Houllier or Mcleish

Delphinho123

Houllier or McLeish?  

330 members have voted

1. 1. Houllier or McLeish?

• McLeish
    • Houllier

People herrald his european scouting network then chuck numerous plaudits at him for signing Bent ( a MoN signing if I ever saw one).

Im sorry but no. Harewood was a MoN signing.

MoN had the chance to sign Bent when he left Spurs. 99% of fans on here were crying out for us to sign Bent, but MoN was so shortsighted in the transfer market that he went out and signed Habib Beye instead. The fool.

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MoN had the chance to sign Bent when he left Spurs. 99% of fans on here were crying out for us to sign Bent...

Exageration doesn't prove or make a point more valid, quite the opposite in fact.

Can't think of a single issue ever that had 99% of Villa fans in agreement

MoN had the chance to sign Bent when he left Spurs. 99% of fans on here were crying out for us to sign Bent...

Exageration doesn't prove or make a point more valid, quite the opposite in fact.

OK Bicks...the vast majority of Villa fans wanted Bent at that moment in time.

Really so a proven British based PL player, a fairly big wage wasn't a MoN type signing?

MoN had the chance to sign Bent when he left Spurs. 99% of fans on here were crying out for us to sign Bent, but MoN was so shortsighted in the transfer market that he went out and signed Habib Beye instead. The fool.

Here's a question..... Can you prove we indeed did have a chance to sign him when he left spurs? Here's another... Can you prove he didn't try to sign him when he left Spurs?

Can you prove we indeed did have a chance to sign him when he left spurs?

Of course we had a chance to sign him, he wasnt wanted by Spurs

Here's another... Can you prove he didn't try to sign him when he left Spurs?

What would make you say that?? Are you saying he chose Sunderland over us??

Im sure if MoN had any real nous in the transfer market, we would have signed him. But no. He would rather sign Emile Heskey and Marlon Harewood instead. Genius.

Possession football is a plus? Not when were not in possession and collapse like a house of cards, we only started winning when we returned to the non GH methods

We had one extra training session, one, its a myth.

His use of subs was as predictable as the next man

These scouts outside Britain, who were they and how long did they last?

The youngsters were only ever used when he had no other options, he dropped them like a sack of shit as soon as he could

Discipline? surely you are having a laugh, Dunne & Colins should have been dropped, that would have been discipline.

What deadwood did he get rid of?

Bent - yes Makoun - he that even GH dropped and has been shown where his future lies and Walker wasn't a defender, ever in a month of sundays

As for the bottom two, they really don't need comment apart from MON had CL experience too, not much point in having it if you aren't going to get there though

C'mon Bicks.

A strength is a strength whether it turned out to your satisfaction or not, despite the negative spin you are trying putting on them (some of which are, quite unexpectedly, laughable).

The big one for me is him not being British. I'd explain it - but you'd all take offense.

Possession football is a plus? Not when were not in possession and collapse like a house of cards, we only started winning when we returned to the non GH methods

We had one extra training session, one, its a myth.

His use of subs was as predictable as the next man

These scouts outside Britain, who were they and how long did they last?

The youngsters were only ever used when he had no other options, he dropped them like a sack of shit as soon as he could

Discipline? surely you are having a laugh, Dunne & Colins should have been dropped, that would have been discipline.

What deadwood did he get rid of?

Bent - yes Makoun - he that even GH dropped and has been shown where his future lies and Walker wasn't a defender, ever in a month of sundays

As for the bottom two, they really don't need comment apart from MON had CL experience too, not much point in having it if you aren't going to get there though

C'mon Bicks.

A strength is a strength whether it turned out to your satisfaction or not, despite the negative spin you are trying putting on them (some of which are, quite unexpectedly, laughable).

The big one for me is him not being British. I'd explain it - but you'd all take offense.

Nothing you mention is a strength, some of the things you mention however are totally in the realm of fantasy, the extra fitness training, the use of the youth, the discipline, the scouts abroad, the getting rid of deadwood… none of it ever happened

Of course we had a chance to sign him, he wasnt wanted by Spurs

So you know for sure that Randy had free'd up that much for one signing? I'd love to know where you're getting your information from, or are you just assuming that as he moved during that window we had the opportunity to sign him?

What would make you say that?? Are you saying he chose Sunderland over us??

Perhaps he did, perhaps he thought he was guaranteed a start at sunderland, perhaps he preferred the area then, perhaps we didn't want to meet his wage demands. Again you're assuming a lot.

Im sure if MoN had any real nous in the transfer market, we would have signed him. But no. He would rather sign Emile Heskey and Marlon Harewood instead. Genius.

If I remeber correctly Harewood was signed before Bent left Spurs.

OK Bicks...the vast majority of Villa fans wanted Bent at that moment in time.

I think you are exaggerating again tbh. Some did, some didn't and as such its not really worthy of much debate as it never happened. But 99% and "vast majority" really aren't worthy of debate, it was simply never the case

Anyway you're off the point.

I was saying that Bent was much more a MoN TYPE signing compared to what Houllier's benefits were meant to be. Many like yourself were convinced we'd be using an extensive network of foreign scouts to sign players MoN had never heard of.

Just because MoN didn't actually sign Bent does not mean Bent was not a typical MoN signing.

Nothing you mention is a strength, some of the things you mention however are totally in the realm of fantasy, the extra fitness training,

I never said extra. I said fitness training instead of days off. MON was known for giving his favourites days off. Houllier stopped that.

the use of the youth,

Again, I never said that. I said "Albrighton, Clarke and Bannan". Not just the use of them (the latter 2 brought on by injuries - I agree), but their form.

the discipline

Dropping Warnock for being a gobshite. Ditto Ireland. Hauling Dunne and Collins over the coals. No more days off.

the scouts abroad

I should dig up the article about the scouting network, but I can't be arsed. I can point to Makoun and Bradley. They may not be regarded as successes - but they came from abroad.

the getting rid of deadwood

Sidwell. Carew. Ireland loaned to Newcastle. That's just off the top of my head. I'm thinking Osbourne too - but not sure (probably MON).

Remember he had NO preseason to sort this stuff out.

… none of it ever happened

But of course. :winkold:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1367156/French-fitness-coach-Robert-Duverne-centre-Aston-Villa-row.html

Duverne the 43-year-old, who arrived at Villa Park when Gerard Houllier took charge earlier this season, came under extraordinary criticism from Dunne over his strict training methods during a alcohol-fuelled rant during a meal at the luxury Champney's Spa resort in Leicestershire.

Many of the squad are happy with how Duverne has improved their fitness and match sharpness,' a source close to the club told the Sun.

'But some of the other players have complained continuously about extra runs at the end of sessions and gruelling tasks within the season.

'Dunne and some other senior players do not understand why they are doing pre-season style fitness work in March.'

Tables were also said to have been damaged during the incident. But coach Gordon Cowans, who was present, must submit a statement as part of the club’s disciplinary procedure before he can comment.

Dunne and Collins have had to explain their actions at club disciplinary panels during the past 48 hours.

Lyon was renowned for the endurance of its players, whose trademark was to fade out less than their opponents, and still have the physique to kill the games in the last 10 minutes. The then physical coach, Robert Duverne, adept of dreadful pre-season training camps in Tignes ( in the French Alps chain of mountains), was often recognized as the wizard enabling these miracles. So high was his recognition since a few years among French football that Raymond Domenech, then coach of the French NT, had called him in the French NT staff before the 2006 World Cup. He stayed in this role after the competition, freed by OL before every international break.

At this precise moment in time, I'd have to go with mcleish as i think he'll get the best out of a fairly limited squad with limited resources. Its easy to criticise the lack of attacking flare but had we still got downing and young would this still be the case ? I'm not so sure. There's also something to be said for being difficult to beat.

With Houllier, he strikes me as someone who needs time and to me, the perfect time for him to have come in would have been after O'leary when we needed a complete overhaul. He'd have had money to spend and would arguably have had more time to build things his way after the O'leary era than when following the relative success of MON. With the money MON spent and the time he was given, I'd have been intrigued to see what Houllier came up with.

Nothing you mention is a strength, some of the things you mention however are totally in the realm of fantasy, the extra fitness training,

I never said extra. I said fitness training instead of days off. MON was known for giving his favourites days off. Houllier stopped that.

the use of the youth,

Again, I never said that. I said "Albrighton, Clarke and Bannan". Not just the use of them (the latter 2 brought on by injuries - I agree), but their form.

the discipline

Dropping Warnock for being a gobshite. Ditto Ireland. Hauling Dunne and Collins over the coals. No more days off.

the scouts abroad

I should dig up the article about the scouting network, but I can't be arsed. I can point to Makoun and Bradley. They may not be regarded as successes - but they came from abroad.

the getting rid of deadwood

Sidwell. Carew. Ireland loaned to Newcastle. That's just off the top of my head. I'm thinking Osbourne too - but not sure (probably MON).

Remember he had NO preseason to sort this stuff out.

… none of it ever happened

But of course. :winkold:

You have a most odd perception of things I must say Oz. Sidwell is the only player that left under Houllier, Ireland is still here and the other two's contracts ended after Houllier's, they were still Villa players after Houllier had left. And Sidwell would have gone in the summer before Houllier arrived if Liverpool hadn't poached Hodgson from Fulham too

Â