Murdoch Scum

snowychap

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

My point is that it's absolutely galling for this man to constantly cash his Murdoch cheques on the one hand, while doing a so-sad-isn't-it-terrible face on the other.

I don't have to like the ****, and I don't.

Ok. Me either 🙂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blandy said:

Ok. Me either 🙂

To be less emotional and more rational about it, my basic feeling is that any discussion of why 'mainstream politics' does not help with this situation which doesn't mention the media, and primarily the organisation he works for, isn't worth the paper it's written on.

I appreciate that there is always a danger of blaming things on 'the media' and then assuming it's job done, and you are of course right that there are many many many people who just have very horrible opinions about this topic and they wouldn't all change their minds if News International disappeared tomorrow, but on this topic *especially* we do live in a world which decades of relentless demonisation of asylum seekers through the print media (and now increasingly the BBC) has made.

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

we do live in a world which decades of relentless demonisation of asylum seekers through the print media

Largely the Express and Daily Mail to be fair. Obviously the Sun is horrible too. I’m not so sure beyond that, for the UK press. I’ve not noticed the BBC demonising asylum seekers, though I don’t really watch BBC news, just get the odd 2 minute radio bulletins.

I tend to think BBC News occasionally appears racist, transphobic, homophobic and all the other phobics purely on the basis that it's their one job to reflect the people and the government of the time. They are not here to critique, nor should we expect them to. Just report. If everything seems shit then I know it's because it probably is shit

Although there are of course times when even that seems beyond them. 

Just now, blandy said:

Largely the Express and Daily Mail to be fair. Obviously the Sun is horrible too. I’m not so sure beyond that, for the UK press. I’ve not noticed the BBC demonising asylum seekers, though I don’t really watch BBC news, just get the odd 2 minute radio bulletins.

The Sun have a long and bad track record on this topic, and The Times are not much better; that cartoon was from them, and frankly it's no different from a UKIP campaign poster. i of course agree that The Express and The Mail are also terrible.

The Beeb have devoted a reporter to covering channel crossings, which is a completely justifiable editorial decision, but he - @SimonJonesNews - IMO tends to produce sensationalised reports which don't do enough to place the numbers in context of the scale of migration to Europe, and provides a frequently uncritical (not critical as in 'that's bad', but critical as in looking at multiple perspectives) take on tough on border crossings announcements. I suppose I should say that I don't follow everything the guy does so maybe he does better reports when I'm not watching, but I have been really unimpressed with what I've seen.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

The Times are not much better; that cartoon was from them,

I confess to not “getting” that Cartoon. What’s a ferry full of people got to do with Liverpool?  I assume they are meant to be migrants and obviously Corbyn driving them….across the Mersey. Was it a conference in Liverpool, did he announce some kind of “soft” (in media terminology) policy on migrants?

I saw a book once, or magazine maybe, full of Brookes cartoons and they were mostly superb, skewering everyone. Similar to Dave Brown in the Indie. For that reason I wouldn’t condemn the Times based on a single cartoon.  I don’t buy it, but when I’ve read articles or grabbed one lying around on a train or plane or wherever it’s always seemed very non-Murdochy. The Sunday Times, is though.

On 25/11/2021 at 14:37, blandy said:

I confess to not “getting” that Cartoon. What’s a ferry full of people got to do with Liverpool?  I assume they are meant to be migrants and obviously Corbyn driving them….across the Mersey. Was it a conference in Liverpool, did he announce some kind of “soft” (in media terminology) policy on migrants?

I saw a book once, or magazine maybe, full of Brookes cartoons and they were mostly superb, skewering everyone. Similar to Dave Brown in the Indie. For that reason I wouldn’t condemn the Times based on a single cartoon.  I don’t buy it, but when I’ve read articles or grabbed one lying around on a train or plane or wherever it’s always seemed very non-Murdochy. The Sunday Times, is though.

Re the ferry, I assume it's going across the Mersey for no other reason than the song of the same name. I believe it was released at a point when the press had decided that Corbyn was 'soft' on migrants (I think it was in 2016?), yes.

Just on The Times and their attitude to migrants, I see that their house 'liberal Tory' columnist Matthew Parris is in it today and appears to be suggesting 're-examining' (repealing? dunno, don't have a subscription) the Geneva convention:

FFJP3T_WYAEoSYX?format=jpg&name=900x900

(https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/its-time-we-re-examined-our-obligation-to-refugees-pdq5xzcfg)

Edited by HanoiVillan

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Shame no one has the bottle to speak this way on TV or in the media anymore. How life has changed.

There are plenty and probably many more people prepared to say such things publically. They just don't get the opportunity or the coverage in....

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, bickster said:

There are plenty and probably many more people prepared to say such things publically. They just don't get the opportunity or the coverage in....

No one of importance or the social profile Cloughy had. An there's much more opportunity now, than there was back then.

29 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

No one of importance or the social profile Cloughy had. An there's much more opportunity now, than there was back then.

There's plenty, you just need to look harder and look in the right places.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 25/11/2021 at 11:26, HanoiVillan said:

Always the most galling thing about News International is the sheer shamelessness. Here is one of their employees, burnishing his humanist credentials on the morning after dozens died attempting to cross the Channel:

Hmmm, why on Earth could anyone 'in mainstream politics' feel afraid to challenge said failed strategy?

Coincidentally, this cartoon appeared in David's paper a couple of years ago:

FFBXLnXVQAAcXiC?format=jpg&name=900x900

Why does this fear of the topic exist? Hmm, truly a three-pipe problem eh David.

Looks like their cartoonist has decided that migrants are Good Now for some reason:

FNfXY3SWQAAJSjb?format=jpg&name=large

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...
Â