• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

MM will lose credibility if it's Martinez! Lerner will regret this appointment if we are in the bottom 6 after 8 games. The fans will vote with their feet!

An inexperienced manager at this time will be suicide. If true, we can assume we are happy to survive...........

Martinez...

No thank you, he's ok for a lower table side but were supposed to have ambitions of the top 6? Or are they alot lower... Considering the article about Benitez earlier mentioned something about him watching a sizable transfer budget to bring in his own players perhaps Lerner is going for the cheaper option and is happy with us finishing midtable at best every season.

disaster

we should have just stuck with houllier

What's wrong with Martinez? He's done reasonably well at Wigan, and has them playing excellent football. Worth a punt.

He's kept them up by the skin of their teeth, that isn't "reasonably well". And the fact that they pass it around a bit and generally get thrashed isn't excellent football in my book. If this is true, it proves that Randy Lerner hasn't got much of a clue. Several dud appointments at the Cleveland Browns, and two in a row at Villa. Stick to credit cards mate.

Just a few of the ridiculous knee jerk responses that Villa fans are getting a bad reputation for, its depressing we're worse than bloody barcode fans at times!

If it was down to some it would be SO easy, like ask him he will say yes, if he says no then its all Lerners fault, err ok that makes sense!

Some of the managers that everyone are creaming themselves to get started somewhere, were not amazing back then but were seen as decent young managers learning their trade, taking the step up each time.

Whats wrong with finding a young up and coming manager, to stay with us for 10+ years building a solid foundation for us to continue improving?

People were quite happy to give Lambert a go i think from the last poll, a young up and coming manager, with no premier league experience but kind of a 'name' for doing what he's done with Norwich. For all you know Norwich might go straight back down with the manager some were quite keen on.

Whats wrong with giving it a go? If people think we're just going to hire Carlo, or Moyes and just continue finishing top 4 next year just like that your dreaming!

I appreciate his record is not great but he is also recognised as a decent manager still learning and improving.

I hope that folk get behind him if he is appointed and actually give him a go before mouthing off at how shit everything is at Villa, almost as if you could do any better!

I like the idea of a young manager coming to Villa, staying here for longer than the usual 3/4 years and building a decent team, bringing through our home grown players whilst adding in the odd big money signing. The players will be settled know who they are playing for and what is expected and we can build and hopefully improve year on year.

If he does come he can bring N'Zogbia and that massively underrated central midfielder they have, whats his name Watson?

Regardless of what you think, hold back before its actually the apocalypse rather than trying to bring it on early!

UTV

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People keep saying to me how good Martinez is, and I know really know that much about him. However, whenever I have seen Wigan this season they have been terrible. I i'll admit I thought they were nailed on for relegation because of this. I think like alot of supporters this is the only yard stick I haveon him.

just woke up after having a right old nightmare

i dreamt we were linked with yet another manager who is not good enough

this time it was martinez, a manager with a win record of 26%, a manager who took wigan from 11th under the talented steve bruce down to 16th in his first season and then showing a little consistancy, kept them 16th.

i know it is just an interview but do people think this sends a message to the players that we cant attract any top managers and are scraping the barrel when it comes to who we can employ?

if i wanted to employ someone, i would paper sift first and the crap woudlnt be getting my time, so how on gods earth can martinez be getting an interview?

he has done nothing, achieved nothing, won nothing, proved nothing.

im now wondering if this is some ploy to get rid of each and every player a villa on decent wages? i genuinely cant see downing staying, bent staying, makoun staying.

the youngsters would be happy as all the seniour players will have left taking their big wages with them, leaving the door open for them to play

in the championship

unless it is purely in an assistant managers role, i think this is a red herring. randy gambling his entire villa money on someone who has one of the worst records in the premier league, i cant see him being such s retard as doing that.

hopefully the dream i had wont be a reoccurring one and we actually get in a top manager, other wise we will become a laughing stock, which it seems is already happening with the shit we are getting linked with

The thing that worries me is, that if Martinez is our new manager then it goes to show that the spending is going to stop, we are already saying goodbye to AY, i think DJ will follow this summer also.

I know there only rumours but if Rafa turned us down due to lack of funds then we have to start to seriously worry. We spent £25 million in January but i always believed that was because Randy knew that was the only way to keep us up. i hope im wrong, im not against Martinez but if its him he's gonna new someone above him to help.

Does anyone see with Martinez as manager us getting a DoF, Maybe GH will move upstairs if so i'd take the risk, if its just Martinez on his own i fear for our future.

The only to reasons to appoint Martinez there that you have given is:

1. Well, why not give it a go?

2. He might sign N'Zogbia

Now is not the time for gambles. Do this, and even if by some miracle we managed to match the poisition which many thought was awful this year, 9th, then that would better martinez's best finish by 7 places. We need someone who can keep our better players, attract them to the club, and strong enough to sort out clowns like Dunne, some one who can sort out defence out - not someone who has seen 8-0 and 9-1 defeats recently and been beaten 4-0 against Blackburn. He literally ticks none of the boxes.

I wouldn't count your chickens on N'Zogbia either. Sounds like there's a lot less money available to spend.

That might be a good thing, though. The only times he's spent any proper money they've mostly been flops - shit like Jason Scotland, Victor Moses and most laughably, Boselli for £6million who was dumped 6 months later because he stank so much.

Yes, you bought Bent, but after two years of not spending. It feels as if Randy has got bored now tbh.

Just discovered an interesting stat, the only teams to have lost less games than Wigan last year are....

• Man U
    Chelsea
    Man City
    Arsenal
    Spurs
    Everton
    Fulham

So if we hire Martinez....

... we can expect to move up 1 spot?

or the other stats

wigan had the 3rd worst win record, only birmingham and west ham had worse. winning 9 games all season in the league

wigan had the 3rd worst goal for/against record in the premier league

wigan had the 2nd worst goals scored record in the league

hmmm, they dont sound too attacking, progressive, attractive to watch, successful or organised to me

which is why randy wont be hiring this guy as a manager in the forseable future.

in 5 years if he has managed to improve wigan to higher than 16th and escaping relegation on the last day of the season then he may be worth a look, if we are in the bottm half of the table or looking at relegation. otherwise... move along really, there is less to see here than hughes who has proved nothing, mcclaren who has at least won something and benitez who was the pick of a terrible bunch so far.

enough joking around randy, these smoke screens are now starting to make villa look small time, just sign up ancelotti or van gaal and stop this media circus which has developed and more importantly, started to make a mockery of the things you have built up at the club.

dont forget, darren bent stated he has been checking the media to see who we will be getting as he has no idea. do you think he will be laughing at the prospect of having to working with shit?

i bet he isnt.

Sorry but I can't quite see why Martinez is highly rated by some.

His record at Wigan is very average. They should have gone down last season, and if they had would people still want him?

His dealings in the transfer market look decidedly dodgy. Can't see many decent acquisitions in his time.

He's been at the helm when Wigan have conceded 8 to Chelsea and 9 to Spurs.

This "catalan style" someone talked about? Can't say I've noticed it. I've seen a woefully inconsistent team saved by a couple of players that Martinez inherited.

Somebody explain him to me, cos I just don't get it.

MM will lose credibility if it's Martinez! Lerner will regret this appointment if we are in the bottom 6 after 8 games. The fans will vote with their feet!

An inexperienced manager at this time will be suicide. If true, we can assume we are happy to survive...........

Martinez...

No thank you, he's ok for a lower table side but were supposed to have ambitions of the top 6? Or are they alot lower... Considering the article about Benitez earlier mentioned something about him watching a sizable transfer budget to bring in his own players perhaps Lerner is going for the cheaper option and is happy with us finishing midtable at best every season.

disaster

we should have just stuck with houllier

What's wrong with Martinez? He's done reasonably well at Wigan, and has them playing excellent football. Worth a punt.

He's kept them up by the skin of their teeth, that isn't "reasonably well". And the fact that they pass it around a bit and generally get thrashed isn't excellent football in my book. If this is true, it proves that Randy Lerner hasn't got much of a clue. Several dud appointments at the Cleveland Browns, and two in a row at Villa. Stick to credit cards mate.

Just a few of the ridiculous knee jerk responses that Villa fans are getting a bad reputation for, its depressing we're worse than bloody barcode fans at times!

If it was down to some it would be SO easy, like ask him he will say yes, if he says no then its all Lerners fault, err ok that makes sense!

Some of the managers that everyone are creaming themselves to get started somewhere, were not amazing back then but were seen as decent young managers learning their trade, taking the step up each time.

Whats wrong with finding a young up and coming manager, to stay with us for 10+ years building a solid foundation for us to continue improving?

People were quite happy to give Lambert a go i think from the last poll, a young up and coming manager, with no premier league experience but kind of a 'name' for doing what he's done with Norwich. For all you know Norwich might go straight back down with the manager some were quite keen on.

Whats wrong with giving it a go? If people think we're just going to hire Carlo, or Moyes and just continue finishing top 4 next year just like that your dreaming!

I appreciate his record is not great but he is also recognised as a decent manager still learning and improving.

I hope that folk get behind him if he is appointed and actually give him a go before mouthing off at how shit everything is at Villa, almost as if you could do any better!

I like the idea of a young manager coming to Villa, staying here for longer than the usual 3/4 years and building a decent team, bringing through our home grown players whilst adding in the odd big money signing. The players will be settled know who they are playing for and what is expected and we can build and hopefully improve year on year.

If he does come he can bring N'Zogbia and that massively underrated central midfielder they have, whats his name Watson?

Regardless of what you think, hold back before its actually the apocalypse rather than trying to bring it on early!

UTV

Well done for pointing out some of the ridiculous and disrespectful comments made on this thread. It beggars believe, it really does.

Let's be honest here, Martinez keeping a team like Wigan in the Premiership is a far greater achievement and display of managerial prowess than Houllier scraping a team like Villa into 9th place. Wherever Martinez has been, he has got the best out of his players and those players have wanted to play for him.

RL will invest money into Villa but he's no mug and he wants a guy who will give him a return. MON wasted money by falling out with half the side and refusing to play highly paid players and GH was looking to invest in some quite bizarre and unproven talents.

There is no bang on perfect option for Villa but Martinez excites me and I think he has the potential to deliver here ........ he also serves to stop us recruiting clowns like Benitez, Hughes and McLaren !!!

His record at Wigan is very average. They should have gone down last season, and if they had would people still want him?

Average? Yes, but what an average club and a bunch of average players...

They "should" of gone down but didn't... isn't that a credit to the manager?

Remember Moyes was an unknown entity when he took the Everton job...

I'm not actually that pro Martinez, but with some of the nonsense being spoken on here I end up defending him... unreal.

He had chances to buy players who weren't average.

They "should" of gone down but didn't... isn't that a credit to the manager?

Remember Moyes was an unknown entity when he took the Everton job...

I'm not actually that pro Martinez, but with some of the nonsense being spoken on here I end up defending him... unreal.

I'd hoped for better than "average" but it sounds like the doors have been closing on us with regards to the top managers.

Whilst there are a lot of very emotional and also well reasoned arguments in this thread, we should also remember that Brian Little and John Gregory "came out of nowhere" (in a manner of speaking) with no real Premiership CV behind them to get the Villa to relative success. Maybe we are being greedy in wanting a "star name' as manager, when the reality is that maybe we don't actually need a star name to get us higher up the table and relative success.

That is not to say that a "star name" won't attract/keep the best players - it's a bit of a vicious circle, I guess.

Invest money?! This man paid 7-8m for Di Santo :-s

Do you mean Boselli??? Di Santo was on loan from Chelsea IIRC **edit - he was signed but for £2m - and Boselli cost £6.5m **

I like Martinez, admire the way he sets his team up but think he's 'too nice' to be a winner!

Wouldn't be dead against him becoming manager but not cock-a-hoop either..

Wouldn't mind him bringing N'Zogbia, McCarthy and Rodellega along for the ride though!