Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

If he doesn't kick on from here then , it ain't never going to happen . If he is honest to himself he knows he's fortunate to still be donning the claret and blue ,I can only assume .that someone high up at the club had a soft spot for him ,otherwise ,I believe ,he would of been considered surplus to requirements . As it is ,it seems he's now enjoying his football ,under a manager who obviously sees in him something he likes .

I remember when he was ripping it up for England U21 and the talk was of the new Gerrard . Fingers crossed ,with a long run of games he can now start fulfilling some of that potential .

14 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I remember when he was ripping it up for England U21 and the talk was of the new Gerrard . Fingers crossed ,with a long run of games he can now start fulfilling some of that potential .

Did I just hear "future England captain"? 

:trollface:

I think he has always been good enough but with the injuries that he has suffered that must be at the back of his mind.

This season, he knew it was going to be a big year at Villa for him.

Playing for the team you support, knowing that injuries have prevented him playing for several season & then throw in the mix playing in a poor team...

Bruce coming in, he knows what he has in Gardner and he will only get better in the weeks and months ahead.....so long as he doesn't get injured.

• 2 weeks later...

Seen many moments in the game when he was marking fresh air.....just one aspect, I know, but he must do better in picking up his opposite number and imposing himself on the game.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Not in the game tonight but he's been decent under Bruce . 

He has been better, granted.

Consistency is what we are all looking for, but the early stages of consistency is when you have a below par game, try and make sure its not too poor other wise the gap between your good games and bad games is too wide.

I have always maintained a player will always have a bad day, but anonymous is not acceptable, the least any pro footballer can offer is a shift or a physical presence.

its early days though.

Edited by TRO

untill Bacuna/Tish/Lyden are back and/or we buy better we gonna have to trust him for a few games at least.

He & Westwood ran a lot and covered a lot of ground by blocking off avenues. (wow a AW compliment) which is what Bruce wants, so at this level I'm not fussed as we have talent up front (excluding GA)

Against lesser teams we shouldnt be using him if Bacuna, Tish or Lyden are involved

Edited by Grasshopper

On 11/19/2016 at 18:27, sidcow said:

I think he's a good squad option but for me really shouldn't be starting unless we have injuries to better players. 

See I dont agree with this...yet.

We dont really know what he can do for us, he simply hasn't had time to settle yet.

He has done ok up to this point, and that warrants a longer turnout in the first team.  Only then will we allow us (and him) to find out what he can offer.

I'd give him the rest of this season to prove he can make it but for me he needs to start being more positive. He needs to be getting on free kicks around the box he should be having more shots these little things for me show he's still getting his confidence up. As a kid he was the leader he needs to start doing that for us. His game has improved and he may be better suited long term as the defensive midfielder but for now I think there's more to come. 

• Like 1

I think there's always extra pressure when a player comes through the academy, particularly when they're local. He's had a tough time in recent years but he's beginning to show his true worth now, I think he's always had the ability, it's not long ago that he was rated alongside Wilshere, Shelvey and John Bostock, the last name there might be unknown to some posters but as a youth, he was brilliant

3 hours ago, Nigel said:

See I dont agree with this...yet.

We dont really know what he can do for us, he simply hasn't had time to settle yet.

He has done ok up to this point, and that warrants a longer turnout in the first team.  Only then will we allow us (and him) to find out what he can offer.

I think you misunderstand me. He should start now but if we want to push on we need to invest in a really top midfielder in January to replace him. 

On ‎21‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 15:56, dn1982 said:

I'd give him the rest of this season to prove he can make it

I think he's already shown that he's not up to it and certainly isn't premier league quality. One to be sold next summer.

3 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I think he's already shown that he's not up to it and certainly isn't premier league quality. One to be sold next summer.

That's pretty strange seeing as him coming back into the team coincided with our turn around and in some of those games he was the driving force to get us a result. He's more than good enough for this league as he's proven for Forest it's whether he can get better with better players and rise to the challenge as we climb. 

• Like 2

On 21/11/2016 at 16:51, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think there's always extra pressure when a player comes through the academy, particularly when they're local. He's had a tough time in recent years but he's beginning to show his true worth now, I think he's always had the ability, it's not long ago that he was rated alongside Wilshere, Shelvey and John Bostock, the last name there might be unknown to some posters but as a youth, he was brilliant

giggle.gif

I love you sgc but you come out with some pearlers at times.

:)

Â