Chris Herd

ChrisNichollsToe

It amazes me how quickly this guy has become one of our key players. Up until the West Brom game all he'd had was that very short stint at right back and a couple of cameo appearances last season. Since that West Brom game however he's been a starter for every game and played the full 90 minutes. As I said, he's seamlessly slotted into the first team in such a short space of time. You'd expect him to look shaky but he looks just as steady as Petrov who's been there for 5 years.

Really impressed me, looks so disciplined and keep things moving on. Great in the tackle and great in the air. He could have a really bright future. I´m hoping his injury isn´t that bad. How long contract does he have?

This story in the local rag suggests Herd will miss his international commitments due to injury.

Aston Villa midfielder Chris Herd is expected to miss out on his first Socceroos squad because of an injury sustained in his Premier League club's 3-2 win over Norwich City.

I don't recall seeing him injured and I can't imagine why the club might come up with something to prevent him playing, considering we now have Jenas and Delph fit. If it's true it's disappointing for him (and all Aussie Villans) - linking up with the national team would have been a real carrot for him to keep working hard & improving.

Good player, bad haircut.

I think the haircut and the tatts are a product of the fact that his face makes him look about 12 years old!

I think he needs a Mellberg-esque beard to compensate for the boyish looks. Current hairstyle just makes him look like a lesbian.

I am very surprised with his play. I thought Herd had no future here but he is proving me wrong.

I know you're not alone in thinking this as I thought that too. And I don't think we're alone in this.

Still early days for the lads but the point is that he's still improving and isn't limited to do one thing like Hogg or maybe Albrighton. Meaning he can still develop and isn't the kind of player that can be found out.

After his debut as rb I wanted to see him play again to see if he could keep going or if it was just an isnpired game for him as it was his debut. But in the last 3 games he's just come better and better. An unexpected important player in our squad who's been with us all the times. Like a new signing... ;)

“A few days after celebrating his first call up for his country, the Aston Villa utility sustained an injury-time ankle injury during Sunday morning’s 3-2 win over Norwich.”

News report

Why do we make players play in injury time? :crylaugh:

His chief attributes are his athleticism, his tackling and his composure in possession - all things severely lacking in the Villa midfield for quite some time. He may not be the finished article but he doesn't look out of his depth at all and if he continues to play, I can see him growing into a key player to build around. His covering play at times on Saturday was excellent and he really picked up the slack and took responsibility for protecting the back four in the latter stages after Petrov had to go off.

His composure in possession and his ability to play the right, simple pass already has him ahead of Delph (on this season's form)/

I am one of his biggest fans, but did anyone else feel that he played a little too deep on Saturday? In a 3 man midfield, he'd have every right to do this, but there were times on Saturday where I felt he should have been involved a little further up the pitch, mainly in the second half.

(Just for the sake of debate)

I am one of his biggest fans, but did anyone else feel that he played a little too deep on Saturday? In a 3 man midfield, he'd have every right to do this, but there were times on Saturday where I felt he should have been involved a little further up the pitch, mainly in the second half.

I thought exactly the same.

However I didn't put it down to herd, I just put it down to that was where he was told to play. I didn't see mcLeish urging him up the pitch.

But I thought that in a 3 man midfield, i.e. him and Petrov more defensive with someone in front of them providing attack from midfield, it would have worked a lot better.

Didn't particularly rate him - and still don't think he is a 'great player' however his energy, strength, and braveness in the tackle - is just whats needed in that area.

I think he was the main reason we hung on v norwich on saturday. His interventions broke up a couple of norwich attacks late on.

I thought exactly the same.

However I didn't put it down to herd, I just put it down to that was where he was told to play. I didn't see mcLeish urging him up the pitch.

But I thought that in a 3 man midfield, i.e. him and Petrov more defensive with someone in front of them providing attack from midfield, it would have worked a lot better.

Indeed, it's difficult to be too damming of his positioning because it was far from clear exactly where Heskey was supposed to be playing. And as you say, McLeish wasnt exactly urging him up the pitch, which is of significance because neither he, nor Black, are at all shy about telling players where they need to be.

I think he stayed back because while probably not told specifically to play so deep, he was told to play the DM role and he was being conservative and making sure he did his duty. I think as he gains more experience and awareness he will feel more comfortable getting more involved in the attacking play at the right moments.

I think the most important thing he brings right now is assurance to the other CMs and attackers that they can be more aggressive because someone is covering. Hopefully when Bannan or Ireland get a chance they can really open up and attack more aggressively.

Â