Match Thread

wedge

Hard to take any positives out of that disjointed/shapeless first 45. Given aside it's been pretty woeful stuff.

But its only a friendly

Very disapointed with Ireland and Delfouneso in the main.

Just watched the first half and not overly impressed. Not so much with the players but the tactics. We got caught cold that sort of thing happens but we are giving up so much ground. If I was to have a guess I would say the team tactics are once we lose the ball drop back into your own half to defend. Our players are dropping way too deep and are too far apart; they need to work closer together to get something out of this. The players haven't played together much and are learning a new system so I'll give them a bit of time to settle down. Some important practice time coming up over the next two weeks.

Saying that Chelsea are playing very well.

We've also had a day's less rest than Chelsea. A big factor when players have played their first game of preseason in a sauna.

They actually played after us, so we have had a couple hours more rest.

Yeah we haven't been great but Chelsea are further in their pre-season, are generally a better team, we're a team without our best two attacking players. Chelsea are also prepared, I heard Villas boas talk about Di Matteo doing analysing on us ...that's for a pre-season friendly. You get the feeling, especially with Ireland telling people to push up etc...that in reality, we've just gone out there to get minutes under the belt and little more.

Not surprisingly the stronger, better, more prepared, fitter team are winning. It's not going to be surprising if Chelsea win the Premiership this year, we've lost to them 7-1 before and that was when we challenged for 4th place so I don't think losing to Chelsea is some marker of how the season is going to go.

Not to say I wouldn't like to see more in the performance and we need to strengthen but certainly aren't going to write our team off because we're losing to a very strong Chelsea team.

Delfouneso - useless out wide and not good enough to command a place up front

Albrighton - not good enough today and must still be regarded as a squad player

Ireland - Fulfilling the promise of last season

Delph - Still can't see what we paid £6m for

We need to sign Dann, Parker and a wide man as soon as possible

I have got no problem with us being the poorer team (lets face it, Chelsea are in a different league) but some players look like they can't be bothered.

Which players?

Ireland defensively has been a joke. He's not closing down and just jogging between players. Incredibly frustrating.

It's absolute doddle intercepting a ball being passed around between a Chelsea midfield 3 consisting of Lampard, Mikel and McEachran in ridiculous humidity. You should try it yourself.

#greatfans

That's of course what I'm saying. He should intercept every pass by them, otherwise he's poor. No need for the condescending tone.

Maybe he should TRY to close them down and the others of course as well and then we wouldn't be constantly raped in midfield?

Intercept every pass? Unbelievable. Just try and put yourself in that position. It's his second game of pre-season, his first in those conditions after a hamstring injury and you expect him to intercept every pass in one of the Premier League's best midfields? Maybe Delph and Petrov should push forward a bit more and help him out for a start. But then again, it's pre-season and **** awful conditions on a crap pitch - it is not the time to start with the 'they're not good enough' bollox. Save that for Fulham.

Delfouneso has been fine, but needs to be in the middle.

Yes! Gabby is an absolute no mark leading the line. He has been absolutely shit and for me this has been the case since he bulked up but what do I know. We look **** desperate out there now but **** it hey everything will sort itself out for the league right? AMc won't have us playing toothless 4-5-1 like he is now, like he did with BCFC all the **** time.

My mom said if you can't say owt nice, say nothing, so...

4900e8ae8268648d0c41c82e58b6f4455dd0d3b6_m.gif

There's no point criticising Gabby, Fonz or Ireland, they are not the ball winners, they are the ones who should be receiving passes. Our centre midfield is just being destroyed, resulting in our attack not getting any chances and our defence being overrun.

Delph and Fonz dont look confident, and Ireland hasn't changed, so the midfield is quite disjointed which doesnt help Alby or Gaby. I'd say get Heskey, Makoun and Bannan on, and get Delph, Fonz and Ireland off.

On the plus side Warnock and Given are playing well

Delfouneso has been fine, but needs to be in the middle.

Yes! Gabby is an absolute no mark leading the line. He has been absolutely shit and for me this has been the case since he bulked up but what do I know. We look **** desperate out there now but **** it hey everything will sort itself out for the league right? AMc won't have us playing toothless 4-5-1 like he is now, like he did with BCFC all the **** time.

I agree - he's made/ making the exact same mistake Vassell did in my opinion. Completely ruining the main aspect of his game by obsessively bulking up.

I get that it's only a friendly, and against Chelsea, but I'm struggling for positives to take away from that. I think the formation and way we are playing needs an overhaul (yes based on a huge 45 mins of watching! :lol: ), but some poor performance (hopefully pre-season fitness related) aren't really helping either.

and just to point out, although long ball could very well be the case in various games this season, it isn't as easy as saying 'why don't we keep it, pass it short' etc....unfortunately it's not that easy. Especially since Chelsea have pressed high up the pitch and we haven't really got the players who are willing to get the ball, protect it, use it quickly and play around the Chelsea midfield, especially on this pitch.

We've also had a day's less rest than Chelsea. A big factor when players have played their first game of preseason in a sauna.

They actually played after us, so we have had a couple hours more rest.

Exactly - why should Chelsea be sharper than us. We both kick off in two weeks. We should be equally ready

Pitiful

It's not so much that we're playing against Chelsea and I think we should try and avoid using the lame 'weather condition' excuses. That was disgraceful. Every single one of them. Never seen such utter shit like that for a while, that's for sure...

I have to second that, that was shocking clueless football. I cant even see what they are trying to do????

After watching the Blackburn game and this 45 mins my only conclusion is that if Bent gets injured we are **** and we have no midfield at all. Petrov aint doing much and I have no idea what Delph is doing and I dont think he does either.

We need to find some money for Scott Parker and/or Joey Barton IMO