Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

I would go for a 433 and forget this 442 non sense, with the 3 in the middle of the park being, Cm-Petrov,CM-Ireland,CM-Gardner... with Agbonlahor on the left cutting in on his right foot, Nzogbia on the right cutting in on his Left foot or swap them to and bent up front on his own.. I think this would be quite a good team.

+1

Craig Gardner was in the crowd

Homesick much craig

Craig hired a box for his family as did Barry and Given for Speeds family .

He is a lot more settled at Sunderland now but personally I would have him back

i'd have him back in a heart beat, currently better than anything we have in CM.

people need to get real, he was argueably playing against the best midfield in the league, what do you guys expect? he's got time on his side to improve us, i'm sure he will.
He's played for us against Chelsea, Arsenal, and Newcastle so far this season, so it's not as if this was the first time he came up against good midfield players.

I urge people to set higher standards and expectations for our younger players - at present they are our main hope and it does them no good to be defended to the hilt when their performances are disappointing.

I'm sure everyone knows in their heart of hearts he should have done better against Man C and I expect he feels that the most keenly.

Carig would get in Gary's way. Yet more short term gain for long term loss. Sometimes I wish people would try and see the bigger picture. Well never get anywhere if we keep buying mediocrity and placing it ahead of real potential. I like Craig and I'd have no problem with him coming back if we really needed him. But we don't. He'd be another body in a squad cluttered with mediocre central midfielders. We've waited this long to see Gary come through. Let's leave him in there and let him learn the Premier League.

Agreed - he didn't let anyone down. Whole team struggled to string two passes together but its been like that long before Gardner came in.

Obviously it was tough for him but as the wise sage Neville said it was four against 2 in CM at times. They were chasing shadows

This 100%. It really pee's me of that McTool keeps playing our best kids alongside the frankly unenergetic Stan in a two against three CM'ers. He has already done for Delph by asking him to do this! This is modern PL football and when you come up against a team that plays three in CM unless you have Petit and Viera in their pomp you have to make some sort of provision for this. Of course I wouldn't expect the tactically naive McTool to even register the fact let alone come up with a solution!

people need to get real, he was argueably playing against the best midfield in the league, what do you guys expect? he's got time on his side to improve us, i'm sure he will.
He's played for us against Chelsea, Arsenal, and Newcastle so far this season, so it's not as if this was the first time he came up against good midfield players.

I urge people to set higher standards and expectations for our younger players - at present they are our main hope and it does them no good to be defended to the hilt when their performances are disappointing.

I'm sure everyone knows in their heart of hearts he should have done better against Man C and I expect he feels that the most keenly.

Ridiculous. This was what his second game in the starting line up in the league for Villa? The whole team played poorly and you think he should have done better against a midfield of Barry, De Jong and David Silva!?

It's hard to have a good game in midfield when you rarely see the ball and when you do there are not many options available.

Ridiculous. This was what his second game in the starting line up in the league for Villa? The whole team played poorly and you think he should have done better against a midfield of Barry, De Jong and David Silva!?

It's hard to have a good game in midfield when you rarely see the ball and when you do there are not many options available.

yeah not only the quality he was playing against but just in terms of numbers, gg and stan were outnumbered for 90 mins. gg didn't look out of his depth at all to me.

A 19 year old making his home debut getting slated.

VillaTalk never cease's to amaze me.

You complain of negaitivity on VT when most of the posts are defending him and you only mention the one or two that "slate" him? :winkold:

Sorry, im having a shit day at work. :(

• 2 weeks later...
I thought he was rather poor against Wigan. It did seem that McLeish wanted Bannan and Gardner to play more defensive because he knew how big of a threat Wigan's attack was. :lol::lol:

Goes to show you how badly we need a midfield enforcer doesn't it? I know that Ireland and Zoggy have hardly set the world alight but they would be a better bet than tiny Barry and inexperienced Gary Gardner. FWIW, I think that Gary G will be a very useful player, but he needs looking after by a tough nut.

I don't think he is ready to be starting League games. Certainly not in a side that is low on confidence and struggling. I'd have liked to have seen him make a few more appearances as a sub and introduced him more slowly. It also certainly didn't help yesterday that Bannan was alongside him in a two man centre midfield. It was just as well we were playing Wigan as a decent side would have ripped us to pieces.

Â