• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

Now would you all take back these comments if we hire Martinez and we finish 4th next year, win the FA Cup whilst playing Barcelona'esq type football with Richard Dunne being fundamental to our success? ;)

I tell ya what, if that happens i'll give you £100K. If it don't, you give me £1K.

? No, thought not.

Jeez, I thought the :winkold: would imply it's a joke...

But how can you be sure that Martinez will be shit at Villa? During parts of last season people were calling for Randy to take a risk and appoint a young and upcoming manager. Martinez is a young and upcoming manager no? Everton took a risk on Moyes didn't they? Likewise Man United and Alex Ferguson.

Not saying that Martinez would be successful, but by not tasking risks shows that Randy will settle for mediocrity.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Readin BBC sport, it seems its far from a done deal.

But I will be very pleased with this appointment if it happens.

Young, Hungry, Great temprament - teams play good football. We have no idea what this guy is capable of given a chance.

Exactly what we need if you ask me!!

If what the papers today are saying is true and Mr Lerner has indeed decided on Martinez then I for one give up on this club. Mr Lerner is a good man but that decision would expose him as someone content with rank mediocrity.

If investing 120 Million of your own money, then loaning a further 80 million is considered "rank mediocrity", I should be ashamed of my contribution.

We don't deserve an owner like Randy Lerner with fans like you - no disrespect, but I wouldn't blame any other team for having a "lets laugh at villa" thread, a lot of the comments in this forum have been nothing short of what you would expect from a stroppy spoiled toddler.

Here is one for you all,a high profile foreign manager is at Villa today for a meeting. Would i be happy with him ?? yes and is it Martinez ?? no.

Spill it...

Still dont think it'll be Martinez, get the impression that he'll be one of possibly 3 managers still being looked at, with Coyle and Moyes the other 2. Martinez will be sounded out to take the role on from early next week if the other 2 don't come off, but I dont think we'll have given up on Moyes just yet.

Here is one for you all,a high profile foreign manager is at Villa today for a meeting. Would i be happy with him ?? yes and is it Martinez ?? no.

Who is it, and how do you know?

Martinez would be a totally underwhelming appointment if it's him, given the calibre of manager that's available out there at the moment.

Is he the man to get us into the Champions League? Of course not.

He's a man who will agree to work with a limited budget. Martinez would just about sum up our limited ambition as a club, and we will lose our best players (again). The board had the chance to appoint a manager who could have created a real buzz of optimism around the whiole place and perhaps persuaded the better players that their future lay at VP.

Dperessing if it's true.

In all seriousness can you name a member of the Wigan first choice back four that would be first choice at any other prem team?
Figueroa, here. So yes, I can. :thumb:

OMG!! Is it Gerard Houllier!!?

Or more "ITK" crap I've read in this thread over the last 10 days?

Let's all be patient shall we and not end up leaving ourselves in dissapointment.

In all seriousness can you name a member of the Wigan first choice back four that would be first choice at any other prem team?
Figueroa, here. So yes, I can. :thumb:

One wonder goal then a lot of very shit performances followed. No thanks.

If it's Martinez I think it's somewhat of a safe choice and perhaps typifies the tedium of our regime. I admire the fans who are keen to get behind the manager, and I'd be one of them should this appointment go ahead. Regardless, Wigan have struggled these past two seasons attempting to play the 'right' way. Personally, I don't give a shit how we play as long as we win. A win feels the same no matter how we get there, a loss feels the same whether we've played well during the match or played shite. Then again that's just my opinion. Maybe some like to get beaten playing good football.

Martinez could go into Arsenal and do well simply because of the ethos already embedded in the club. I'm not too sure he could have the same effect here, after all we still have Collins and Dunne at centre-half. Some players balked at GH's implementation of a more focussed passing game, I can't imagine what they'd think when someone with Martinez's ideals comes in - although GH had the pull to attract players and was a proven winner I doubt we could label Roberto with this either.

I may have been a bit more excited about this potential appointment if once again it didn't seem like the last resort of a board so intent in not 'upsetting' other clubs. I can't help but think we'd be in for another season of disappointment, perhaps even worse. We wont have Young, perhaps not even Downing. Let's hope he can take Houllier's changes in his stride and continue to 'improve' the ethos within the club.

Martinez would be a totally underwhelming appointment if it's him, given the calibre of manager that's available out there at the moment.

He's a man who will agree to work with a limited budget. Martinez would just about sum up our limited ambition as a club, and we will lose our best players (again). The board had the chance to appoint a manager who could have created a real buzz of optimism around the whiole place and perhaps persuaded the better players that their future lay at VP.

Dperessing if it's true.

Who are these managers that will create a buzz (because thats so important in the long run) and how do you know that we didn't ask them?

Its stuff like this which is nonsense in my opinion.

You might as well say, well we didn't try and sign Kaka, we have no ambition and created no 'buzz'!

We no longer have ambitions of being a top 6 club folks.

Time to bite the bullet and watch us compete with the likes of sunderland and stoke next season for a midtable slot.

Prove me wrong Martinez please.

Why Moyes?

If you thought MON was fustrating in a 'why doesnt he change anything?' kind of way, then you will be equally if not more so, fustrated at Moyes.

He sticks with a direct 4-3-3, no matter what. Everton lose home games against teams they shouldnt do, although most teams do. His football isnt that brilliant, he's unearthed some good talent, but he's also stuck with some players who are really not up to scratch (tony hibbert..)

He finished 4th once, which is great, but since then, they haven't done much. He's had more money than what people let on, he's not this archetypal poor manager..

I've never understood what the big clamour for him to come here is about..

Under GH we've started to see us pass the ball around, retain possession, something we couldnt do for diddly squat with MON in charge.

I think trying to get Moyes would undo basically what GH tried to do for an entire year.

I want someone who can carry on with the change in style. Someone who can change our philosphy. To be calm in possession, look for the pass and not always rely on hitting channels and getting the ball forward as quickly as possible. I believe that person is Rijkaard/Poyet.

Dperessing if it's true.

We will not get in the Champions League without spending above 100Million.

Don't forget Moyes came close to getting Everton relegated a few years back.

Don't forget Moyes came close to getting Everton into the Champions League a few years back.

I thought Moyes actually got Everton into the CL a few years back, didn't they finish 4th one season?

We no longer have ambitions of being a top 6 club folks.

Time to bite the bullet and watch us compete with the likes of sunderland and stoke next season for a midtable slot.

Prove me wrong Martinez please.

Just because the manager isn't your choice.

Dperessing if it's true.

This about sums up my feelings. My only hope is that there are others being interviewed that we don't know about, and this is Randy making sure no stone is left unturned.