Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

Has he ever started a game under Lambert?

No he's been injured for the vast majority of his tenure

so you would think he deserves some match time then - but seeing as we hoofed both cups up the wall there is no likelihood of game time as Lambert loves Westwood and his weak set pieces - and that's the only player I could see him replacing, i.e. the type of defensive holding midfielder that does neither of those things.

Everytime a striker is injured Lambert plays Kea or Tonev, I think he would rather sleep with the ghost of jimmy saville than play Gardener or Helenius, if things get desperate his go to 15 min cameo man is Bowery

Ah, the old ask a question then use the response to bring up and argue a completely different point (a point also irrelevant to the original reply).

Because we haven't seen enough threads get derailed into Lambert arguments recently...

Clearly better than El Ahmadi and Sylla.

Lambert is underestimating his ability.

He hasn't given him a chance.

Letting him go would be a mistake.

Completely different type of player though.

not only clearly better than them but clearly better than westwood too, as i am still unsure what westwood actually does for us, cant tackle, cant take set pieces and his passing is not very good.

I'd have a fit GG starting ahead of anyone midfielder we have except Delph

Not sure what you are basing this on.

I am definitely not a fan of our midfield, but he has not shown anything when given a chance to indicate that he is any better. 

not only clearly better than them but clearly better than westwood too, as i am still unsure what westwood actually does for us, cant tackle, cant take set pieces and his passing is not very good.

I am definitely not a fan of our midfield, but he has not shown anything when given a chance to indicate that he is any better. 

And when in the past 2 and half years has he been given this chance? It takes a while to get going again after long injury lay off's and my worry is we'll let him go and then he'll eventually get going again and we'll have another gary cahill on our hands.

I've had the pleasure of watching him a good number of times for the reserves when he was super fit. Even then he was mature beyond his years and a very dangerous attacking midfielder. If he can get back to being super fit we will have a real player on our hands.

Or we might have another Barry Bannan on our hands? Without having seen him it's largely hypothetical, but the Cahill situation is the exception rather than the rule. It's just everyone remembers Cahill because it was such a bad decision.

Everyone remembers the Cahill one because we all knew he was good and had great potential and shouldn't have been sold. Much like Gardner we have seen great things through his youth here and has stood out as the one to watch, he hasn't been given a chance and Id hate to see him go to someone else and get game time as it could bite us in the ass. I cant see why he seems to be so far behind KEA, Westwood, Sylla, even Tonev. 

And when in the past 2 and half years has he been given this chance? It takes a while to get going again after long injury lay off's and my worry is we'll let him go and then he'll eventually get going again and we'll have another gary cahill on our hands.

Well, that is my point. He has had limited chances, but in my opinion has not shown anything. Based on the same appearances you are saying he is better than all of our midfielders except Delph.

so you would think he deserves some match time then - but seeing as we hoofed both cups up the wall there is no likelihood of game time as Lambert loves Westwood and his weak set pieces - and that's the only player I could see him replacing, i.e. the type of defensive holding midfielder that does neither of those things.

Everytime a striker is injured Lambert plays Kea or Tonev, I think he would rather sleep with the ghost of jimmy saville than play Gardener or Helenius, if things get desperate his go to 15 min cameo man is Bowery

Ah, the old ask a question then use the response to bring up and argue a completely different point (a point also irrelevant to the original reply).

Because we haven't seen enough threads get derailed into Lambert arguments recently

It is impossible to debate the current situation around Gary Gardener's role at the club without speculating about Lambert's reasoning and motives and who he would or could replace in the team.

you also seem to be the only one infering an argument which didn't occur after my above post.

For a balanced view, we don't know what Lambert does or doesn't see with Gardener. I don't think Gardener has ever really played enough to show his value to the team for numerous reasons. He might well have just never recovered from his various terrible injuries and not be showing anything in training to suggest he should start.

We all want him to get the chance as he was one of our most promising youth players for a very long time and it is right we want him to succeed, and also because he's never played under Lambert other than in preseason and his contract is ending.

Most like me think our midfield lacks creativity and composure and pray that Gardener could fill that gap, I have no idea if he could, i don't really know what type of midfielder he is anymore.

I hope he gets a chance at the very least before he leaves the club.

• Like 1

For those who have seen him play extensively, what does he bring to the table?

What makes him so good?

I've seen him play a number of times at under 19"s and reserve level. Gary is a more technically gifted version of his brother Craig. He's also bigger, a bit quicker and more controlled temperamentally. Like Craig he has a good shot on him (with both feet) and his shots tend to hit the target. He is good running with the ball, and he takes a mean free kick. He always wants the ball, and doesn't go missing in matches. I don't know how his injuries will have affected his abilities, but sending him out on loan will soon reveal whether he can get back to his best. If he can, we've got a good prospect.

Edited by villabromsgrove
  • Like 1

Because we haven't seen enough threads get derailed into Lambert arguments recently

It is impossible to debate the current situation around Gary Gardener's role at the club without speculating about Lambert's reasoning and motives and who he would or could replace in the team.

you also seem to be the only one infering an argument which didn't occur after my above post.

For a balanced view, we don't know what Lambert does or doesn't see with Gardener. I don't think Gardener has ever really played enough to show his value to the team for numerous reasons. He might well have just never recovered from his various terrible injuries and not be showing anything in training to suggest he should start.

We all want him to get the chance as he was one of our most promising youth players for a very long time and it is right we want him to succeed, and also because he's never played under Lambert other than in preseason and his contract is ending.

Most like me think our midfield lacks creativity and composure and pray that Gardener could fill that gap, I have no idea if he could, i don't really know what type of midfielder he is anymore.

I hope he gets a chance at the very least before he leaves the club.

I think that is the reality of the situation

I fear Gary Gardner's chance at a top flight career in football has gone.

I say this because he has become too injury prone and he has not actually improved since he was a young kid.

Wilshire and Ramsey might well say that he was the best of the three of them but, they have both stepped up and improved their games.

I know the horrible run of injuries he has suffered may well be behind him standing still, as it were, so as has been suggested by others on this thread, maybe giving him a one or two year extension on his contract and then loaning him out to a league two outfit for half a year, then moving him to a league one team for the remainder of the year, might give him a good chance to show what he can do. 

Â