• Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MM will lose credibility if it's Martinez! Lerner will regret this appointment if we are in the bottom 6 after 8 games. The fans will vote with their feet!

An inexperienced manager at this time will be suicide. If true, we can assume we are happy to survive...........

Martinez...

No thank you, he's ok for a lower table side but were supposed to have ambitions of the top 6? Or are they alot lower... Considering the article about Benitez earlier mentioned something about him watching a sizable transfer budget to bring in his own players perhaps Lerner is going for the cheaper option and is happy with us finishing midtable at best every season.

disaster

we should have just stuck with houllier

What's wrong with Martinez? He's done reasonably well at Wigan, and has them playing excellent football. Worth a punt.

He's kept them up by the skin of their teeth, that isn't "reasonably well". And the fact that they pass it around a bit and generally get thrashed isn't excellent football in my book. If this is true, it proves that Randy Lerner hasn't got much of a clue. Several dud appointments at the Cleveland Browns, and two in a row at Villa. Stick to credit cards mate.

Just a few of the ridiculous knee jerk responses that Villa fans are getting a bad reputation for, its depressing we're worse than bloody barcode fans at times!

If it was down to some it would be SO easy, like ask him he will say yes, if he says no then its all Lerners fault, err ok that makes sense!

Some of the managers that everyone are creaming themselves to get started somewhere, were not amazing back then but were seen as decent young managers learning their trade, taking the step up each time.

Whats wrong with finding a young up and coming manager, to stay with us for 10+ years building a solid foundation for us to continue improving?

People were quite happy to give Lambert a go i think from the last poll, a young up and coming manager, with no premier league experience but kind of a 'name' for doing what he's done with Norwich. For all you know Norwich might go straight back down with the manager some were quite keen on.

Whats wrong with giving it a go? If people think we're just going to hire Carlo, or Moyes and just continue finishing top 4 next year just like that your dreaming!

I appreciate his record is not great but he is also recognised as a decent manager still learning and improving.

I hope that folk get behind him if he is appointed and actually give him a go before mouthing off at how shit everything is at Villa, almost as if you could do any better!

I like the idea of a young manager coming to Villa, staying here for longer than the usual 3/4 years and building a decent team, bringing through our home grown players whilst adding in the odd big money signing. The players will be settled know who they are playing for and what is expected and we can build and hopefully improve year on year.

If he does come he can bring N'Zogbia and that massively underrated central midfielder they have, whats his name Watson?

Regardless of what you think, hold back before its actually the apocalypse rather than trying to bring it on early!

UTV

the only ridiculous post is yours.

everyone else is going on what he has done, you on the other hand have created a magical world of make believe where martinez despite showing no inclination of moulding a decent team, you have him crating a decent team and being successful over 10 years?

you ask what is wrong with getting a young manager and building over 10 years? nothing with a talented manager such as deschamps who has proved from the very start what he is capable of. no scratching around the relegation zone, no piss poor stats each and every season.

lets go back to reality , just for a second or two .. lets do the flip of what you suggest

whats wrong with giving it a go?

hmm

relegation? the good players leaving due to his cluelessness? fans stop going and showing the same lack of respect randy would have shown in the club by making such an appointment?

this isnt fantasy football where you can magically make a shit team great because you are young and enthusiastic. where just because youhave shown no success for the last 2 years making a team worse and almost getting them relegated they move to a larger club and BANG the dirt has gone.

i really do wonder sometimes about the real thoughts people have for villa, WANTING us to employ martinez or someone of his ilk to me shows either an under 16 year old who has no proper thinking or rational, a fantasist who thinks each and every 'young' manager will become fergie or not a fan at all

why do 'fans' under value the club so much they want us to crumble?

If Martinez is the best we can do, then I can't see Young and Downing being with us next season. They won't see the possibilities of Martinez being another Moyes/Ferguson. It doesn't say much for the package being offered to managers if we've been refused all around us. Nothing against Martinez, but to go from Ancellotti and Moyes to Martinez, is like a Hyperion to a satyr.

That said, I really don't think he will be the manager next season.

Mystery Man on H&V

My sources tell me the Board were not even aware that Villa were being linked to Benitez yesterday and found it hilarious to suggest there was even talk of him turning us down over the size of the budget .

Re Martinez can see some of the reasons why we would go for him in terms of building a dynasty his philosphy on how the game could be played and his scouting but being honest would have preffered someone else if it's the case . If he comes I will back him but can't see him being the original first choice.

Listening to radio 1 on the way to work, sounds like the BBC reckon it's Martinez simply because he's the bookies favourite (as was Hughes, FSW, etc) so I'm taking this current speculation with a large pinch of salt. I've no doubt there will be a new favourite by lunchtime.

If Martinez is the best we can do, then I can't see Young and Downing being with us next season. They won't see the possibilities of Martinez being another Moyes/Ferguson. It doesn't say much for the package being offered to managers if we've been refused all around us. Nothing against Martinez, but to go from Ancellotti and Moyes to Martinez, is like a Hyperion to a satyr.

That said, I really don't think he will be the manager next season.

Young was going even if we bloody employed Ancellotti. He wants to play champions league football next season.

His record at Wigan is very average. They should have gone down last season, and if they had would people still want him?

Average? Yes, but what an average club and a bunch of average players...

average? lets get things correct, average is 8th to 12th

has he come close to average?

no

he is in the bottom 4 managers in the premier league, that is a fact.

time to wake up and get out of the dream world some seem to be in.

maybe we could get my mate dave, he manages my sons football team, he is shit but a nice fellow, he is young and the team are always in the bottom 4

to some on here they would want us to have him as the new manager judging by the ill informed dreaming nonsense i have been reaading this morning.

If it's RM its another season of maybe relegation but then pulling away and going mid table. Probs the odd 9-1 here and there.

I'm just shocked that we pay 24m for a goal scorer then look set to get a manger who is not ready for this jump.

If it's RM its another season of maybe relegation but then pulling away and going mid table. Probs the odd 9-1 here and there.

I'm just shocked that we pay 24m for a goal scorer then look set to get a manger who is not ready for this jump.

im presuming it is either for a role as assistant manager or a load of rubbish as clearly he is not up to the job yet.

MM will lose credibility if it's Martinez! Lerner will regret this appointment if we are in the bottom 6 after 8 games. The fans will vote with their feet!

An inexperienced manager at this time will be suicide. If true, we can assume we are happy to survive...........

Martinez...

No thank you, he's ok for a lower table side but were supposed to have ambitions of the top 6? Or are they alot lower... Considering the article about Benitez earlier mentioned something about him watching a sizable transfer budget to bring in his own players perhaps Lerner is going for the cheaper option and is happy with us finishing midtable at best every season.

disaster

we should have just stuck with houllier

What's wrong with Martinez? He's done reasonably well at Wigan, and has them playing excellent football. Worth a punt.

He's kept them up by the skin of their teeth, that isn't "reasonably well". And the fact that they pass it around a bit and generally get thrashed isn't excellent football in my book. If this is true, it proves that Randy Lerner hasn't got much of a clue. Several dud appointments at the Cleveland Browns, and two in a row at Villa. Stick to credit cards mate.

Just a few of the ridiculous knee jerk responses that Villa fans are getting a bad reputation for, its depressing we're worse than bloody barcode fans at times!

If it was down to some it would be SO easy, like ask him he will say yes, if he says no then its all Lerners fault, err ok that makes sense!

Some of the managers that everyone are creaming themselves to get started somewhere, were not amazing back then but were seen as decent young managers learning their trade, taking the step up each time.

Whats wrong with finding a young up and coming manager, to stay with us for 10+ years building a solid foundation for us to continue improving?

People were quite happy to give Lambert a go i think from the last poll, a young up and coming manager, with no premier league experience but kind of a 'name' for doing what he's done with Norwich. For all you know Norwich might go straight back down with the manager some were quite keen on.

Whats wrong with giving it a go? If people think we're just going to hire Carlo, or Moyes and just continue finishing top 4 next year just like that your dreaming!

I appreciate his record is not great but he is also recognised as a decent manager still learning and improving.

I hope that folk get behind him if he is appointed and actually give him a go before mouthing off at how shit everything is at Villa, almost as if you could do any better!

I like the idea of a young manager coming to Villa, staying here for longer than the usual 3/4 years and building a decent team, bringing through our home grown players whilst adding in the odd big money signing. The players will be settled know who they are playing for and what is expected and we can build and hopefully improve year on year.

If he does come he can bring N'Zogbia and that massively underrated central midfielder they have, whats his name Watson?

Regardless of what you think, hold back before its actually the apocalypse rather than trying to bring it on early!

UTV

Sorry for the long quote, but.. Great post. Agree with all of it bar Watson.

IF it is Martinez (I actually voted for him in this poll) that the board will go for I´m all for it.

I want him to sign a minimum of 5 year contract and get the boards full backing and try to build something special here.

Interesting how so many are prepared to state as facts that we will get relegated / will struggle / all the players will leave etc etc based on no facts other than prejudiced opinions.

Villa fans = the new Newcastle, move over Geordies here come a load more deluded than you lot

Mysteryman on H&V

I still think there is another twist but think the main people were Moyes and Ancelotti but if both haven't given any indication they would speak to us let alone join us then it's plan B .

Young hungry manager with prem experience who can create a dynasty aka Moyes who will continue the GH work is probably in their thinking .

I don't think for one minute he won't be given funds to spend and I don't think Downing will go this summer either but his remit will be to get rid of the freeloaders and reduce the wage bill .

Don't think the fans are going to see it as inspired a bit Graham Turner ala 86 in some eyes I suppose but if it's him got to get behind him . Whoever it is aint going to please everybody that's a fact

So much negativity,he's a flop before he has even got the job. If you can't see the idea behind going for Martinez then I don't know what to say to you. If you can't see that if you apply his ideas to a better group of players that team will not be fighting relegation but at least in the top 8, If you can't stretch your brain to See beyond the end of your nose then it's a Shame.

Maybe it's just people wanting the big name to get them wet downstairs. We haven't got the finances to break the top 4. Which means we need a young manager with the right principles to come in and build a wenger type culture at the club.

Not saying it will work,not saying it isn't a gamble. But at least try and be positive until it flops like you think it will.

His record at Wigan is very average. They should have gone down last season, and if they had would people still want him?

Average? Yes, but what an average club and a bunch of average players...

average? lets get things correct, average is 8th to 12th

has he come close to average?

no

he is in the bottom 4 managers in the premier league, that is a fact.

time to wake up and get out of the dream world some seem to be in.

maybe we could get my mate dave, he manages my sons football team, he is shit but a nice fellow, he is young and the team are always in the bottom 4

to some on here they would want us to have him as the new manager judging by the ill informed dreaming nonsense i have been reaading this morning.

To me there is a great deal more management skill in keeping the squad and budget at Wigans disposal in the premier league that there is in keeping a squad of good players with a sprinkling of stars 10th - 6th.

To me there is a great deal more management skill in keeping the squad and budget at Wigans disposal in the premier league that there is in keeping a squad of good players with a sprinkling of stars 10th - 6th.

Agree, and Martinez did it with real style too.