Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

The fact he is getting into those positions means he should be starting now. Clark has no place starting against teams we have a chance of winning against, he's a stop gap that provides a bit more bite/aerial prowess. Time for Gardner.

Agree with that. Although his end products were a little disappointing, the way he managed to ghost in and read the play showed a natural attacking ability that is hard to come by. He just needs more game time.

I mentioned in the reactions thread that Clark has really disappointed me and I'm afraid I don't rate him very highly. Never passes forward, touch doesn't look great and his positional awareness is questionable, at least in midfield.

Ciaran is just knackered and a little off form. He's very good player - needs a rest, though.

Not saying he is going to the worlds best player, or even the teams saviour, however, I like the look of him. He is the first midfielder that we have had for a good few yrs (probably looking at Ian Taylor as the last one) who is willing to make a run beyond that of the strikers and get onto balls. Could be very important for the future of the team.

Gutted he didnt score but its as clear as day he's twice the player Clark is. Has Clarks attributes ie touch and passing but is also positive, mobile and strong.

Has to start alongside Petrov

Gardner quite obviously has something about him and looked extremely positive today but to compare Clark to him unfavourably is a disservice to Clark, he is not a midfielder he should be in defence alongside Cueller IMO that is his natural position

The fact he is getting into those positions means he should be starting now. Clark has no place starting against teams we have a chance of winning against, he's a stop gap that provides a bit more bite/aerial prowess. Time for Gardner.

Agree with that. Although his end products were a little disappointing, the way he managed to ghost in and read the play showed a natural attacking ability that is hard to come by. He just needs more game time.

I mentioned in the reactions thread that Clark has really disappointed me and I'm afraid I don't rate him very highly. Never passes forward, touch doesn't look great and his positional awareness is questionable, at least in midfield.

What I first liked about Clark was his composure. However he has gone backwards this season. Looks like a liam ridgewell type.

Gardner must start a few games now. Maybe not man city - but Wigan , Blackburn - yes please.

A cut above. The kid just oozes clas and composure on the ball. A 19 year old kid who comes on and instantly makes an impact. As a few have said, starting him against Man City is brainless, bring him on for the last 10 or 15 minutes to give him a taste against the big boys.

Gutted he didnt score but its as clear as day he's twice the player Clark is. Has Clarks attributes ie touch and passing but is also positive, mobile and strong.

Has to start alongside Petrov

Gardner quite obviously has something about him and looked extremely positive today but to compare Clark to him unfavourably is a disservice to Clark, he is not a midfielder he should be in defence alongside Cueller IMO that is his natural position

Not really as thats where Clark plays at the moment, as for his natural position well the lad wont be any more than an average player in the premiership. He lacks pace and cant even make up for that with strength. For all his technical ability its not much cop if you cant compete physically, which is a shame.

It really is a no brainer to get this kid into the team asap (agreed not against City)

Clark is in the team because he can pass (ish) and can tackle. Looks like Gardner can do both of those and more.

Usually in this situation Gardner would be kept out of the team because "he doesnt have prem experience". But in this case Clark has probably played 10 games in CM so doesnt even have the experience himself. Forget the fact that he's learning a new position while Gardner has played there all his life.

Think he and Petrov could be very good for us. Hope to god we can somehow keep Keane and then who knows maybe we will score as many as we concede

How the **** can Mcleish put Heskey on when he has a his disposal a young exciting midfield in GG chopping at the bit to play?

Clarke is a very good young player but he is a defender primarily so comparing his game to GG's is like comparing Apples and Oranges imo.

We are lucky to have players like these 2 at our club unfortunately right at the time we have the worst manager since Billy McNeil.

I've been calling for Gardner to replace Clark for a while now, and he showed exactly why in his cameo. He makes great runs into the box (to be fair to Ciaran, he does to sometimes...the only thing lacking his his finishing) and he could have had 2 goals. Looked kind of nervous, which is probably why he scuffed his first shot. As he's shown in the reserves, U19 tournament and even the England U21's, he has an eye for goal.

Yup Gardner for Clark is the logical move. We look better when he plays. He plays box to box and passes confidently. He got himself in 2 good positions when he cam on, which is more than any other CM did for the whole game. Coupled with the Wolves game where he missed the header it shows that he has a natural ability to make runs, which we need.

As I say it is simple. We look more dangerous when he plays.

Â