What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

30 years ago I caught a bus to Herrick and Watson's record shop in Skegness, bought this tape off the back of Loaded. At the time I felt it was way too dancey for me even though I loved Loaded. Probably still feel the same, but when I got rid of my tapes I replaced this on CD. Today it's playing but in all honesty I genuinely prefer both Primal Scream and Sonic Flower Groove. 

Screamadelica_album_cover.jpg

• Like 3

Malaysia or Hong Kong original pressing.  One of the best definitions of heavy rock this album is. Not much if any at all was heavier than this in 1970 on its release . Very good condition and cheap too.

26EC157C-EC34-406C-A606-1B565F875A99.jpeg

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Seat68 said:

30 years ago I caught a bus to Herrick and Watson's record shop in Skegness, bought this tape off the back of Loaded. At the time I felt it was way too dancey for me even though I loved Loaded. Probably still feel the same, but when I got rid of my tapes I replaced this on CD. Today it's playing but in all honesty I genuinely prefer both Primal Scream and Sonic Flower Groove. 

It's a funny album, a reflection of the time. It certainly marks a change point in the bands direction but I've also heard some absolutely over the top reactions to it of late with the anniversary coming up. "Started the Indie Dance crossover" - nope, that was already well underway, it was post Madchester breaking out into the mainstream. Even in terms of just Loaded I've heard it stated that it launched Wetherall's production career - again, nope, he'd already done the Club Mix of Hallelujah with Oakenfold / Osborne. "Set the template for other bands to follow" - no it really didn't, that was already out there and it wasn't just Wetherall, Wetherall did not start this as I've also seen. Oakenfold/Osbourne, Terry Farley and quite a few others were already doing this. Club mixes / Dub mixes were already very much a thing in Indietown

RIght, now I've got that off my chest, it is a great album, produced by a very talented man. It's a standout album of its genre and time but for me it has always been something a bit disjointed, it doesn't quite flow as it should do and comes across as a collection of experiments with no clear plan. On the one hand you have Moving On Up, Loaded and Come Together (yep the first three singles) all reasonably dance paced songs surrounded by more dubby sonic experiments, it's all a bit yang and yang and doesn't quite flow as an album should. I like everything on it, not a duff track but just can't listen to it as an album

I'm the opposite of you though, I much prefer the albums that followed it but I don't think they'd have got to those albums without doing this

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I have Sonic Flower Groove on CD, it’s not for me I’m afraid, bought backwards after I’d bought Screamadelica.

Whereas Screamadelica, I’ve just recently splashed out on a new copy because the old one was a bit tired. I’ll resist the £124 version released today though.

Demodelica coming out in a few weeks, I can see me getting a copy of that.

When I first bought this it was way out of my usual listening, but I loved it. Just recently picked up the RSD re rerelease of the Dixie Narco 12” EP. Which I’d actually sort of forgotten, included the track Screamadelica, which didn’t make it on to the album, Screamadelica.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, bickster said:

They are all the same song

The hits album. Her verdict: boring shit. She did have Nirvana's 'In Utero' lined up next, but I've now taken over the kitchen for the washing up, and normal service is resumed: 

519uCx4ioyL._AC_SY450_.jpg

Just now, mjmooney said:

The hits album. Her verdict: boring shit. She did have Nirvana's 'In Utero' lined up next, but I've now taken over the kitchen for the washing up, and normal service is resumed: 

In Utero is far better than Nevermind. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Rode by the Village Vanguard on the way out of New York the other day and lamented the fact that I've never made it inside to see music when I've been in town over the years.  A lot of jazz greats recorded albums there.  

• Like 1

Â