Houllier or Mcleish

Delphinho123

Houllier or McLeish?  

330 members have voted

1. 1. Houllier or McLeish?

• McLeish
    • Houllier

Houllier came into a club in limbo, with a shite training regime............in fact why bother. You have your views, I have mine and it appears never the twain shall meet.

Yeah that is why we had so few injuries and we came 6th 3 years on the trot. Our training was terrible thank god we had Houllier come in with his 'new' methods which led to mass injuries and had us in a relegation scrap.

The majority of our players didnt have the fitness levels to compete at top level. And to get these players up to the levels required takes time..If you watch the team throughout last season..Look at Petrov at the start of season "before" Houllier even came to the club..Take a look at the 6-0 drubbing we took off Newcastle, where he captained the side..His shirt is full of sweat, he looked tired and well short of match fitness(This was near the start of the campaign and before Houllier even came to the club).. Then take a look at Petrov in the last few games of last season, after spending time under the new training program..You will have noticed a sharper, fitter player in Petrov..

Sometimes improvements take time until you can see the results..

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Houllier came into a club in limbo, with a shite training regime............in fact why bother. You have your views, I have mine and it appears never the twain shall meet.

Yeah that is why we had so few injuries and we came 6th 3 years on the trot. Our training was terrible thank god we had Houllier come in with his 'new' methods which led to mass injuries and had us in a relegation scrap.

No, We just ran out of steam c March.

Mainly due to intransigent team selection and smash and grab football style.

you don't mention the home performances during those halcyon days. Home performances will always be the bedrock of any progress of a football club.....Ours was built on sand no sustainabilty. A football style that was easily nullified.We relied on the opposition to take the game to us at Home in the main.....what fun that was.

If there was any substance to O'Neills tenure it would have run for another 12 months with me or you in charge.

When Saunders left, he said " this team will run itself for 12 months" and it did.

O'Neill's regime was built soley on his personal involvement and yes good motivator.....not much else.

Do you do any fitness Diego??

You are more susceptible to injuries during undertaking a new training regime. Its why your doctors recommend you speak to them before taking up new training programmes.

I could also use Jon Terrys ""We knew Villa would tire after 55-60 minutes and that if we kept passing the ball, spaces would appear and chances would come," the Chelsea captain said." Quote. Our fitness under ONeill was poor as there was no fitness training per sae, a lot of his training was 5 a sides.

The facts are there, you just choose not to see them for the sake of argument, or you have a short memory.

Do you do any fitness Diego??

You are more susceptible to injuries during undertaking a new training regime. Its why your doctors recommend you speak to them before taking up new training programmes.

I could also use Jon Terrys ""We knew Villa would tire after 55-60 minutes and that if we kept passing the ball, spaces would appear and chances would come," the Chelsea captain said." Quote. Our fitness under ONeill was poor as there was no fitness training per sae, a lot of his training was 5 a sides.

The facts are there, you just choose not to see them for the sake of argument, or you have a short memory.

To support your point in the words of one player "we would arrive for training and a little stream of smoke was visible from the back of an old shed on the training gound quite regularly .... Walford and Robertson having a crafty puff.....The players would naturally see the funny side of it, but there is also a more sinister side to it, it just lacks professionalism and respect for the players.

Hardly crimes for the Old Bailey..... but hardly a professional greeting for the Coaches to start a new session.

It was just shabby.

To support your point in the words of one player "we would arrive for training and a little stream of smoke was visible from the back of an old shed on the training gound quite regularly ........The players would naturally see the funny side of it, but there is also a more sinister side to it, it just lacks professionalism and respect for the players.

Hardly crimes for the Old Bailey..... but hardly a professional greeting for the Coaches to start a new session.

It was just shaggy.

*fixed :winkold:

scoobydooandshaggystone.jpg

O'Neill's regime was built soley on his personal involvement and yes good motivator.....not much else.

That's two steps ahead of of Houllier then. Little personal involvement and Mr Demotivator

Clearly, they both had the strengths and weaknesses, as we all do unfortunately. What you would have hoped is that Lerner would have spotted these and used it in making the brief for the "perfect" new manager to replace Houllier. Unfortuntely, given his lack of awareness of the game etc. and his poor selection of broader Management, I doubt he was even aware of these when he made his next appointment.

I cant think of one strength Houllier had

- Possession football

- Fitness training instead of days off

- Using substitutions

- Albrighton, Bannan and Clarke

- Scouts outside of Britain

- Discipline (in regards to Warnock, Ireland, Dunne, Collins)

- Ousting deadwood

- Bent, Makoun, Walker

- Champions League experience

- Not being British

Just some positives off the top of my head.

There will be plenty of negatives you could also list as a strength - like his fondness for Liverpool (Loyalty).

I cant think of one valid point you have made against Houllier to support your case?

It is obvious you dont like him, fair enough. There are those that bother to try to put across reasoning for their stance, other than, "I dont like him". I am wondering though, why bother.

Some fans wouldnt see the strengths. Because they cant see behind their hatred of the man.

I dont think he has the likability factor...But he knows to run a football club..

McLeish is likeable, he talks a good game..But he isnt as skilled in the modern game.

Likability v Skill, is what the poll should be.

Some fans wouldnt see the strengths. Because they cant see behind their hatred of the man.

I dont think he has the likability factor...But he knows to run a football club..

McLeish is likeable, he talks a good game..But he isnt as skilled in the modern game.

Likability v Skill, is what the poll should be.

Ah the I see things others can't see defence.... what are your thoughts on Ethan Moore? :D

- Possession football

- Fitness training instead of days off

- Using substitutions

- Albrighton, Bannan and Clarke

- Scouts outside of Britain

- Discipline (in regards to Warnock, Ireland, Dunne, Collins)

- Ousting deadwood

- Bent, Makoun, Walker

- Champions League experience

- Not being British

Just some positives off the top of my head.

There will be plenty of negatives you could also list as a strength - like his fondness for Liverpool (Loyalty).

Possession football is a plus? Not when were not in possession and collapse like a house of cards, we only started winning when we returned to the non GH methods

We had one extra training session, one, its a myth.

His use of subs was as predictable as the next man

These scouts outside Britain, who were they and how long did they last?

The youngsters were only ever used when he had no other options, he dropped them like a sack of shit as soon as he could

Discipline? surely you are having a laugh, Dunne & Colins should have been dropped, that would have been discipline.

What deadwood did he get rid of?

Bent - yes Makoun - he that even GH dropped and has been shown where his future lies and Walker wasn't a defender, ever in a month of sundays

As for the bottom two, they really don't need comment apart from MON had CL experience too, not much point in having it if you aren't going to get there though

I was a MoN fan, I wasn't overjoyed with Houllier and I'm unsure about McLeish.

The one thing that pissed me off with Houllier was he came into the club and from the first minute of the first day he completely destroyed the ethos of the squad. Bang! everything changed. No for that to have worked he would have need carteblanche to sell, sack or otherwise get rid of the players he couldn't,wouldn't work with and go out and buy those he could. And that was never going to happen.

What you cannot do is completely change the set up of an established squad, asking players to do something their not neccesarily confident with and expect to get results ina very competitive league at the same time.

He tried the senior members, when it wasn't working or they got injured tried the kids and when that didn't work he went back to the first lot of players.

People herrald his european scouting network then chuck numerous plaudits at him for signing Bent ( a MoN signing if I ever saw one).

Houllier's approach may have worked in the long run but the way he was going about it he was never going to be here long enough to reap any benefits because we'd be in the Championship.

Â