The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

Like the serial alcoholic who, after stumbling home blind drunk for months on end and regularly beating his wife to a near pulp, manages to stay sober for hte one evening she was ready and packed to walk out, ludicrously lives to fight - and drink another day.

And some on here think we should suddenly start 'giving him credit' or whatever the phrase ?

Some say 'the players haven't perfromed for him' - I would say that is the MAIN plank of his job, getting the players to perfrom at or, collectively, above their best.

Some say he got some substitutions right. I would hope so !! The fact that it is even mentioned shows what a novelty it was !

Some say Fulham were a tough challenge - a sign of how low we now set our sights - have you seen their away record ?

Some say it is anti-Blues bias. I read very little that suggests that is prevalent. nobody would care where he was from if he entertained and was reasonably successful.

Praise where it is due ? OK, I'll give him 4 out of 10 for perfromance (thats our points percentage) and 0 out of 10 for entertainment.

Fair ?

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, there really is nothing wrong with hoping that things will improve.

The best case scenario as I can see it is that McLeish turns it around and we don't have to see millions being spent in compensation, another managerial search and excuses of a 'bedding in' period which will delay any progress for yet another year. I don't know how realistic that is but there's a chance at least.

But again, there is nothing wrong with hoping that things will improve. It's a lot easier to scoff and wallow in a cesspool of negativity.

This.

Trent, I personally think Dunne is marginally better than Collins. He seemed to be better in possession and positionally. But Collins has really cut out the incessant hoofing so fair play to him, and he doesn't make as many silly challenges as Dunne so it's a tough one to call :lol:.

The single biggest improvement in the team has come from the absence of Dunne and his replacement with Cuellar.

I'd say it was the absence of Bent. Yesterday we looked like a team that could all work towards creating chances but struggled to put them away, with him we look outnumbered but with a finisher.

I think Herd makes a difference, I think the improvements in N'Zogbia and Hutton do too. I think it's harsh to blame the change around on Dunne - I think for the first month or so of the season he was our best player.

In terms of the manager, I think that the more he's restricted, the better he can do - he'd be a great manager for Wigan. The substitutions worked yesterday- even a broken watch is right twice a day.

Like the serial alcoholic who, after stumbling home blind drunk for months on end and regularly beating his wife to a near pulp, manages to stay sober for hte one evening she was ready and packed to walk out, ludicrously lives to fight - and drink another day.

And some on here think we should suddenly start 'giving him credit' or whatever the phrase ?

Some say 'the players haven't perfromed for him' - I would say that is the MAIN plank of his job, getting the players to perfrom at or, collectively, above their best.

Some say he got some substitutions right. I would hope so !! The fact that it is even mentioned shows what a novelty it was !

Some say Fulham were a tough challenge - a sign of how low we now set our sights - have you seen their away record ?

Some say it is anti-Blues bias. I read very little that suggests that is prevalent. nobody would care where he was from if he entertained and was reasonably successful.

Praise where it is due ? OK, I'll give him 4 out of 10 for perfromance (thats our points percentage) and 0 out of 10 for entertainment.

Fair ?

I'm glad I don't live in such a black and white world, such as yours. :lol:

The single biggest improvement in the team has come from the absence of Dunne and his replacement with Cuellar.

I'd say it was the absence of Bent. Yesterday we looked like a team that could all work towards creating chances but struggled to put them away, with him we look outnumbered but with a finisher.

This is the problem really, either way it doesn't work too well - we had an extra man who was able to contribute to the buildup and offer something more in midfield but no natural finisher on the pitch. But when we have Bent, we have the goal machine but we effectively play with a man down as you have to carry him as a team and the rest of them aren't quite good enough to do that.

I'll tell you why I'm taking some big positives out of the win. Fulham came into the game on fire, full of confidence and looking for a 4th straight PL win. Dempsey and the big Russian didn't have a sniff all day. We dominated much of the game with Petrov and Herd brilliant in the middle.

Alex used his subs wisely, he also set us up well at the start.

He's finally getting to grips with the job IMO, his signings are settling in & 4 or 5 of the academy lads are getting great experience which all points to a better 2012/13 season and beyond

I don't understand where you're getting this from? By all means give him credit for the win but how on Earth is he "finally getting to grips with the job"? This was our first home win in 4 months. The performances recently haven't been slowly getting better. Fulham aside we've been absolutely shocking recently.

That's where we disagree then. For me since the Liverpool home shocker, Swansea home aside, we've seen a gradual improvement in the side under difficult circumstances (injuries etc)

Ok Wigan away wasn't very good either but we really miss Petrov when he's out and we also lost Bent that day

The real plus for me now is the defence and Given look like a solid unit. That's a platform we can build on

Like I said beat Bolton and we're possibly just 3 points behind Liverpool

What kind of prick would act that smug against fans who already hate him enough after two poor draws against two poor teams and being 2 minutes away from breaking a shocking club record.

The kind of prick who has had thousands of people telling him he doesn't know what he's doing?

...And maybe he doesn't know what he's doing. But it would be hard not to feel a BIT vindicated after the winner was set up by his three subs. Why he took off the Zog is beyond me, but a win is a ...

It's frustrating to see people declaring that they will never warm to McLeish. I say judge him on results alone. By that measure the judgement is probably this: He appears to be a bit rubbish, but considering that we are only 4 points off 8th place after selling two of our best players, he deserves at least to finish the season.

RL is NOT going to want to cough up another few million to replace McLeish.

So Villa fans have two choices, as far as I can see:

ACCEPT it and give McLeish the support he needs as Villa manager until results improve or he gets replaced by RL.

or

Don't accept it, and find another team to support.

This third alternative of constant whingeing and second-guessing of every decision he makes is not going to help the situation at all.

What kind of prick would act that smug against fans who already hate him enough after two poor draws against two poor teams and being 2 minutes away from breaking a shocking club record.

The kind of prick who has had thousands of people telling him he doesn't know what he's doing?

It's frustrating to see people declaring that they will never warm to McLeish. I say judge him on results alone. By that measure the judgement is probably this: He appears to be a bit rubbish, but considering that we are only 4 points off 8th place after selling two of our best players, he deserves at least to finish the season.

RL is NOT going to want to cough up another few million to replace McLeish.

So Villa fans have two choices, as far as I can see:

ACCEPT it and give McLeish the support he needs as Villa manager until results improve or he gets replaced by RL.

or

Don't accept it, and find another team to support.

This third alternative of constant whingeing and second-guessing of every decision he makes is not going to help the situation at all.

Would it help if I said I am more than happy to warm to him ?

All I ask is some reasonably entertaining football - not Results alone as you look for - instead the dross we have largely seen so far, and a reasonable set of results rather than a load of crap. In fact I am so desparate I might even settle for one or the other !!!

it is just that I doubt I am going to get that, so if it's ok I won't choose one of your alternatives, I will instead continue to support the Villa and moan moan moan about the Manager and owner. :)

That's where we disagree then. For me since the Liverpool home shocker, Swansea home aside, we've seen a gradual improvement in the side under difficult circumstances (injuries etc)

Ok Wigan away wasn't very good either but we really miss Petrov when he's out and we also lost Bent that day

The real plus for me now is the defence and Given look like a solid unit. That's a platform we can build on

Like I said beat Bolton and we're possibly just 3 points behind Liverpool

I'm really struggling to see this improvement. Wolves and Fulham aside we've been abject for virtually all of 2012 so far.

I reiterate my point.

Thanks to his legacy I didn't have the opportunity to enjoy a last minute winner yesterday such is my current disdain.

I used to live for moments like that but he has sucked every ounce of joy from the game.

We could win ten on the bounce and I would still struggle to feel involved. It has gone too far for me.

I can't believe what im reading on hear. 1 win and everyone thinks McLeish is now the messiah. Bringing Nzog off when he was perfoming pissed the fans and Nzog off. The ground was Getting well moody, every one could see Petrov and Albrighton were slowing the game down and to bring Gardener on at 90 even though he helped with the goa was to late and was insane. The goal was a fluke scrappy goal, not McLeish was tactically brilliant. Get real lads even if this is a start, its come a bit to late for me. He still has no idea how to play bent, has wasted our 25 million pound striker all season. I can't wait for the next games, Chelsea, Liverpool e.c.t, im sure it'll send all you McLeish (give him a chance) lovers a wake up call. It was to late for Houllier and its to late for McLeish. I mean you really Want this inept manager to bring his own players in. We will end up as a second rate Stoke.

We won yesterday by luck in the end. I give my credit to the players not McLiesh.

100% this

CI, he is finally getting a grip on the job, after 1 win! Hahahah. You joker! We beat Chelsea remember, then could'nt beat Swansea, Wigan, Blackburn and the rest. Reason being he had no idea how do deal with there tactics. He got lucky yesterday With the goal, pure luck, second half was still dross, we attacked the in last 10minutes again, great.

It's dejavu, remember beating chelsea at the bridge, everyone thought we were going to go on a run.. It's the same situation here. Still glad we won.

Exactly, we've 'turned' so many 'corners' we are back where we started.

...And maybe he doesn't know what he's doing. But it would be hard not to feel a BIT vindicated after the winner was set up by his three subs.

Of course he would. But then shouldn't it click in his memory of the shocking subs that didn't work? Or that we were 2 minutes away from setting a terrible club record?

You say judge him on results alone. I think a lot of fans are. 7 wins all season.

I can't warm to him because his football is shit, results are poor and now his personality of a smug delusional prick is adding to my hatred of him.

I can't believe so many people are happy to lower their expectations and demands for their club by accepting a future under mcleish. Randy really has done something special with his pr for this to happen.

CI, you must have extremely low expectations if you genuinely believe that McLeish is doing a good job.

I said he's possibly, slowly getting a grip on things

To add some perspective, After 28 games, Alex has got 1 point more than MON had in his first season

Under MUCH harder conditions IMO

It's dejavu, remember beating chelsea at the bridge, everyone thought we were going to go on a run.. It's the same situation here. Still glad we won.
Indeed. It's not even like our win against Fulham was that spectacular. Yeah I'm delighted to get the three points but we didn't exactly play magnificently and it's not like Fulham are that strong away from home.

I really do think people should wait a few games before throwing things like "he's slow getting to grips with the job" around. Being shit over and over again and getting a win every once in a while isn't good enough.

Â