The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Liverpool still haven't won an away league game at Stoke since they came back up nor have we, it's a tough place to go, we've gone there before now and been robbed, we've gone there before and been totally outplayed, neither of those things happened tonight, its a decent result, especially considering Stoke are probably even better at what they do (which is horrible) this season than any other.

I know I shouldn't be surprised at negativity on VT but I thought we played well tonight, just lacked a bit of cutting edge and clinical finishing required.

We did have most of the possession and created the best chances - positives there surely??

The thing we need to remember in a VP crowd is how many in there really use the Internet regularly? Now considering the crowd mix will contain females, plenty of 50 + blokes and young kids, I'd say it's a reasonably low percentage.

So I think the vitrol aimed on here isn't being replicated at the ground as people see us selling our best players and expect mid table results which we are getting (last season Houllier was getting flak as we still had Young and Downing and he was coming up with some bizarre team selections).

IMO for all McLeish's faults and dire football we haven't an awful home result quite yet to rival Wolves and Sunderland last season when Houllier was getting heapfuls of abuse at the end.

Manure was really poor for most of the game but then if you look back last 15 years against them at VP, that's generally the way it's gone with them, same as against Liverpool. Arsenal was a spirited defeat and while losing to WBA was poor, we lost Herd at a crucial stage of the game for a ridiculous red card.

Swansea will come and have a go, if we're not right they could turn us over and then McLeish will be getting plenty of flak.

McLeish has always been afraid to lose a game. The problem is that small heath went down last season because they drew to many games. Long term (over a season) we'd be better going to win some games and losing, because eventually we'll get some right and start winning. However trundling along as we are we will stay in the bottom half of the league.

Tonight we had potential to go and win that game in the last 20 minutes as Stoke were utter dross, but again we chose to sit back like we did against Swansea, QPR (although we were winning at the time), Newcastle etc.

McLeish has always been afraid to lose a game. The problem is that small heath went down last season because they drew to many games. Long term (over a season) we'd be better going to win some games and losing, because eventually we'll get some right and start winning. However trundling along as we are we will stay in the bottom half of the league.

Tonight we had potential to go and win that game in the last 20 minutes as Stoke were utter dross, but again we chose to sit back like we did against Swansea, QPR (although we were winning at the time), Newcastle etc.

I agree. We just seem to be content with drawing.

Tbf I think AM has avoided a fair chunk of criticism at VP because a fair few people are avoiding VP...

At least Merson was talking about it on sky earlier, when asked if we hate him so much why aren't we up in arms like Blackburn merse said villa fans would sooner vote with their feet and he's not far off IMO there are about 8k fans that would rather stay at home than go and boo

Liverpool still haven't won an away league game at Stoke since they came back up nor have we, it's a tough place to go, we've gone there before now and been robbed, we've gone there before and been totally outplayed, neither of those things happened tonight, its a decent result, especially considering Stoke are probably even better at what they do (which is horrible) this season than any other.

They've lost to both QPR and Newcastle at home and tonight they were there for the taking. This tough place to go lark is a bit of a myth. Eastlands/Old Trafford are tough places to go.

Too scared to lose.

We'll either scrape a draw or fall to a defeat.

38 games, 38 draws = 38 points.

38 games, go for wins and say win half = 57 points.

Rather simplistic but it proves a point.

AMC is out of his depth and will never be a success here, I suspect mostly through his own ineptness but we have to admit, given his history both with previous clubs and his start here, it will be almost impossible to turn things around regardless now; people will just hate him.

My brother and I were discussing this over Christmas dinner (although he's an Arsenal fan) and my Mum (who hates football) actually got involved - even she couldn't understand the concept of hiring a 'boss who had previously failed'. And that's as simple as it gets; we've hired a manager who has history of being extremely poor, defensive and taken teams down and given him free reign of our club. What did we expect?

The blame lies with Lerner.

4 wins out of 18.

4 home defeats out of 5.

5 games out of 7 where we've failed to score.

But don't worry, AM has managed to pick up a point against Stoke, not a top 4 team or top 6 team, STOKE and we didn't even win. Hurrah, our cup final of the season!

They've lost to both QPR and Newcastle at home and tonight they were there for the taking. This tough place to go lark is a bit of a myth. Eastlands/Old Trafford are tough places to go.

Ask any professional footballer and they will disagree with you. If you have ever stepped foot into the Britannia you will quickly realize what makes this such a tough place to go.

Well trying to be as positive as possible i thought it at least stopped the rot of successive defeats..

Defence-

We battled well & defended much better though it's clearly the sides with a bit of finesse we can't defend against rather than the likes of Stoke... Still it does look like the defence is at last starting to tighten up somewhat & compete better. Thought we looked so much more solid with Cuellar back at RB instead of Hutton.

Midfield-

So little creativity it's scary.. I thought Albrighton was shocking tonight i have to say as was NZog... Both got in loads of good positions but what they did from there was frankly amateurish. This for me is a major part of our problem...Bannan, Albrighton, Nzog, Delph & Fonz are simply not producing with anywhere near enough consistency & all look completely bereft of confidence... They need dropping in my opinion but for whom exactly?!

Strikers-

Well this for me wouldve been exactly the game Bent would have nicked for us... As it was Gabby was looking decent & i actually thought Heskey influenced the game very well in the 1st half & was instrumental in upsetting their rhythm.. Hit the post too & that was the 1st game he has impressed me in this season! As for fonz? Well i thought he looked & retained posession better..

To summise i thought there were actually signs that McCleish was starting to finally stamp his mark on us defensively & with a couple of additions in Jan (which we desperately need) particularly in midfield i think we can stabilise & ensure we remain in this division... Then start to move on in the summer with some badly needed investment.. It's not pretty but this season is now all about surviving for me. We ain't gonna win jot thats for certain so it's clearly a massive transitional season nothing more.

I have to say we all, including me, come on here moaning etc but the fact is nobody appeared to want to manage this club given the impossible set of instructions that came with it... Martinez, Benitez, & goodness knows how many others all came, heard the circumstances & ran away asap from the job EVEN THE WIGAN MANAGER FFS! so for me it's higher up than AMC that we have to worry about.

4 wins out of 18.

4 home defeats out of 5.

5 games out of 7 where we've failed to score.

But don't worry, AM has managed to pick up a point against Stoke, not a top 4 team or top 6 team, STOKE and we didn't even win. Hurrah, our cup final of the season!

I don't understand the incredibly positive reactions to the game. Yes it was a point at Stoke (who are quite hard to play at home) and yes we didn't play too badly, but was it really that great? People are acting like we've just gone to Old Trafford or Middle Eastlands, given them a good game and come away with a point. This is Stoke FFS. They were poor today and we didn't create an awful lot of chances. As the game drew to a close we seemed content with the point instead of trying to go for the win.

I guess people have just become so used to dire performances, that when we're mediocre, we look like world-beaters.

Swansea game could be very ugly if we lose it, hence why McLeish will set us up to draw and it'll be yet another 0-0 snooze fest.

Â