I was listening to the (always delightful) Joypod podcast this week and was struck  by just how annoyed the XBLA back catalogue not being able to be carried forward makes me. The disc based games is one thing, but the XBLA stuff? I refuse to believe, just like Joypod pointed out, that theres no way for the XBLA port of Sonic the Hedgehog to not run on the new console.

Edited by Chindie

So, XBLA  will not be on it either?

**** that.. 

There is going to be XBLA, just not able to play old stuff on the new console.

Â