Match Thread

wedge

I don't know why people are saying 'it's only a friendly', especially 2 weeks before the season starts. We should really be in full swing now ready to take it into the season, with only a handfull of pre-season games left. We should be playing the football we intend to be playing against Fulham in a few weeks; and if this is it, then it's pretty shocking. Hoof-in-hell.

It's not so much that we're playing against Chelsea and I think we should try and avoid using the lame 'weather condition' excuses. That was disgraceful. Every single one of them. Never seen such utter shit like that for a while, that's for sure...

overall - anonymous midfield ( disgrace we do not buy a quality CM )

we will get murdered by teams who can keep the ball all season long.

other than that...

defence is solid enough

delfouneso will never make the grade

gabby looks like he's lost more pace

given looks in form

dunne has played quite well, bar the goal

We really need a defensive midfielder. I can see alot of opponents walking through our midfield with ease.

Of course! Because Petrov is shit and NRC was the most consistent player we had last season, but if people on here want to big up Petrov till the cows come home because it floats their boat while we continue to lose matches and AVFC want to let a player like NRC go to Bolton as a free agent and not replace him because they think Petrov is an awesome dude and can totally do a job of breaking up play then what the **** can I do about it other than bitch and moan every game it happens and hear people bullshit on about how awesome a player Petrov is.

Well said.

I have got no problem with us being the poorer team (lets face it, Chelsea are in a different league) but some players look like they can't be bothered.

Which players?

Ireland defensively has been a joke. He's not closing down and just jogging between players. Incredibly frustrating.

It's absolute doddle intercepting a ball being passed around between a Chelsea midfield 3 consisting of Lampard, Mikel and McEachran in ridiculous humidity. You should try it yourself.

#greatfans

That's of course what I'm saying. He should intercept every pass by them, otherwise he's poor. No need for the condescending tone.

Maybe he should TRY to close them down and the others of course as well and then we wouldn't be constantly raped in midfield?

I don't know why people are saying 'it's only a friendly', especially 2 weeks before the season starts. We should really be in full swing now ready to take it into the season, with only a handfull of pre-season games left. We should be playing the football we intend to be playing against Fulham in a few weeks; and if this is it, then it's pretty shocking. Hoof-in-hell.

I will just quote this off the previous page.

Chelsea gave played 5 matches this pre season, Villa have just played 2, probably the biggest problem for the team today.

Few players today that severely lack any real playing time (Ireland, Delph and Delfouneso especially) and it's showing.

However, we're without Bent up top and dare I say it, Makoun in the middle alongside Petrov. I think his one touch passing today would relieve a bit of the pressure heaped on our midfield.

From what i've seen there's no real width or tempo to our play but maybe that's because we're getting closed down by a well organised Chelsea team?

Pitch looks shit though!

Delfouneso has been fine, but needs to be in the middle.

Yes! Gabby is an absolute no mark leading the line. He has been absolutely shit and for me this has been the case since he bulked up but what do I know. We look **** desperate out there now but **** it hey everything will sort itself out for the league right? AMc won't have us playing toothless 4-5-1 like he is now, like he did with BCFC all the **** time.

quote from the general

Top 4 is absolutely our goal...and I honestly think that we will do it. We will strengthen the squad again, everyone will be settled in and comfortable...we will be huge"!

Really....!

When he say this? Top 4 in a different league to us, Chelsea are having a field trip here.

Oh he said it alright in his thread (page 133 I think) "....I see us finishing as high as 4th.....we have a very very exciting squad"

Ludicrous!!!

Delfouneso has been fine, but needs to be in the middle.

I actually think he's been by far our best attacking threat. That's not saying much but at least he's trying.

my big worry is the gap between midfield and attack. ireland is just getting by-passed and he hasnt done anything to change it himself. delfouneso is technically very good but crossing is poor and boswinga knows he is going to cut in every time.

frustrating but not as bad as some people are making it out to be!

It has been dreadful but try not to get to disheartened if we lose here... This is about fitness and getting the team playing some games together. This is our third game of the pre-season and we have already beaten a premier league team. Chelsea have been out in HK longer than us so have had longer to acclimatise aswell.

Don't forget, this probably won't be the way we play come the start of the season and we still have our new signing, N'Zogbia to fit in as well.

This is fine, let's just support the team for **** sakes.

in this game most of the players have been. why make excuses for a shit performance? what good does it do to pretend we are playing well?

It's a pre-season friendly used to find weaknesses in the side, and we're finding them out. If you get so pissed over a nothing game I worry for you. McLeish will certainly learn more right now then he did in the Blackburn game.

if that is the case, why do some posters feel the need to lie and pretend it is going well today or making excuses?

finding weakness? well EVERYONE with any common sense was worried that AM would go to his tried and failed technique of hoof ball and so far in the 2 games shown in hot weather where anyone with an ounce of common sense would keep the ball to feat with short passing, we have hoofed it more often than not.

not realy identifying a weakness, it was there plain and clear to see from the second he was appointed.

we have shown we can pass the ball but too little times we have done it.

fonz has had 7 chances to get the ball in, he has 2 times striaght to the fiorst defender and failed with the rest

very very disapointing with the style of play

again if it is a friendly, why would we be hoofball?

why not play it around, it is a friendly, why resort to hoofball all the time?