330 members have voted

1. 1. Houllier or McLeish?

• McLeish
    • Houllier

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Possession football is a plus? Not when were not in possession and collapse like a house of cards, we only started winning when we returned to the non GH methods

We had one extra training session, one, its a myth.

His use of subs was as predictable as the next man

These scouts outside Britain, who were they and how long did they last?

The youngsters were only ever used when he had no other options, he dropped them like a sack of shit as soon as he could

Discipline? surely you are having a laugh, Dunne & Colins should have been dropped, that would have been discipline.

What deadwood did he get rid of?

Bent - yes Makoun - he that even GH dropped and has been shown where his future lies and Walker wasn't a defender, ever in a month of sundays

As for the bottom two, they really don't need comment apart from MON had CL experience too, not much point in having it if you aren't going to get there though

C'mon Bicks.

A strength is a strength whether it turned out to your satisfaction or not, despite the negative spin you are trying putting on them (some of which are, quite unexpectedly, laughable).

The big one for me is him not being British. I'd explain it - but you'd all take offense.

Nothing you mention is a strength, some of the things you mention however are totally in the realm of fantasy, the extra fitness training, the use of the youth, the discipline, the scouts abroad, the getting rid of deadwood… none of it ever happened

If Houllier was still here, we'd have a much better squad now, I'm almost certain of it.

How can you say that 'the use of the youth' never happened???? :?

What is the point of this thread, really? Houllier's gone, McLeish is here.

Anyone who has a vaguely valid point about Houllier, whether proven in his short time here or not, will just be shot down like you have done to Oz. It's tiresome.

Out of teh two and defo at the start of the season if they was a way of guaranteeing Houlliers health (which there isn't / wasn't) then I'd pick him and I'd have picked him over all other people in the running bar Anchelotti (even though he wasn't actually in the running) as it was clear of his plan - playing decent attacking football, real football.

Also the owners seemed to back him and trust his judgement. I think we'd have been able to get rid of the troublemakers - which I think would have been a good thing - I hate 'player power' these players disrecspected the club and should have beemn tossed aside for players that actually want to be here.

I'd have wanted Houllier because I think his footballing philosophy would have been amazing for this football club. Look at his work with France - he cvoudl maybe have had a similar effect on us as to what he did to France building up to france 98.

As it happens - with the owners pulling the plug on transfer funds then I think McLeihs is a good choice - and he's done nothing wrong so far. McLeish is very mnuch in the MON brand of football, shitty hoofball, counter attacking going out to not lose games rather tahn to win them.

Lucky for us McLeish is like MON without the ego / stubbornness / wrecklessness which has put us in this truble and one we'll take a good 5 years to eradictae his mistakes. It eas going well we made greta progress under MON so mayeb McLeish will be able to continue that good work once teh finiancial issues which MON casued are addressed.

I think McLeish won't be as stubborn as MON in terms of personnel and wouldn't let us go a whole season un preparaed (MON with no right back etc - even though he had pretty much unlimited funds, then bought 2 and didn't play either whilst they're racking up £100k a week in wages).

So whilst I'd rather have lovely nice to watch football, we can get back to the counter attacking solid defensiveness of MON (whcih first made us successful) but without the ego, stubbornness, wrecklessness, poor judge of value for money and ultimate failure (Big Eck won a trophy with a shite team and deserved to win for taking the game to the opposition whereas we surrendered both big games (man u & Chelsea) as duidn't have teh guts to take teh game to teh opposition).

How can you say that 'the use of the youth' never happened???? :?

It didn't, no "youth" player ever played when a senior player was fit, they were only used when they had to be used, they were a last resort. It's not something Houllier can take credit for, he had no other options when he did it. Also Albrighton aside, he rarely ever gave them a game from the bench to blood them in either. So there you have it, the Houllier Youth Myth

If Houllier was still here, we'd have a much better squad now, I'm almost certain of it.

What would he have built this better squad with exactly? we received around 38 mill and spent around 16 mill on three players. I doubt Houllier could have brought in a better keeper for 3 mill and a better winger for 9.5 mill. Its possible he could have spent the 3.5 mill on Hutton better.

For him to do what some on here suggest with the money he would have had available would be akin to a story that's been doing the rounds for a while that some bloke once had 2 fish and five loaves and fed 5000 people. Some people are deluded enough to believe any old bollocks I guess.

Whatever Mcleish has done elsewhere is of no value to us....one way or the other.

What Ferguson did at Aberdeen is not reflective of what he is doing at Man U and what Saunders did at Villa is not reflective of what he did at Norwich and Yeovil.

different times, different places.

Success is very difficult to quantify, but i would guess like the prefect storm it is the coming together of so many factors.

Martin O'Neill had c4 years

Houllier had c12 months

McLeish has had a wet day

give him a chance or more importantly a break.

There is a time to make a valid claim for a gripe......now is not the time.

do I think he will make us proud again..... not a clue, too many factors.

You have a most odd perception of things I must say Oz. Sidwell is the only player that left under Houllier, Ireland is still here and the other two's contracts ended after Houllier's, they were still Villa players after Houllier had left. And Sidwell would have gone in the summer before Houllier arrived if Liverpool hadn't poached Hodgson from Fulham too

I had forgotten that Carew was on loan. Thanks for setting me straight.

I concede - it was not a very good point.

What would he have built this better squad with exactly? we received around 38 mill and spent around 16 mill on three players. I doubt Houllier could have brought in a better keeper for 3 mill and a better winger for 9.5 mill. Its possible he could have spent the 3.5 mill on Hutton better.

For him to do what some on here suggest with the money he would have had available would be akin to a story that's been doing the rounds for a while that some bloke once had 2 fish and five loaves and fed 5000 people. Some people are deluded enough to believe any old bollocks I guess.

It's my opinion, I'm not deluded. Like I said on the last page, anyone with anything to inpit is shot down (or in this case, accused of being deluded).

You even said in your post that he could have spent the Hutton money better. So hoe about we stop with the boring 'deluded' comments?

I actually think that Houllier would have been given more money than McLeish has.

Here on VillaTalk;

1. Discussion on how McLeish can't move us forward as he's like any other average british manager who hasn't achieved anything like Hughes, Pulis etc...

2. Houllier is the great god of football, inventing new ways of playing, perfect training and tactical plans and a manager who would have taken us to success in england and europe had he been here.

steakchips vs rest of VT ..

and it's LIVE.

The Brum Mail online today has an article where Richard Dunne is quoted as saying “I probably would have left if Houllier had stayed". Shame GH went I say. Dunne then goes on to say how it would be nice to live the lifestyle that you get playing in the USA leagues like Robbie Keane and Beckham, it must be hard earning the pittance he's on at Villa poor guy. Can't believe he's still here, most calamitous player in the league.

Mcleish all the way, the people booing him not turning up for games are pathetic imo, who cares if he managed blues? A small time club with small time fans, a small stadium and a very small history. We are ASTON VILLA one of the biggest clubs in football history. Also I do not like foreign managers i just dont think it works over here (there are two exceptions but even one of them has lost the plot). People need to realise where villa are atm, I do not think big eck has put one foot wrong so far in any aspect of his job, achikeving the aim for this season, we are unbeaten and have kept two clean sheets out of 3 games, two of which were tough fixtures not too mention through safely to the next round of the cup. I personally am of the belief a lot of people are going to end up eating humble pie come the end of the season.

McLeish for me. Players seem hapy now, not exactly the case under Hpullier was it?

Let's see what Darren Bent says come January then!! Of course some players are happy, 90% of our squad are players who know that they will never win a trophy, are content with 10th place as long as they are picking up 30K a week. The best players will curse the day they were fooled to join our club on false pretences.

Â