• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

I agree with you Stu. We will not get Champions League anytime soon without spending megabucks. Lets be brutally honest Spurs sell their allocation no problem even Everton do, we have us who threaten to return ours if the board don't act in a specific way. Us fans want to shop at Aldi when we demand ST prices remain low but then want our owner to shop at Harrods. He has enquired for Ancellotti and no doubt he requested permission to speak to Moyes but to put it in simple terms they don't want to come to us.

Then we should not promise it in the first place.

At least we now know why our best players want to **** off :winkold:

At the time they promised it was a time when the beast of City wasn't around. City have blown it out of the water, no doubt someone will mention Spurs who by the way have spending considerable amounts for years. I honestly believe we would have got Champions League had we appointed someone other than MON and i was a fan of his, just think of the money he's spunked up the wall, it's laughable. We laugh at Benitez but just look at how much money he has spent on defenders.

Knight 4.5

Davies 10

Cuellar 7.8

Collins 5

Dunne 6

Warnock 8

Shorey 4.5

Young 5.5

then you add

Harewood 4.5

Sidwell 5

Heskey 3.5

Whats scary is that the last 3 is the money which equates to us buying Bent from Spurs.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Randy, show some fcuking ambition or i, and thousands like me will also be doimng a sabatical away from Villa Park.

WE ARE FIRMLY BACK TO THE DAYS OF UNCLE DOUG, AND YOU CAN STICK IT :twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted:

ta'ra then.

Villa till I die

Now would you all take back these comments if we hire Martinez and we finish 4th next year, win the FA Cup whilst playing Barcelona'esq type football with Richard Dunne being fundamental to our success? ;)

I'm coming round to the possibility that it'll be Martinez, the only worry i have is the defence, his teams ship a lot of goals, no prem team, no matter how bad they are, should ship 9's and 8's, once could be a fluke, but twice?! all in all hoped for more but definitely could have been worse.

In all seriousness can you name a member of the Wigan first choice back four that would be first choice at any other prem team?

Also King Carlos can once again sit on his throne as I think he may just be first choice CB under Martinez and that can only be a good thing!!

I guess we have asked for permission to talk to Moyes as well, but I do think Everton told us no.So what do we do then? It seems pretty obvious that Lerner likes to du business in the right manner, so I guess he would take no for an answer. That brings it down to who is avaliable and who would sign for us? If the plan is to get in a young an up and comming manager who can stay long term, I really can not think of a much better choice than Martinez. You can say Rijkard, Hughes, Klinsmann etc etc, but honestly I do believe that Martinez is a better choice than that... Martinez surely has the experience to keep his head cold in situatons with geat preasure, he seems extremely popular with both the fans and the players. He has a big standing with his chairman. He is 37, he wants to play attractive footbal, he always give it at go no matter who the oppsition is and he does not seem like who takes bullshit from players... Got to say, I am starting to like this...

Now would you all take back these comments if we hire Martinez and we finish 4th next year, win the FA Cup whilst playing Barcelona'esq type football with Richard Dunne being fundamental to our success? ;)

Of course, but that's never going to happen is it..

I tell ya what, if that happens i'll give you £100K. If it don't, you give me £1K.

? No, thought not.

I wouldn't have put Martinez in my top 10 choices...

but now it looks like he is coming, i will give him my support 100% (like i do with any new manager).

I would hope & expect ALL Villa fans to do the same.

debate, but do not moan & complain. :|

If Martinez is the best we can do, then I can't see Young and Downing being with us next season. They won't see the possibilities of Martinez being another Moyes/Ferguson. It doesn't say much for the package being offered to managers if we've been refused all around us. Nothing against Martinez, but to go from Ancellotti and Moyes to Martinez, is like a Hyperion to a satyr.

That said, I really don't think he will be the manager next season.

A bit of a presumtion there Yillan, "They wont see the possibilities" come on, you dont know that :winkold: I would not say I am really happy about the appointment if it happens but I will support him though to be honest the way the betting has been going anything could happen.

We are seeing that people the press linked us with have not even been approached so we have no idea if we have been turned down by anybody so I would not even be thinking of doubting the packages to managers.

I go for a piss and I have 3 more pages of posts to read, its getting mad! :lol: It only took the mention on this board about Ranieri being an idea and all of a sudden the bookies are taking him into consideration!

At present all the only fact we know is that we have been given permission to speak to Martineze, thats it! we dont even know if GH will still be at the club in some form which actually excites me a little to know an up and coming manager would have the support off GH.

I wouldn't have put Martinez in my top 10 choices...

but now it looks like he is coming, i will give him my support 100% (like i do with any new manager).

I would hope & expect ALL Villa fans to do the same.

debate, but do not moan & complain. :|

This

Don't forget Moyes came close to getting Everton relegated a few years back.

Don't forget Moyes came close to getting Everton into the Champions League a few years back.

Don't forget Moyes came close to getting Everton relegated a few years back.

Don't forget Moyes came close to getting Everton into the Champions League a few years back.

I know. Just saying that eventhough Martinez struggled near the bottom he could be good. Moyes is a very good manager and I'd prefer him to Martinez but it doesn't look likely right now does it?

If we went back and appointed Moyes from Preston then everyone on here would be saying WTF is Randy doing.

We can't compete financially with the CL clubs and we all know it. So what if we got a "big name" manager in to attract the "big name" players. We still either couldn't afford the transfer fee and/or their wages. Therefore a "big name" manager <> CL football.

Like others, I'm warming to the idea of Martinez. A young and promising manager, good man-manager (did you see the Wigan players hoisting him on their shoulders after surviving relegation?) and tries to play attractive football. We provide him with significantly more funds than he's had before and who knows where he can take us? I also like the idea of him staying here for a number of years.

For those saying he'll be off to a big CL like any other manager if he's successfull - you may well be right. But he'd have been successful for that to happen - and that's what we all want isn't it?

I'm coming round to the possibility that it'll be Martinez, the only worry i have is the defence, his teams ship a lot of goals, no prem team, no matter how bad they are, should ship 9's and 8's, once could be a fluke, but twice?! all in all hoped for more but definitely could have been worse.

In all seriousness can you name a member of the Wigan first choice back four that would be first choice at any other prem team?

Also King Carlos can once again sit on his throne as I think he may just be first choice CB under Martinez and that can only be a good thing!!

It's not just about defenders, it's about how you organize them and how much support you want them to have from the rest of the outfield players. Martinez seems a bit 'gung-ho' from what I understand, which probably would put a lot of defenders under pressure, and that demands some very good defenders in order to work. Or an attacking element that is so good that the opposition rarely gets any opportunities to surge forward in numbers.

I will be worried if it is Martinez. I'm not sure of him at all, and I doubt he'll be able to attract the level of quality we need. In fact, I think we will loose both Downing and Young if he comes and we'll struggle to replace them. I'd hate for us to have another season like last season, possibly even worse. I do think that you under certain circumstances can make appointments such as this, but IMO the timing is wrong. We've had a gazillion managers over that last year, we have some very good players leaving and we are in a delicate position. We need to get someone in that can boost us in terms of morale, style and prestige as well as results. The last point is something that is never guaranteed no matter who you appoint, but Marinez will bring a lot of uncertainty and anxiety amongst both fans and players, and we really don't need that right now.

I will support any manager appointed by Lerner though. He is a good owner and I don't doubt his love for the club or his willingness to do what he thinks is best for Aston Villa.