• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

I know someone who knows somebody else that is quite friendly with a person who once walked past Villa park, and they told there best friends wife that another person they knew had seen Big Phil Scolari in Brazil and he said that he didn't want the Villa job

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know someone who knows somebody else that is quite friendly with a person who once walked past Villa park, and they told there best friends wife that another person they knew had seen Big Phil Scolari in Brazil and he said that he didn't want the Villa job

Are you just saying that to put everyone off the scent though

I am off to the bookies to but 365k on Scolari right now

owen coyle has dropped to 5/2 on skybet. The PE teacher thing might be BS but someone has definatley been putting money on him.

If thats the height of our ambition then we are shagged

I think he'd be a good long-term appointment...like when Everton got Moyes (only difference is Owen Coyle got a small northern team promoted to the Prem and Moyes didn't!!)

I dont like him, sorry but I think he is a step in the wrong direction.

A club of our size should be aiming higher and have better ambition than appointing somebody who has been a manager for about 5 mins and who hasnt achieved much.

Yes he got Burnley promoted but there are plenty of managers who have got promotion from the championship.

If promotion from the championship is the benchmark then lets get Neil Warnock in!!!!!!

I am convinced that the shock is ‘Ranieri’ and I would be pleased with that. Fits the criteria in that he has Premier League experience, is out of a job and has been reasonably successful without actually winning much.

Just been to Ladbrookes and William Hills both of whom didn’t have him on their markets but when a call was made from both bookies I was only offerred 16-1 and 25-1 respectively. I took 50-1 on Paddypower and hope that my hunch is right! Thoughts on Ranieri?

For the record Steve Maclaren is no doubt a superb coach & manager.. you don't get Middlesborough winning trophies if you are not nor do you win a championship abroad with a team like Twente!

Not for the want of slating McClaren for the hell of it, more simply to provide some perspective here; he didn't get Middlesbrough "winning trophies" as such, they won the League Cup once off the back of an admittedly solid performance against Arsenal in the semis but needed a good deal of luck and a penalty shoot-out to get past both Spurs and Everton. Their league form under McClaren was generally poor (39% win ratio, I believe); something that could quite easily be overlooked due to their UEFA Cup run of 05/06.

Not to play down that acheivement, but scrutinise their European campaign and arguably the only two teams of genuine quality 'Boro came up against en route to the final (Roma and VfB Stuttgart) were dispatched on away goals. Whilst both of their '4 goal comebacks' in the quarter & semi-finals made great viewing, one might argue that teams of superior defensive calibre than FC Basel and Steaua Bucharest would not have been so susceptible to the rather bombastic tactic of throwing 4 strikers on the pitch and hoping for the best.

For me, the manner in which 'Boro were so ruthlessly dispatched by Sevilla in the final would seem to suggest that they somewhat rode their luck to get as far as they did. Still, 'you make your own luck' and 'you can only beat the teams put in front of you' may be tired clichés but their relevance is not to be overlooked, so huzzah to McClaren for that achievement.

So, onto McClaren's tenure and league title at FC Twente, arguably his greatest achievement domestically. The cynic might argue the inferior quality of the Eredivisie lessens this accomplishment somewhat, or that McClaren's job was made easier by the groundwork laid down by his predecessor Fred Rutten (in the seasons prior to McClaren's appointment, Rutten had transformed FC Twente from mid-table mediocrity to challengers in top 4) but McClaren still impressed in turning those contenders into champions within two seasons.

All the more impressive when you consider he had to contend with the loss of key players such as Orlando Engelaar, Marko Arnautovic, Eljero Elia and Edson Braafheid. Indeed, McClaren made some very astute acquisitions of his own. Players such as Cheik Tioté, Theo Janssen, Bryan Ruiz and Luuk de Jong were brought in, and it certainly makes for intriguing rumination to note the current fortunes of aforementioned players; Tioté was allegedly courted by Chelsea after an impressive debut season in the Premiership, Janssen has been snapped up by Ajax, Ruiz is a much-coveted player throughout Europe's major leagues and de Jong is considered among the finer of Netherlands' young talents.

A 'lesser' league the Eredivisie might be, but few would question VfL Wolfburg's appointment of McClaren last season off the back of such success. Unfortunately this is where his fortunes take not so much a turn, more a complete nose-dive.

McClaren's time in Germany was nothing short of a disaster. VfL Wolfsburg only managed 5 wins under McClaren and were in such a state following his February dismissal that they only ensured their Liga.1 survival on the last day of the campaign. The departure of Zvjezdan Misimović at the start of the campaign was admittedly a blow, but considering the amount of money spent on bolstering the squad the performances were woefully unacceptable. An interesting case would be that of Mario Mandžukić; the striker brought in from Dinamo Zagreb for €7m who couldn't find the net once under McClaren, but in the aftermath of the managerial departure went on a scoring spree that arguably saved VfL Wolfsburg from the drop.

Ultimately, for me McClaren's a no-go and that's without considering his stint as England manager (or the plethora of body-shots served up by the media on a regular basis). For my money, studying international form is never an accurate indicator of domestic potential anyway; plenty have been successful at club level yet flopped on the international stage or vice-versa (especially in regards to the seemingly poisoned chalice that is the England job). I don't care about the brolly, I don't think he's a wally but I do think McClaren is not good enough for Aston Villa.

Owen Coyle's achievements in 8 years of football management

Honours

Burnley

* 2008–09: The Championship Playoff Winner (promotion to the Premier League) – Burnley

* The Championship Manager of the Month - September 2008

Bolton Wanderers

* Premier League Manager of the Month - November 2010

WOW

I think that says it all really NO THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

jonny-recession wrote:

Hearing that the board again are looking for someone with Premiership experience one name that seems to have slipped under radar seems to be Claudio Ranieri. Out of work since Feb if im not mistaken and IMO didnt do that much wrong in England and set it up for Mourinho at Chelsea. I would be more than happy with him at least we wouldnt be able to guess the team week in week out

To be honest, I think that was the cause of a lot of our problems in the early part of last season.

Sorry I should have made it clear that was tongue in cheek. The more I think about it he could really work. He plays functional football in such a way that he adapts his tactics and teams to suit situations which is something that for Villa to progress i think we need to be able to do. We have been far too one dimensional in recent times which has lead us to some good results but also it leaves us lacking against lesser teams who defend defend defend. His record of transfers isnt too shabby. At Chelsea he signed Cech, Lampard, Makelele, Gallas, Robben to name a few and he got them playing well. Also he is credited with bringing through Terry and Huth.

Randy, pick up the phone and call Mr Van Gaal

If I had van Gaal's number I'd ring it and put on a dodgy American accent and appoint him myself!!!! 8)

Do some of us seriously want O'Neill back?

Get over it!

Van Gaal has done well with an academy based team in Ajax, in the past. Wouldn't mind him.

Benitez has got a good CV, although I'm not keen on him personally I do think he could be a good appointment as he has a lot to prove.

Moyes is good but I can't see it happening.

Coyle did well with Burnley and Bolton considering the status of each club, could be good for us.

I'm edging toward the fat spanish waiter and I suppose I will accept him becaused he would be our fat spanish waiter.

If O'Neill comes back I'll eat my hat.

PS Ignore the bookies they're not interested who takes over as long as they make a quick buck and they make that buck by choosing a new favourite the longer the charade goes on. Has Randy got shares in Coral???????

Do some of us seriously want O'Neill back?

Get over it!

Van Gaal has done well with an academy based team in Ajax, in the past. Wouldn't mind him.

Benitez has got a good CV, although I'm not keen on him personally I do think he could be a good appointment as he has a lot to prove.

Moyes is good but I can't see it happening.

Coyle did well with Burnley and Bolton considering the status of each club, could be good for us.

I'm edging toward the fat spanish waiter and I suppose I will accept him becaused he would be our fat spanish waiter.

If O'Neill comes back I'll eat my hat.

PS Ignore the bookies they're not interested who takes over as long as they make a quick buck and they make that buck by choosing a new favourite the longer the charade goes on. Has Randy got shares in Coral???????

What about van Gaal with AZ Alkmaar??? He went there won the league and got them in the champions league. I had never bloody heard of them before he went there !

Are you just saying that to put everyone off the scent though

I am off to the bookies to but 365k on Scolari right now

If I were you I would believe me and stake 366k on it.

What about van Gaal with AZ Alkmaar??? He went there won the league and got them in the champions league. I had never bloody heard of them before he went there !

Replace 'van Gaal' with 'McClaren' and 'AZ Alkmaar' with 'FC Twente'.

Owen Coyle's achievements in 8 years of football management

Honours

Burnley

* 2008–09: The Championship Playoff Winner (promotion to the Premier League) – Burnley

* The Championship Manager of the Month - September 2008

Bolton Wanderers

* Premier League Manager of the Month - November 2010

WOW

I think that says it all really NO THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tell me what Hughes has done? Tell me what Moyes has done?

Crazy post!